The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

After reading Glen's diary today I was wondering how other horses tell their humans when they want them to get off. Showing the human not to get on seems rather easy, but how do they show you when they want you to stop? Do they make certain movements? Do they not react to your subtle cues anymore? Or something entirely different? How do you notice when your horse does not want to be ridden anymore?

Summy does it by slowly lifting his back up and down in standstill, as if he was trying to simulate bucking. He does not do this often (I think I have seen it about three times), but I am ever so glad that he does this - that he has a way of showing me and the children when he does not want to be ridden anymore, so that we can react to that and get off and in that way it will never be necessary for him to speak louder and maybe hurt someone. :)

Titum never asked me or anyone to get off - or maybe he did and I never heard it? I am looking forward to learning from your experiences!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 pm 

This is what I answered in my diary:

He gets reluctant to move with energy, and if I don't notice that then he goes to Plan B, which I find absolutely hilarious ...

:funny: He does his mule impression - ears pointing out sideways (as if pushed by a hat) and feet rooted to the ground, with some long-suffering sighs thrown in for good measure. Poor, exhausted, long-suffering boy - pity me and get off already!

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Owen reactes a lot like Frekkie in many ways. This too.

O just walks to the place I mostly get on and changes into concreet. Nothing left for me to do then just get off. :funny:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:26 pm 

It has been ages ago since I have been on any of my horses,
but the last time Wodan told me he did not want me on his back,
he very softly bucked a bit.
Enough for me to realise he did not like it...

This had all to do with his saddle that hurt his tummy because
he had severe summer itch there. :sad:
When I went on him the next day without saddle,
there was no problem at all anymore.
:love:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 pm 

I honestly can't say that I've been sensitive enough in the past with Diego to notice when he wants me off his back... :blush:

But - there was one really funny incedent a couple of years back when my Mom rode him. He used to be her horse, she bought him so she could ride with me. She rarely rides anymore as life is too busy for her and she always says she's not sure she could manage to ride at the level I do (the feel, the sensitivity etc). Well I rode one day and then after D was tired (she was slightly nervous over his very forward and sometimes explosiveness under saddle) I had her get on to do some walk/trot. She mounted and I walked to the center of the ring:
D tried to follow me... Mom steered him towards the rail.
D slowed to a crawl and then stopped.... Mom urged him on with her legs.
D grudgingly walked along till he came around a corner and pointedly turned his head toward me, eyeing me again like "What the heck? You're on the ground. Take me in, I should be finished now." Then he stopped.

This cycle went on for several minutes until Mom gave up and we both just laughed. The joke was her horse wouldn't even walk forward with her anymore and yet he'd do everything for me. ;) Part of it was probably just circumstances though having done "a day's work" already and also him distinctly sensing that Mom was not balanced like I was.

It's hard to describe the looks he was giving me - because you'd have to meet him yourself. He has very very CLEAR cut Appy expressions and brow-raises. But I was stifling alot of laughs that day. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

I know just what you mean. I know horses who can give such a sigh as soon as they see the saddle, like; 'oh that again... rubbish :roll: '.
But lately almost all my pupils tell me horses line up when they arrive... isn't it just wonderful? :love:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:27 pm 

hihi, Beau does the same as freckles, first the ears and being slower, if I don't get that, he sighs, stops and even turns his head and rolls his eyes in an oh my god way :D

very clear those horses!!!

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:34 am 

Josepha wrote:
O just walks to the place I mostly get on and changes into concreet. Nothing left for me to do then just get off. :funny:

That is exactly what Poppy does :). She just walks to the gate and ignores me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:14 am 

Sora will back up without me telling her to as a cue for me to get off. She figured out that often before I dismounted I would ask her to back because she is so good at it it was always a wonderful way to end the lesson/riding time. Then she just had to teach me to be consistent and get off every time she asked. Training people can be hard work :applause:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:59 am 

how funny to read how these horses communicate if they know somebody is listning.

Right now i don't ride, but i did ride silja some time ago a, just in a walk in the pasture, because she was never really riden and my husband would like to ride out with her, but had a little trouble with her because she didn't know anything and didn't understand what we where asking.

So i did get on her a kopple of times, most without saddle, because i was to lazy to saddle just for a execise att the walk for maybe 15 minutes. :blush: So i used a rock to get on her.
But sometimes, when i did ride to long (in her oppinion) she used to go to the rock and hold still next to it, for me to get of.
I thought it was just a habbit, didn't understand it and noticed she used to get a little irritated when i did continue to ride

Reading you'r storys, makes it clear to me that i was kind of stupid. :blush:
I won't make the same mistake again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:31 pm 

your horse will forgive you.....each time we learn new things about the horse and his behavior. As long as you wanted to learn the horse will help you

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:47 pm 

Frodur stops and looks at my foot, he comes really close with his nose. I am quite sure that this is his sign for "get off now please".