The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 am 
Site Admin

April wrote:
I was riding and asking for a leg yeild. We were floating until I started thinking

Oh, so familiar! :roll: 8)

Just yesterday I was trying out our new cordeo and leadrope while lungeing Sjors in trot, and he was giving his softest curve and smoothest rythm ever. I was stunned and immediately tried to recreate it,thinking what which arm should do when and how and how many of my feet would go in which direction - with the only result that Sjors was gazing at me with a very puzzled look, and then started to eat grass. 8)

Quote:
When we can just let go and allow "feel" to govern instead of ideas, the relationship will become much closer and become "one."

Beautiful said and very true. Thank you! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 am 

thank you all for helping me. I'll try to keep myself collected :wink: and just do what Beau wants to do. I am looking forward to what will happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Well, you can still guide Beau, but like April already pointed at, you can do that without at the same time putting unconsciously demanding it.

So if Beau now is cordeo-shy, then the cordeo is a great exercise in itself! :D

At one point in his life he was taught that he could carry a saddle, carry a human, step over a jump, walk through water, wear a blanket - and still stay alive and reasonable, 8) so now it might be time to ask something more advanced: wear a cordeo and stay alive and reasonable.

As long as you see 'wearing the cordeo' just as another fun exercise, a great trick you two can do together, I think he will get used to and love wearing the cordeo very soon. And then you can sometimes touch it in order to ask something - but only when he first has learned that the cordeo isn't a horse-eating contraption that is developed in order to kill all the fun in a trainnig. Just play with it and make it fun so that he really starts enjoy seeing the cordeo. Chase the Cordeo, Retrieve the Cordeo, stand pretty when the cordeo is around your neck, get foodrewards when you carry the cordeo in halt, all those very, very challenging exercises and a lot more. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:55 am 

I love your ideas, but chasing the tiger mostly becomes destroying the tiger, so I don't know if I want him to associate the cordeo with destroying :)