The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Carrying Versus Pulling
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:38 pm 

There have been plenty of studies and inquiries into the effect of a rider on the horses back, but I haven't seen anything that looks into the effects of driving. I was thinking about this the other day and my thought was that, biomechanically speaking, driving would be better for a horse than riding since the horse is free to travel on its forehand without the added weight of a rider on a delicate part of its body. Granted, I don't know enough about equine anatomy to really pass a good judgement on what effects a harness could have on the horse's body. Has anyone come across any information on this? I've gotten really curious about this lately!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:59 pm 

That is a very interesting question indeed. I imagine it´s not been researched as much as in riding. My first thought that came into mind was Centered Driving. It´s the application of Sally Swift´s Centered Riding for driving. Naturally it revolves mainly around the human posture and balance, but maybe some sources for the horse´s balance can be found there...

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:07 am 

Simon (SaddleChariot) would be a perfect person to ask. I don't know if he's here often lately, but if you post he may answer. Driving is all he does I think! He knows TONS.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32&p=56286&hilit=obama#p56286