The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Canter backwards
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:41 pm 

There was a film, which I can't remember... but in that film a horse performed very collected terre a terre, in front of a palace or something... it cantered like this for a very long time, and then stopped and cantered the same way backwards. I think that it was Mario Lurashi or Bartabas, who performed this... but I'm not sure, cause I don't even remember the title. Do you have any other information about canter backwards? I found only this article, from which I took the animation:

http://www.horseguardfence.com/topic/topic_canter.htm

not that I want to teach it :lol: but I would like to know who performed this in that film, who trains and who "invented"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:19 am 

Ok, so it was Bartabas:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hFXlcEosv6Y

and I'm not sure about the film. Chimere, Eclipse or Mazeppa ;) have you seen it?
Haute Ecole is so closely related to circus and that stuff... not always clear what is really beneficial for the horse. Canter backwards looks like cruelty, something like pirouette on 3 legs. But it can be easy for some horses. My horse actually wanted to do it :shock: I had to replace it with another exercise, because she would be already mastering it, probably with bad effect to her hindquarters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:12 am 

What I could never figure out is why they call it a canter backwards? Hello- canter has a diagonal! Guess it feels like canter with the little jumps.

I think Baucher came up with it, but I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:57 pm 

I agree with you Dannee. The name is not correct. I don't see it a canter, it is something else to me.
It is impressive what he i doing, but I think it is like going backwards (very energetic) and every time let the horse stand up or somthing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:18 pm 

It IS form of canter

Quote:
Terre à Terre:

This exercise is a half air. This is a form of canter or it can be levades in series.

The horse moves with the hindlegs parallel and the frontlegs parallel, in other words the horse jumps with both the hindlegs and the frontlegs together forward.
This is done with the horse straight in its body, but from terre à terre the horse can literally do anything. It can leap forward, to the sides, turn 180 degrees around, leap up in the air and it can even move backwards. From the terre à terre the horse can perform any school on the ground or any air above the ground. Some horses offer this movement voluntarily and some have to be taught and it can take a long time for some horses to learn it.
In war or bull fighting this replaced the canter when it comes to close encounters, since the horse is extremely moveable in the terre à terre.
This of course demands extreme strength from the hindquarters, back and belly. It also demands perfect balance and coordination. This exercise also trains all of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:08 pm 

Silly me but I see Terre a terre as the horse jumping from his back legs to front legs to back legs, etc. Not to say it isn't a cool movment- just not a canter. I don't mean to put it in the category of a disociated western lope (which also isn't a canter!)

The closest thing that to me is a canter, even though it rides the line, is a pirouette canter. There the diagonal is disociated but the foot falls are still similar. It is just that the front foot takes so long to stike the ground since it is up so much higher. In terre a terre there is a lot of exuberant movment, but no canter sequence- but this is all our opinions. We are allowed to have diffenert veiws here. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:38 pm 

I didn't call it a canter movement...the classical site I quoted called it "a form of canter". Technically the second description is the accurate one. A series of levades.

Post subject: Re: Canter backwards
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:30 am 

[quote="Ania"]Image

There was a film, which I can't remember... but in that film a horse performed very collected terre a terre, http://www.horseguardfence.com/topic/topic_canter.htm

Bent Branderup Rides Terra Terra on a video of Classical Riding, Mr Oliveira also rode 'canter to the rear'

Post subject: Backwards canter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:08 pm 

I did not know where to place this but I was a bit amazed by seeing this movie :shock:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=bW0gLYhUR-0

And although he uses spurs and a bit and I see pressure I do not see tailswushing and I see a horse very focussed on the rider.

Amazing....did not know horses could canter backwards (heard Mario Lurashi did it in one of his video's but that was it.....)

And even with aids like spurs and a bit, I have seen more movies from him on youtube...this guy can ride :shock: and has some nice haute ecole excersises to show.

Like thise one :shock:
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo89hNPQXIk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:54 pm 

Frances, this was posted by me in the video section

http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/viewtopic.php?t=691

I LOVE that tempi jambette video!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 pm 

Stupid I missed it :oops:

But this guy is good :shock: wish I can ride like that one fine day but then without the tack and spurs :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Here is another video of backwards canter: Bartabas

I like it a lot, if I ignore all the tack and pressure, but the exercise itself is totally stunning. If Titum and me reach that (at liberty) one day, we can retire with our training. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 pm 

I also have some video of canter backwards from Alvaro Domeq the spanish rider. I have been trying to get this video shrunk down so that I can post it. It is with a friend now who has the ability to do this, I just need to wait on him to get it done.

Leah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:10 pm 

That Bartabas video is wonderful!! I love that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm 

I've got some video's of Bartabas (Zingaro), and they're realy amazing. This backwarts canter is something I remembered most of them.

I began practizing it with Sjors. But I do take really small staps, and don't spend to mucht time about this. So maybe once.... he can do it :)