The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Again new news on the front page 8) and I finally had time to put pictures in the gallery!
Next will be a galary with clinics, training and pupils ... I have over 5,000 pics to choose from!!! :ieks:

Also Equihof is now on twitter... for who is also on there? :applause:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

Because of the many questions about it, I have written an article on food rewards. I'd love to hear your thoughts and questions :)

Find it here: www.josepha.info

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Here is the next article covering all those many questions on 'collection', 'on the forehand', why many do not succeed with 'shoulder in', the age to start a young horse and how to start over with an adult horse that needs to be rehabilitated.

www.josepha.info

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:47 pm 

Very nice article Josepha! :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Karen :)
Did you see the one on food rewards as well?

xxx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:21 pm 

I was very short of time...I bookmarked it. I will be reading it today! :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:52 pm 

It is lovely Josepha!! The article on food rewards, I mean. I read it day before yesterday but just didn't remember to write yesterday.
I am going to put a few comments in the proper topic! :kiss:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:02 pm 

As the weather gets gradually colder here, I'm finding a wee bit more time to spend in the forum. It's like a dear friend I haven't seen in some time...so much catching up to do!

I really love this article Josepha. As I've come to expect with your writing, it's clear, packed with what SHOULD be common sense (which some people seem to lack!) and it's absolutely truthful. Like you, I never tell people they must use food, but the argument can clearly be made how it can be used effectively and why it works so well. I love that you've gone in to detail on why it works. :yes:

Love it! :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Karen 8) I love that you love it :green: :cheers: :kiss:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Karen :kiss: hope it helps many people who want to but let them be told off by others...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:00 pm 

Finally I found some time to read your article ;). It was nice to read your thoughts, especially as I was recently confronted with discussing food rewards with new boarders. It´s so interesting how deep the roots go when talking to people about that. There´s so much fear and prejudice about treats. Even with people who try to be as positive with horses as possible. But food rewards are still a no-go :ieks:.

Another interesting phenonemon regarding food and alpha horse is that it´s the duty of every alpha male to spend time with every herd member in turn - and graze close beside them. Means sharing food is not only a very social gesture, but is also expected from a "dominant" animal. Just watch a herd and see who´s constantly changing grazing partners. That´s the "dominant" one.
Strange if you think about it in human terms... But not so strange if you think about it in horse terms. Rank is not a construct to favour the strong - it´s to protect the collective! Lot of humans tend to forget that with power comes responsibility.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Volker, what a valuable reply! :)
By all means, please bring my article to their attention :) that is what it is meant for!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:53 pm 

Very nice! :applause:

I like the idea of introducing a term for reversed collection.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:12 pm 

Most people are concerned about mugging for treats, and that's a very real issue with some horses. Trainers need a concrete method of teaching "how to accept a treat."

I use two ways. (Actually three but number three is for skilled behavioral trainers).

I present the back of the hand with the treat in it and do not give the treat until the horse stops touching my hand for the treat. Then turn my hand over and feed.

The other way is to shape toward moving the nose away then give the treat.

The third way, and mostly for folks how have experience and skill is for starting green horses. If the newby starts to 'mug,' I start delivering treats very aggressively, almost forcing them in the horses' mouth. My reasoning is that so often horses have been offered treats and when they reach eagerly for them have them pulled away by the timid human offering them. Sometimes they will even drop them, which is NOT what you want to reinforce the horse for. LOL

As for folks being resistant there are some ways to approach this, including giving them information from Josepha.

With some folks (you'll know who, LOL) the "take it away from them," works best - "Yes, most people don't understand nor can they use behavior marking and reward methods." Or, "Yes, it takes a lot of skill beyond most people to use this method successfully." Smile sweetly and go back to having your horse do wonderful things for the doubter to see.

I love positive rewards, including skritches (Bonnie's favorite is to have the inside of her ears scratched). But food has proven to be the most primary and powerful +R.

If you ride, by the way, a very neat trick that really gets the doubters in their most tender spot is to teach your horse to come to the mounting block and position himself for you to mount. A little hip targeting combines with "come touch," is all it takes. And of course marking and rewarding for standing still.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next