The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Heather Moffett saddles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:54 pm 

Has anyone had any experience with Heather Moffett Enlightened Equitation saddles? Here is her website: www.enlightenedequitation.com . We're selling a lot of our tack and to replace the ReactorPanel we got at such a good deal, I'm able to splurge on a little more expensive saddle. I keep coming back to the Fhoenix -- it looks SOOOOOOO comfortable. :green: :yes: :love: Has anyone ridden in it? Do the set-back stirrup bars put you off balance? How is it for weight distribution for the horse?

Thank you!! :f:

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:47 am 
Site Admin

I was the first distributor of Heather's saddles as she is not very keen on tack shops and we were the first Classical Academic tack shop I think (And the first bitless for sure :green: )

I always loved the saddle and still do :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:20 am 

Hi Makana,
I use the fheonix saddles (not the new vogue..yet :) ) and I really like them and most importantly my horses are very happy in them.
I think the new vogue will be amazing because with mine I do find the twist a bit wide. Also until you get used to them they feel very huge. I remember when I first rode in one about 5 years ago and described it as feeling like I was riding in a huge nappy :blush: but they have improved massively since then and it seems, keep improving.
The only other critisism I have is that the back end of the saddle can move a bit as it is very thick. The saddles mold to the horses backs but depending on the horse the back part of the panels can "sit off" a bit. Sorry a bit difficult to describe, so you have to try to allieviate that with what you put underneath.
I have one on loan to a client of mine at the moment and her horse is much happier. She is sitting much better too :D
Please tell us all about the new vogue, if you get one!
All the best
Colette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:37 pm 

Thanks, Josepha and Colette! I saw "Equihof" on the list of distributors of saddles and thought OH! OH! I KNOW THEM! Haha, doesn't take much to get me excited... 8)

I'm glad you've had good experiences with them so far. I tend to really like the wide-twist saddles (ones that I think are fantastic others think are splitting their hips apart... :roll: ) so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking of probably going for a Fhoenix GP... don't think I'll be able to afford a Vogue, and also prefer the more VSD style of the Fhoenixes (that's a funny word...) to the VSS style of the Vogues. So we'll see. Of course, it's one of those things where I feel a little guilty for even looking, because we haven't sold our RP yet. But it's fun to look...

Do the Suberpanels make a big difference? They look really nice, better weight distribution. Have you found that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:54 pm 

Hi Makana,
personnally I dont like the suber panels. It seems quite odd to me and you have to soak them before use I think. Josepha is probably better qualified to answer that though!
Colette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:19 pm 

you don't have to soak them :-) before using. It is not a problem when you have washed it and it is still wet, even then you can use it. But dry also.
Or when it is raining ofcourse ;)
I dont know if the suberpannel is still available. Because i know that there were some troubbles with the making off.

The difference between the Fhoenix and Vogue is: the vogue have a higher cantle and front. So it is some better for horses with a high wither.
And the seat is a bit uhh..how do you say that...more straight / tight then the fhoenix, here you have more "room" and you can change your seat a bit.
But that is mine opinion, lots of people like the "one seat" so they have more feeling of support of the saddle.

Both saddles are great, a nice soft seat....but expensive ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:47 pm 

inge wrote:
And the seat is a bit uhh..how do you say that...more straight / tight then the fhoenix, here you have more "room" and you can change your seat a bit.

Oh, yes, I know just what you mean, inge. The word is "twist" in English (very strange word, I know... doesn't make much sense, but when did horse terminology ever make sense? ;) Why is the "frog" on the horse's hoof called a "frog," anyway? :) ).

Now I am in another dilemma. I have the opportunity to buy a 17" Suberpanel dressage at a really good price, but I'm concerned that my long legs (I'm 5 ft 8/9 in with long thighs) wouldn't have enough room on the flaps. For those who have ridden in the HM saddles -- what do you think? Josepha? Here are pictures of me riding in a 17" dressage saddle:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1071&start=15

The thing is, we can't really afford to do a trial from a manufacturer to see whether or not I'd fit. But that's not too weird for us -- we've bought several saddles sight-unseen and never done trials.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 pm 

I just looked at your pictures and read a few of the comments after them. I think your riding is absolutely beautiful, wish I could do that. :)
I was wondering about one thing that may be realated to saddle fit. In a couple of the pictures it looked like the saddle was a little high in the pommel and a little low in the cantle, wondering if it was sitting a tad bit too far forward or if your horse just has very high withers. In any case it looked to me in those pictures like you were sitting against the cantle and leaning slightly forward, not just because you were looking down but because your body automatically adjusted to stay balanced. Your horse clearly was very comfortable. I don't have much experience with dressage so could be all wrong on this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:51 pm 

Makana wrote:
inge wrote:

Oh, yes, I know just what you mean, inge. The word is "twist" in English (very strange word, I know... doesn't make much sense, but when did horse terminology ever make sense? ;) Why is the "frog" on the horse's hoof called a "frog," anyway? :) ).

thanks you understand me...
i hope i remember the word for the next time ;)

is there no way to try the saddle?? i would not know if you fit in a 17" saddle. The seat is no problem but the flaps? ....jeee...
yep.... dilemma... :smile:
i think Josepha know more

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:05 pm 

Birgit wrote:
I was wondering about one thing that may be realated to saddle fit. In a couple of the pictures it looked like the saddle was a little high in the pommel and a little low in the cantle, wondering if it was sitting a tad bit too far forward or if your horse just has very high withers.

Yes -- you're just right. I was noticing the same thing when I was looking at the pictures again this morning -- how I would lean forward/sit against the cantle. Part of it is my own imperfect seat ;) :roll: but the other part is, yes, the saddle is sitting up higher at the withers. We got the saddle because it was an absolutely amazing deal, and he definitely seems to like it better than the traditional treed saddles we have, but because I didn't specifically buy it for him, it is too narrow, and sits up in front. Argh, saddles! :D

And inge... I guess it's possible I could have a similar saddle shipped to me to trial, it's just that's kind of expensive. :sad: I'm wondering if it didn't fit, I could probably resell it again and get the money out of it. Maybe we'll do that...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 pm 

I'm just going to weigh in here, sine it doesn't look like anyone has a Vogue.

I got my Vogue dressage since I was a the time fitting 2 different horses....a very wide, barrel shaped Haflinger and Bella. Bella has a very short back and was extremely sensitive about what saddle she liked. I also needed something that I could be comfortable in. I hurt my back very badly, and I was having a very hard time finding a saddle that I could ride in.

The Vogue was absolutely perfect for me. I'm not very big, and I really didn't feel my Haflinger's width at all when I had my Vogue on her. It was totally stable, and nice and soft for my back. And it was the only saddle Bella was comfortable in, and that was really the ultimate test.

There was a bit of an adjustment getting used to the stirrup position. No more fighting the saddle to be in the correct position.

It does come with knee blocks, but I found I didn't really need them.

It is on the pricey side, but its so worth it. And the leather is amazing.