The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:26 pm 

Here we go, me & Cobe ... We are real beginners, had 2 lessons from Josepha (but hardly practised anything :blush: ) and mostly we're just fooling around and trying some things ... I read on there the topic Miriam wrote about point to point and I wanted to try that, because I thought he would like it (because you have to do something for a limited time and you know the endpoint) and I was right :applause: He did great! And did more than I expected! :D

Cobe is a special hore, it would lead me too far to tell everything, but things that are normal with other horses (lunging f.e.) aren't normal with him .. he just didn't do it a while ago .. now he does! But him doing the normal things are already very special to me, so it might seem that I'm overexcited about something someone else finds normal. Sorry for that :razz:

This was the very first time I did the point to point .. The goal was to make it clear for him that he had to go from one cone to another, and that it ended there. Had no idea what I would get from him, but I got a lot! He even trotted! He never did that before when I asked .. He does it when I'm driving, like when you're in a lunging-position, but never when I was in front or next to him .. And now he did! :D He wasn't very happy :funny: but he did it ... Also the backing-up, he did it so fast! :ieks: It was like he was hurrying to get to the cone, as if he really knew what we were doing ... Great horse! :D

Think that's about it, if there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask ;)
And oh yeah .. he loves my camera .. that's what you see in the beginning 8) And he loves the cones too! (was the first time he saw them) :funny: And last thing: he's very, very itchy :sad: The good thing about that is that he takes care of his own stretching 8)

Have fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szgZERTgsWc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:52 am 

It's always inspiring to read the training diary of another. I'm certainly enjoying yours. As for thinking you might be overexcited ... forget it. I've messed about with horses, with 20 years as a professional in there somewhere, since I was 10 years old (1945).

When my Bonnie or Altea do something special for or with me I TOO get "over-excited." No doubt I always will.

You are so lucky to have Josepha for a teacher and coach. Take advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:57 pm 

I don't have a problem with being (over)excited anymore, when he does something good I let him know. Don't want to know what the neighbours think at certain points tho :funny: But it's just .. I can be so happy when I can just lunge him, while others will have something like "is that all? Every horse should do this, it's only normal". That's more what I ment ;)

And I'm very lucky to have Josepha around, very true! Now I need to find the time to really practise :blush: At the moment it's not going well, very busy at work and he's very itchy. Have to wash him now with certain things and it should be ok by the end of the week. Hope we can do some training then, because now it's no fun (you can also see it in the vid that's he's very itchy and that's not fun for both.. ).

We'll see how it goes, I'm not in a hurry :smile: