The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Dear all,

Since I keep get confronted with: 'I also want to ride without a bit but I am afraid I shall hurt my horse when I do' and 'I never saw bitless or bridleless collection so I dare not take of the bridle/bit until I can be sure it is possible'

I thought it would be a good idea that we make a collection of well... collection in riding, here.

All those in doubt, I said it before and I shall say it again and this time I'll some it up:

1. 99% of riders ride with a bit (or two and spurs, whips and sometimes gadgets).
Most dressage riders ride a lot every day with there sole purpose; collection of a horse for high marks in the dressage ring.

AND riders and riders a like have their focus on the relationship with their horse, they no not ride as much nor are there as much AND riders as regular riders!
I think to this day we may be 1%!

2. What lot's of us have come to see as 'collection under the rider' often is not collection at all.
When viewing the best Olympic riders of the world today often one sees horses that are not collected at all.
That is logical, collection is something a horse can do or does for moments at a time, it is not a total state for working or riding!

Natural collection or true collection as we call it come from the horse himself. It can look a bit different than the 'forced collection' our eyes are used to and those are only moments offered by the horse because all ingredients were created by the rider over time.'

3. Professional lenses are always scrutinising those who ride winning medals. So there are always at least one or two ‘perfect pictures’. We all know the other pictures as well.
No ride looks perfect all the time. It does not matter what riding style, there are always perfect pictures and non so perfect or down right horrible.

AND riders have a tendency to show the pictures that are not perfect as well as they aim to learn and their ego is usually not involved. All is for the benefit of their horse, they aim to get better, for their horse at all times so showing mistakes helps them to overcome them.
The few we are in the world, the few times we ride… the chance someone is there with a good camera to shoot those pretty perfect pictures are slim.
However, do you have one or a video even, please place it here.

This is not a section to prove ourselves to those who stand by their filled tack room for guidance and help. I know they will never believe and always think it is not possible and we are pulling their legs.

It is for those who want to go down the road of AND but dare not, facing those 99%, screaming their heads off at them, telling them they will hurt their horse, they get smacked with the pretty perfect pictures of the 99 but get nothing in return from the 1…

It is not to convince or win over, it is to give those we need it a hand they can take to follow the road their heart’s desire but can not face doing so alone afraid their heart could be false…

They are not alone!

So please post your 'pretty perfect' pictures of riding please, bitless or bridleless.
Nicely balanced is okay also if you have not yet pictures of collection by any chance.

Warm regards,

Josepha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Evita the second or third time in trot with a rider on her back. She's the greatest :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Owen after a year of serious ilness ridden for 2 weeks again only in walk and trot.

Jamie after a virus infection and having not been ridden for 4 months, September 2007:

Jamie April 2007

Jamie starting canter!:

Hopefully more to show next year :)

Last edited by Josepha on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Titum´s and my first attempts of collected riding - December 2007

Last edited by Romy on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:28 pm 

All right, because it is for this good use I will post this picture :oops:

It is taken more than a year ago, at the time I still rode and the relationship between me and Amiro was not so well. I did not know much about true collection, and probably Amiro had never truely collected close to humans, so taken all these things in account I don't think this picture is so bad?

And now I realize that at that time I thought it was great what we were doing here. My ideals just have changed a lot!

(Oh, and I see now it is not so clear: but it is bitless!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:26 pm 

*cough* ok. hope i can help with this - not so perfect, but bitless - pictures! :oops:

And, rollkur without a bit? As you wish! :lol:
(Amon loves to have something in his mouth, allways his reins, leadrope, stick, string, everything, except from a bit ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:48 am 

Great pictures.
This is where I'm learning how to saddle, how to sit, how to place my saddle, etc.
This is valuable information for me.
You all look so comfortable on your horses.
One day,.....it'll be my turn.
Thanks to all
Jocelyne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:38 pm 

me bitless pictures come this year in spring :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:39 pm 

uh I thougt that I had some rinding pictures of my and Percella during our training with the cordeo in trot, she collects so beautiful, but I found out that I don't have them, or I lost them or they never were there :pet: ..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

No, but Ralph must have a piece of that on film some where... I've asked him a hundred times... maybe it works better if you ask him for it :green:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:07 pm 

oow :blush:

Im a bit confused these days, terrible :blush:
I'll ask him myself then ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 am 

Only now I've seen this beautiful riding pictures!

And Romy, Titum looks so proud, great!

I wish I could that too, ride like you two. A big wish of mine is that Pan is just as fine in his reactions like Titum: without reins-influence, just a breathing out for a Stop, a weight shift for a Go or a turn.

Let's see... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:50 am 
Site Admin

TakeItEasy wrote:
A big wish of mine is that Pan is just as fine in his reactions like Titum: without reins-influence, just a breathing out for a Stop, a weight shift for a Go or a turn.

If you continue to interact with him as nicely as you do now, I can promise you that we will get there sooner than you can imagine. :smile:

By the way, have you seen this topic Learning to ride... Speedy, or the videos of riding Tamarack and Mucki for the first time?

Riding without reins really isn't something that is just for very advanced people or a few very special wonder horses. Just like you can start interacting on the ground at liberty right from the start, you can do the same with riding. I think it's more a question of whether you are willing to start with very small steps to develop a language together, or whether you want to get certain things done quickly (e.g. steering, different gaits). In the first case, it is possible that for the first few sessions the only thing you do is get on, reward and get off again, or walk just two or three steps and then stop. That's the same thing as we did with groundwork: We did not start by asking Pan for a complete sideways movement but by rewarding any slightest sign of attending to us. And once Pan's motivation and interest in doing focused work will be back, we can do the same with you on top. :f:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:31 pm 

Romy wrote:
By the way, have you seen this topic Learning to ride... Speedy, or the videos of riding Tamarack and Mucki for the first time?

Thanks for the links. Yes, just have viewed it and it is interesting for me to see how other people dare their first riding steps.

Apropos "steps":
Romy wrote:
whether you are willing to start with very small steps to develop a language together,

Small steps. But I'll oriented towards Pan and see what he is willing to do and in which way. The past has showed he learns fast, so I am cautiously optimistic. It's curious: I have a completely trained horse, so I would be able to ride immediately, but I am so looking forward to start from the beginning. :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:57 am 

Here is some pics of pops.

And some recent ones of Bear I found that I haven't posted yet when he was in his cantery jumpy phase (he is a bit over it now). In most of the pics he looks like a giraffe but I found a few cute ones where he is being expressive :P.
ImageImage
ImageImage