The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Birgit wrote:
I just listened to this one, my favorite so far, Jill Bolte Taylor, a brain scientist sharing her experience of a stroke that disabled the left side of her brain.

Oh yes, I also like this one a lot. My favourite one at the moment is the talk by Ben Dunlap (I edited it into my first post last week), sometimes I even let it run in the background while I am doing something else. :funny:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Two lovely talks about biomimicry by Janine Benyus:

12 sustainable design ideas from nature
Biomimicry in action

At the university where I work we have a wonderful botanics professor who is working in this field too, but unfortunately he has no videos online...

And some more biomimicry of movement by Robert Full:

Secrets of movement, from geckos and roaches
How engineers learn from evolution
Learning from the gecko's tail

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

A few talks about creativity and learning:

Sir Ken Robinson, speaking about awakening creativity in children. It's not from the TED conference this time, but there he also has a talk (Do schools kill creativity?) and that's where I first saw him.

Seems to fit very well into AND. :smile:

Another great talk about education, from an Indian man presenting a solution to the problem that good teachers won't go to the places where they are needed most:

Sugata Mitra's new experiments in self-teaching

Not really about education of children, but invaluable for education of adults:

Trial, error and the God complex (Tim Harford)

And this one - about creating an environment where poor people can develop their potentials - is just totally and completely awesome:

Bunker Roy: Learning from a barefoot movement

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 pm 

Romy wrote:
Sir Ken Robinson, speaking about awakening creativity in children. It's not from the TED conference this time, but there he also has a talk (Do schools kill creativity?) and that's where I first saw him.

Seems to fit very well into AND. :smile:

Romy,
thanks for passing these on. I think I already know the answer but I always like to see more evidence. This will be interesting. :yes:
Birgit

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hope you liked it, Birgit! :smile: I ordered his latest book and am looking forward to reading it very much.

On another note, I just realized that some weeks ago I must have forgotten to link to Majora Carter's talk, which I can't find in this topic, so I am reposting it: Greening the Ghetto. Watching people like this makes me ever so happy. And hopeful. And thankful. I am so glad that I have a computer with internet which enables me to listen to all those amazing people - what a privilege. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:30 am 

Hi Romy,
We finally found time to listen to the talk "Do schools kill creativity"(still haven't had time for the longer presentation). Sir Ken Robinson has a wonderful sense of humor. My husband I both enjoyed his talk a lot, my husband being a university professor (in history), and we are both homeschooling parents of a daughter who is a very kinesthetic learner. I agree with everything that Sir Robinson had to say but also still struggle occasionally with not giving in to pressure from the culture all around us. Many well-meaning people believe that our daughter would be better served if we sent her to school where academic subjects have priority over arts, athletics and life skills. They assume that because my husband and I have college degrees that surely that must be the path that we want to see our daughter on. They assume that the inflation of education that Sir Robinson talks about means that it is critical to get as much college education as possible rather than looking outside the traditional educational structure. I know there are so many people here with artistic talents and interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligence who fulfill their calling in life regardless of their formal education. I hope this is an encouragement to all of them to do what their heart shouts at them. :f: :f: :f: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Here is another wonderful talk: Elizabeth Gilbert: A new way to think about creativity

Elizabeth Gilbert is musing about creativity as something that is not only coming from the inside of a person... and how this notion could change the anxiety related to not being as good as you once were or could possibly be. :f:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

These days I am re-watching some talks that I already liked when I first saw them, and I have absolutely no idea why I did not post this one in the first place: Dave Eggers: Once upon a school

SO inspirational! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:17 am 

I just listened to this 5 minute TED talk and thought: How could we apply this to the concept of collection?

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TED ... B2iYzKeej8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:36 am 

Here is a talk by Daniel Pink on motivation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrkrvAUb ... re=related

Birgit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:22 pm 

This is Martin Seligman talking about psychology of happiness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FBxfd7DL3E

I thought we all needed a reminder. :)

Birgit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting the Martin Seligman talk, so nice to see it again. :)

I have also edited some talks into older posts where they fitted in, and I am continuing to do that as I watch more. So if someone is interested in this topic, best also re-check those older posts sometimes.

Here's a short one that resonates very strongly with me (probably because I am so not a hero either :smile:): Mark Bezos: A life lesson from a volunteer firefighter

Are people selfish, stupid and lazy? In a short but very insightful talk Dave Meslin illustrates how people are being discouraged from taking an active role in influencing their environment: The antidote to apathy

In this talk Emiliano Salinas speaks about Mexico and the main problem people are facing there. However, it's not limited to Mexico at all but probably relevant with regard to any social interaction we take part in: Se Buscan Ghandi's

Philip Zimbardo: Why ordinary people do evil... or do good

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:53 am 

Great message! We watched it as a family and had a good discussion with our daughter about how we can all make a difference. We ended up talking about the Categorical Imperative and the difference between knowing what is the right thing to do and doing it. :)

Birgit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:07 am 

I watched this one a few days ago and I really related to it. It's a lovely analysis of a human nature that seems so obvious. Kathryn Schultz: On Being Wrong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:02 am 

Have you heard about TEDx Romy? This is a program to initiate independently organised TED type events out into the communities. Also very very cool. I know someone in Taiwan who's been organizing them here. Taipei has hosted two so far, and.. I'm working all the time so haven't been able to get to one yet. :sad: I've been asked if I'll think about speaking at the next one though, so if I do, I guess that will be the excuse I need to take some time off work and go. :green:

Have a look around everyone.. there might be TEDx events near you which you can go and share in. All kinds of topics go up for discussion. It's a great chance for networking and spreading good ideas. :)