The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:04 am 

I promised a while ago that I would film the Body Balancing exercise that I have found really useful for improving riding balance and flexibility and the fluid lower back and pelvis that allows the riders body to follow the horses gait. A warm up with this before riding makes the horse much happier, and saves me the backache I sometimes experience after a long ride. Has proved invaluable for introducing adult students to riding in balance... without the need to upset the horse!

Here it is.. don't laugh!
(I forget what the original thread was and where I put my slightly complicated :roll: verbal explanation.. I hope the video speaks for itself.)

ARGH! I just checked and found that this is not the vid.. just a pic. Can't upload vid for some reason. Have to sort this out and try again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Please do!

I don't ride for now, but I also always experienced lower back aches when riding (especially on a treed saddle by the way) - so it would be great to be able to prevent that with exercises.

Put it on youtube and enlighten us! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:46 am 

uploading now.....

I have not sought the horse of bits, bridles, saddles and shackles,

But the horse of the wind, the horse of freedom, the horse of the dream. [Robert Vavra]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:58 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqurxh1QME4

Okay.. Finally... a week later, I've managed to get it right!

I hadn't exercised for a while when I made this vid :oops: so I'm not as flexible, high, or balanced as i could be.. but you should get the general idea.

Sue

But the horse of the wind, the horse of freedom, the horse of the dream. [Robert Vavra]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:30 am 

thanks for that sue....just had a look and I'll be trying it out later (when there is no one else about to see my attempts! lol)

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:32 pm 

i can understand that :lol: it see pretty difficult if you do not have practise this before... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:51 am 

Haha! yes!

You can start by putting one hand on the back of a chair for balance, while you work out where your legs are supposed to be going. Then try to do it with your hands free, as thats what gets your lower back and pelvis really unlocked and flowing.

You can think of it as writing a figure "8" lying down on its side, with your knee. So it's up and over, as if your putting your leg over your horse, then down as your knee crossed in front of your standing leg, up, around, back out to the outside, down, then up and over again.

Hmmm... now it's as clear as mud right! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 pm 

I can so see me falling flat on my fase (and butt - st the same time) trying this out!

I can also see how it opens and relaxes the back and hips, and helps improve the thigh rotation.

Excellent exercise!

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:11 pm 

Splendid video Sue!

:-)

It prompted thoughts for a few warmups to this that can help stave off face-planting...
:lol:

Building Awareness

1. Starting in the position Sue starts in (feet shoulder width apart, toes pointing forward -- this is called neutral position in most modern dance techniques, and is the most solid way for us to balance).

2. First, just stand centered like this for a moment, feeling your feet sink into the ground and your head grow to the sky -- no push for active, actual movement, but this will change your balance and body awareness. Breathe into your core muscles in your belly, and center your energy there.

3. Then, just shift your weight subtly back and forth between your feet, watching what happens to your core and hips as you do so.

4. Try it while imagining your knees as being very soft and warm -- many of us "lock" our knees instinctively when we think we're going to lose our balance, but this doesn't help!

5. Try it while bending your knees, and note the difference in your balance and the quality of the movement.

6. Then try it while imagining your hip joints as big, open, soft, half filled balloons, with warm air in them...

7. Then, try it by leading with your hips, stretching them as far out to each side as they can go. How does this feel different? How is your center of balance moving when you do this? And you can stretch your hips as far forward and as far back as they'll go, too, while keeping your feet planted on the floor. (And then you can do big hip circles front-side-back-side. Nice balance/warmup stretch for the hips.)

Building Balance

1. Then, pushing your weight farther off each foot so you're going from weight on one foot, to two, to the other -- back and forth. Where is the center of your balance in each spot? Again, how is this different when you plié (bend your knees) as you go through the center?

2. You can build on this by starting with just leaving a toe pointed on the ground and then adding height to the leg that's not holding your weight. Holding your arms out to the sides can help your balance as you increase height -- try this, as see how it opens up your core.

3. You can also try this exercise turned out from the hip, so your toes point outwards to the sides. But always rotate your leg from the hip, not from the ankle or the knee. (This will put you in second position in dancer parlance.)

4. As you move your balance from both feet to one feet, taking a moment to really feel the foot you're standing on becoming heavy and connected on the ground.

Into the Exercise

1. Start small with the figure eight, controlled but fluid, thinking about that balloon (I see it as a balloon that's a week or so old -- not tensely filled, but soft) in your hip socket.

2. As you swing your knee across and in front of you, bend your standing knee. Bent knees are more stable than straight ones! You can keep your standing knee bent throughout the full figure eight or straighten it each time your leg comes out to the side -- experiment with this!

3. Don't be shy about using the chair as something to hold on to, or a fence rail -- this exercise will be most helpful if you keep soft and relaxed like Sue does in the video -- if you're tense, it won't open up your hips and pelvis.

Three other stray thoughts:

1. If your hip joints are tight, it can help to stretch them first, especially stretching your hip flexor muscles, like the psoas, to open and unlock them. (I'm discovering that these are tighter on me than they've ever been before -- a function of becoming an old fart and sitting too many hours in front of a computer, I fear!)

2. Breathing! Think about this as you're trying each of these exercises -- very often we forget to breathe when we're focusing on doing something with our bodies. (Errrm...like riding...) :-)

3. As a former dancer, one of the most challenging things for me in terms of balance when riding was to shift my reaction to losing my balance. In dance, we're trained to pull our balance up, so our feet can move underneath us easily -- this is actually a form of collection, really. Well, when I first came back to riding, I'd do that with such enthusiasm that I'd bounce right off the horse! :-)

So, what I've been learning as my seat has been returning, is to sink down into the horse rather than pull up. What's helped me with this is imagining becoming melded with my horse's center of balance, melting into it, so he can collect for both of us. When he begins to collect, I work to amplify that and respond to it, but always with a sense of it coming from his lift, not mine. Even when I'm trying to help him lift his back with my eight and energy as an aid, I'm always thinking about it as emerging from him, if that makes sense.

Hope this is helpful, I babble on as usual!

Thanks, Sue!

:-)

Best,
Leigh

Ooh, ooh, one last thought -- I bought a yoga ball for Circe and Stardust to play with and had fun with it before I brought it over to the ranch. I'm gonna get me one of these puppies -- just sitting on it while watching TV or chatting and working to find your balance on it is FABULOUS! It will work your core muscles, your hip flexors, quads and hamstrings lots and lots! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:48 pm 

Hey Sue! Great video! We do that exercise in Water Aerobics, and it's of course much easier to balance under water <G>. Will try it on land too...holding onto something I,m sure! You are VERY good at it!!!

And Leigh, the warm up you describe is I 'think' what I learned in Centered Riding, only we practice on a small trampoline. You keep all your joints loose and work them forwards and back, up and down, etc. Try to simulate riding, shifting weight from one foot to the other, alternate lifting your heel slightly, dropping the knee forward, keeping the hips loose, moving rhythmically as you would while trotting on the horse. Great for kids as they think they are just playing!

Anyway, thanks to both of you for these ideas!

Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:15 pm 

Hey Brenda:

There are definitely a million variations on this theme, all of which can help. I spent years in early dance training working on this stuff in all sorts of contexts/ways.

It all helps to get us more comfortably into our bodies!

Love the idea of the small trampoline -- translating this sense of relaxed balance into the thing you're balancing on being in movement -- like a horse!

Very cool. I like Sally Swift's work a lot.

Oh-- also, for those of you who might get/have access to Dressage Magazine, there's a great article on some simple Feldenkreis balancing exercises in there this month!

(It actually is the best issue I've seen maybe ever from them -- an article from Walter Zettl based on his latest book, an article on learning to listen to your horse, etc...this opening energy that we celebrate here at AND does seem to be spreading!)

Best,
Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:05 pm 

:lol: I tried it, and fell on my butt! :lol: So my balance obviously needs work! :lol: :lol:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:42 pm 

I'm thinking my butt will meet the earth too...but I want to try it anyway...in secret where no one will see me..... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:47 pm 

Ok, I didn't fall down, but dan, that's hard work! I did have to grab a chair once. I have to do it slowly until my body figures out the flow of the movement.

My legs are burning! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:43 am 

Leigh, that's brilliant thanks! I was trying to show the first warm up steps that you mention at the beginning of the vid, but not sure how well it came through.. And I meant to write a bit more of an explanation but didn't have time. And now I'm so glad I didn't as yours is much more thorough and clear than mine would have been! :D Oh I wish I lived next door to you so I could come and be trained by you.. I'd love to learn dance exercises "proper". :lol:

A couple of "pre-exercise" exercises that I find useful for balancing for this one...

"Walking with both feet on the ground".
With arms and shoulders and hips rolling as if you're walking, use toe, ankle, knee and hip flex to simulate walking forwards, then backwards, without actually letting your feet lose contact with the ground. (Remember Michael Jackson's Moonwalk? :lol: But on the spot )
This helps to get you into the rolling figure eight motion without the balance issues.

"Pelvic Rock around the Clock"
Tilt your pelvis forward then backward a few times in rocking motion, with knees slightly bent. Then side to side, then round in circles in each direction. When everything is loose and working, rock your pelvis around in a clockwise direction, by tilting, (following the hour hand of a clock) forward/backward, then 1.30/7.30, then 3.00/9.00, then 4.30/10.30, then backwards (6.00)/forwards (12.00), 7.30/1.30.. and keep going round in the circle, building up speed as you begin to make sense of it, until you are moving in a rythmic rocking motion.
Repeat in an anticlockwise direction.

(This and the first (video) exercise are also good for your brain! They help to balance up left and right sides.. now that has to be good for us doesn't it! Another good brain balancer is shoulder rotations.. start one shoulder rotating forwards, and then the other rotating backwards.)

When I've taught people to do this (vid) exercise, I usually find that they want to fall on their faces.. :lol: Just like you guys.. But all learn to do it very quickly.. if they can let go of the FEAR of falling and MOVE.. So, most of the loss of balance occurs when they try to KEEP their balance by holding their pelvis/upper body connection tight. When I encourage them to let go, breathe, and let their upper bodies move about in whatever way they want, move their arms, wave their hands about,they quickly begin to get their balance. Of course, it's not cheating to put your foot down sometimes. :wink:
So.. this is the reason I think this exercise is wonderful for rider training.. it's not just the physical aspect of it.. it's the mental aspect of letting go and moving and trusting that you can flow and balance.

Just keep your head up , bum down, SMILE and BREATHE, and BELIEVE>

I have a routine of these "body balancing" exercises that I do... sometimes.. :oops: Takes about twenty minutes to go through and my whole body and mind feels wonderful afterwards when I do them. Always have the best rides too. One day I'll try to edit out a little vid and post the whole thing.

Would love to see other peoples favourite exercises.. I collect them!
Leigh....

Karen, you are obviously a very well balanced being! :D

Cheers,
sue