The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Relational Riding
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:12 am 

Michelle falls somewhere between traditional riding and the gentler techniques embraced here. I am cross posting this from another post. She has a lot to offer, especially for helping move traditionalists down the continuum.

Interesting. For a couple of years now I have been taking lessons with Michelle Binder of Relational Riding Academy in Washington State.
http://www.relationalridingacademy.com/

She comes to Portland almost once a month to teach. I really like her methods. She teaches foundation work built on dressage principles. With Bella, we have concentrated on developing lightness in my seat especially as muscle has been an issue with her. I suspect I am a little forward even for her, but each ting according to horse and rider.

This is a year and half ago, but I think it shows our dressage focus without drilling for oil with the seatbones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD727B16Poc

It is just us in trot during a lesson, but I am at a place where I can sit further back with my upper body and keep the seat light and weight distributed. Her video is great - lots about foundation work, muscle identification and independence, etc. Quite uncommon (an no, I am not in it - I am not... a *favorite* I guess you could say ;) )
http://www.relationalridingacademy.com/Video1/Trailer1.wmv

..... cut for non method content..........

So I guess I am riding what many might scoff at as a hybrid seat, but I am loving learning from M, seeing how it works for the horses (according to my only mediocre abilities). We'll see what she thinks of the bitless next time I actually manage to get a lesson in... I feel wimpy and scared ;)

I suppose I should post her in the methods/info section...

And here's her "Every Horse Is Worth It" stories:
http://www.relationalridingacademy.com/Video1/EveryHorseIsWorthIt.wmv

Post subject: Re: Relational Riding
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:15 am 

And you have to give at least some credit to a woman who sells and wears her No Rollkur t-shirts:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:50 pm 

Quote:
This is a year and half ago, but I think it shows our dressage focus without drilling for oil with the seatbones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD727B16Poc

GOOD SONG CHOICE!!! :applause: :applause:

I used the same song on the video of Tamarack's very first ride. :cheers: LOVE that song!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:01 pm 

Quote:
So I guess I am riding what many might scoff at as a hybrid seat, but I am loving learning from M, seeing how it works for the horses (according to my only mediocre abilities). We'll see what she thinks of the bitless next time I actually manage to get a lesson in... I feel wimpy and scared ;)

I know the feeling...but ask her to work with you on it as being a goal of YOURS. Let her know that you your desire is different than someone who wants to compete.

Waaaaaaay back (I think it was all of two years...no, maybe it's three now? I can't remember any more) in the first clinic I took with Paul Dufresne, I was at the very start of riding Cisco again (Cisco tossed me at one point and my confidence was shaken very badly). I was riding him with a sidepull at the time. A friend had helped me find the courage to get back on him, and he told me that he felt Cisco was feeling claustrophobic in the bit. Looking back, he was probably just finding the nicest possible way to tell me I had heavy hands and I was too harsh on Cisco's mouth. Anyway...when the first clinic with Paul came, I asked him if I should use a bit, and he said yes, so I did.

By the next clinic, I was bitless (and remained that way). I didn't tell Paul I disagreed with the bit...I simply told him that I wanted to do it this way, and if that meant that I would never achieve what he thought we might achieve WITH a bit, then so be it. Or if it just meant it would take longer, then so be it. He was fine with it. His mantra now, is that if something is working well for a participant, there is no reason for a little frenchman (his words! not mine!) to tell them any differently!

I have since gone on to do a clinic with Cisco where I did all the ground work in a Cordeo, and the very last clinic I took with Tamarack, most of our riding was also done in the cordeo and Paul found ways to challenge me to go beyond what we were doing to that point, and even encouraged me to stick with the cordeo in the times I felt frustrated and wanted to put on the cavesson. There was part of the clinic that I did use the cavesson.

So talk to her. Let her know you want to explore this. If she's the person you think she is, she won't mind at all.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:47 pm 

What great advice, Karen. I've also made the experience that some teachers are willing to move away from what they know best and help the student explore something a little different as long as it works for the horse. Maybe Michelle Binder would be happy to let Annaliese explore how far she can go with the bitless bridle.
Annaliese, I bought the video of riding bridleless dressage by Lynn Palm at a clinic with her I watched in Lewiston two years ago. While she is much too competitive for me she did an excellent job in working with people where they were at and making it clear that she had the highest standards for riders to be soft in their riding before she let them ask advanced work of their horses. People who had done upper level dressage before were practicing basic transitions until she felt they were in harmony with their horses. Some people did not like the clinic because she made the riders work hard, not the horses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:53 pm 

Quote:
I wanted to do it this way, and if that meant that I would never achieve what he thought we might achieve WITH a bit, then so be it.

That pretty much sums it up. And, she really should not mind. I am just used to the world jumping all over me, and stupidly sensitive flower I am, that really hurts.

She also rides bridleless beautifully, but I guess maybe she thinks of that as a different discipline. Or maybe just that it is not for everyone. I told her about the one time I took Belle's bridle off and we just galloped round and round until Belle decided to stop. "Yeah, you need to know how to stop first." That was pretty much her reaction. (Note - I was surprised at Belle's choices that day - while not "too fast" or bolty, she mostly just listens and was seeming sooo responsive to seat.... ;) )

Thanks for the nice note. I went to sleep last night watching myself wonder about being jumped all over for the bits invovled in these images. Nice to think I might be more comfortable talking about riding soon (have always been shy as I never want to seem boastful nor to be attacked). And Cat Stevens - yummy :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:54 pm 

Oh, and Karen, I love the stuff of Paul's you sent me to. He seems great!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 pm 

Hey B - I had not seen your note before - internet hiccup? I do think M will be good - it is just me. She is very much about the horse and balance and basics and all that.

As for the clinic - there will always be that group who just wants to charge along and finds that successful and satisfying and nothing else. Michelle actually told a great story about being in a Zettl clinic with some well regarded rider who is more on the monster side of the spectrum. She laughed herself silly watching him make her walk for 2 days, until she got over it. Eventually, she got to trot. Basics 1st!!! :applause:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:02 pm 

Quote:
I've also made the experience that some teachers are willing to move away from what they know best and help the student explore something a little different as long as it works for the horse.

I love instructors like this Birgit! Paul likes when people find creative ways to solve their own issues, or simply have fun taking the road less travelled. He will only step in if someone is doing something that is stressing the horse, or if they are misreading the horse and actually heading for a potentially dangerous situation.

He really doesn't like horses to mug people. I allow Tam a certain amount of it, and Paul will say nothing...because he knows that I know the potential issues and I do draw a rather squiggly, nebulous line of some kind. Basically, Tam doesn't bite. That's my line. But he seeks out my treat pouch and if it's open, he's got very agile lips and can suck a treat out of there before I realize he's even in it. So that's not good...exactly. Cute, but not really what one wants.

Anyway, Paul is wonderful and adaptable and he is the first to say he's also a student first and that he learns new things from everyone at clinics.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:48 am 

Karen, I think those people are so hard to find sometimes. Trainers/riding instructors who are really good have to work to not let the success get to their head, I think it's a temptation for everyone who is successful in their field at some point. I love the idea of servant leadership, I think it was discussed elsewhere, with horses and people alike.
Annaliese, I love that story about the rider who got to walk for 2 days straight, that fits exactly with what I've heard about Walter Zettl. I'd love to watch him teach in person. He must have seen the worst in his long career and just decided he will not tolerate it. :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:08 am 

I am a Walter Zettl fan too. I have his videos/dvds. Love them!

The videos say you cannot learn to ride dressage only from watching those tapes/dvds...but you know, you can get LOADS of information and they are a nice substitute if you can't get an instructor. They taught me a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:55 am 

I do not know Mr Zettl's work personally except that he is pretty universally regarded. Should be if he can get through to that sort! I'll have to get him on the list of to read/view/meet ;)

Funny - Michelle just sent a schedule for this weekend. I just bit the bullet and told her I wanted to work on the bitless and suggested that since we are both out of shape for lack of work that that would be a great thing on which to ficus. Eep. Will report in soon. :pray:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:17 am 

Fingers crossed and all the positive energy I can send it coming your way!

:kiss:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:27 am 

Anneliese, hope it will go really well. Maybe she'd be willing to take some pictures hint,hint... one of my instructors did this, she picked the best and the worst she saw during the lesson for comparison, it helped so much, she explain to me afterwards what had happened.
I think for visual learners videos or pictures (of oneself and of others) work well, esp. with a forum like this one where we can get feedback.