The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Brenda, Lucy and Jack
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:05 am 

Hi all,

I a new to the list, and a beginer at AND so have sooooooo much to learn and teach my horses. I taught Lucy to follow a 'quiet' target and now I am trying to put a little 'wild' back in the game!

Lucy was VERY wild and pouncy when I first started but she frightened me because she came with no training and so really didn't have any boundaries then, didn't understand 'my space, your space'. Also, I didn't know what to do with her energy before finding AND!! Hindsight is 20/20, eh?

So I trained her to follow a target 'relaxed' walk, trot, and canter and use that mainly as a 'pressure free' way to exercise and maintain fitness.

My latest challenge is to teach Lucy that there is a 'target' and then there is a 'TIGER'!!!

Anyway, here's a short clip of Lucy chasing the plastic bag (and me!)in the snow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4v8denlO4M

I LOVE the videos from members here and have learned a lot from watching! I hope to see many more!!

Enjoy! Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:20 am 

Great video Brenda! Looks like Lucy had a blast! :lol:

www.royalhorsecompany.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:43 am 
Site Admin

GREEEAATT You both have so much fun :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:51 am 

Just great!!! Wish I had that free gallop in my Vilja.... :? Really, I would be happy if my horse played like that.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Wow wonderful!!!

And so beautiful in the snow.

Chasing the tiger ... wow, if Monsieur De Pluvinel had known how those horses train their hind quarters... he would have done it everyday and we would have seen it now in the old paintings :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

That would be oh so funny, all those baroque paintings of all those serious Huate Ecole masters chasing tigers with their horses! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:01 pm 

And would it not be delightful to find a rare illustration in some ancient tome, of teaching a horse to do spanish walk with a pool noodle?

Barbara, I LOVED the tiger video, and then I watched a couple more...the riding (was that her first time?) and the knee targeting a pool noodle!

YAY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:05 pm 

This is great too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFCxTfrJ0T8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:59 pm 

Quote:
Karen wrote:
And would it not be delightful to find a rare illustration in some ancient tome, of teaching a horse to do spanish walk with a pool noodle?

Oh too funny!

Quote:
Barbara, I LOVED the tiger video, and then I watched a couple more...the riding (was that her first time?) and the knee targeting a pool noodle!

YAY!

Thanks Karen! One of them was her first ride I think?? Did you see the slo mos of the noodle work? Wow! You can realy see how your timing is!!!

Anyway, YOU inpsired me with your latest video and yesterday I was playing around at the mounting block for a while and then just got on! Bareback with a cordeo (which she knows NOTHING about!). So I did a bit of shaping turns while we walked around for a bit! Very exciting!!! I need to start a diary...

Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:05 pm 

Karen wrote:

Yes! I am hooked on using slow motion to study videos! You see soooo much more when you slow it down! Really can see how the horse is organizing their body, as well as our timing!

In this clip, I 'thought' my timing was O.K. but you can see in the slo mo clip that I am clicking when she lands, instead of clicking the lift, as I intended. I think the animal will still 'get it' but I am very motivated to sharpen my timing, especially for lifts, and other quick, energetic moves!

Thanks for watching! Brenda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:54 pm 

Hi all!

Just wanted to share this clip of my horse Jack having a flipping blast PLAYING (yes I said PLAYING!!!) Tiger games and follow the target on the snowy woods road behind my house!

Jack came to me about 6 months ago as a very shut down, traditionally trained horse, with a 'only speak when spoken to' attitude, and also had laminitis (note his new boots!!). Poor guy...

I have had the hardest time figuring out what he likes to do and how to motivate him. Well, now we have this game for starters!!!

So I have been taking him out around the property at liberty, playing Chase the Tiger and other treat games. And thanks to the ideas I have gotten from AND members, he is truly finding his spirit again through play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYlbfD6GilU

Thanks for watching! Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:41 pm 

Brenda that was so nice and beautiful. I can see the joy in his eyes.

They sure love their boots when they have been sore for so long don't they? It brings me to tears when I think about it.

A friend of mine had lameness issues with her horse for almost the last 2 years, everything was checked, his back, his hocks etc.... finally the culprit was found ( so upsetting ) advanced white line disease.....now after switching to a natural hoof trimmer, getting the proper treatment for the WLD and his brand new BOOTS, he looked like your Jack yesterday :)
everyone at the barn had tears in their eyes
So Glad Jack has you in his life now.
Carrie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:24 pm 

Brenda, I can't view the video until Monday at the office. I can't wait to see it!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Super video!

You wouldn't believe that he was introvert and withdrawn and crippled with laminitis before, if you see him running and bucking like this, what a wonderful job you've done! :D

I'm also intruigued by your tiger! What did you put inside the bag to make such a nice ball? And is it heavy or not? I love how it bounces around your stick, I think the ponies would enjoy that too. Their current tiger is a bit boring I'm afraid because being heavy with rain it doesn't really want to move and flutter anymore. Yours seems like a wonderful solution to that. Please tell us your secret! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:24 am 

Hello Brenda:

What a beautiful video to watch. I hope one day to be able to play with my horses in the woods like you. He looks so happy. It brought tears (joy) to my eyes.
Love watching these videos.

Show us more...
Jocelyne