The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:59 pm 

http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/ ... p?t=150479

I found this thread (especially toward the end) very eye opening in relation to poll flexion. My experience had been showing me that relaxed poll flexion should come from the whole body - not just the bit and rider's hand (known here I think?)

Dissection
photos included (to warn you)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

The flipping over of the nuchal ligament is visible when you have a straight and flexible horse, and ask him to flex his head/neck from the left to the right. Halfway, the top of his neck will flip over (you'll see a twitch in his mane when it flips). If the horse isn't straight or loose, then the stiffness will prevent the ligament to flip over and will stay on the same side, no matter where the horse bends his head to.

I don't think it can only be done with reins and that reins are essential in the process. What's essential is that the horse is collected with a relaxed poll during the ramener and is able to turn his head to the left and the right without loosing that ramener by hollowing his neck. If the horse isn't able to switch sides without hollowing the neck, then he won't be able to flip when held with reins either. So I do agree with you that it's not just a rein-thing, but more a whole-body thing. If the body isn't supple and even, the horses muscles won't be flexible enough to cause the flip!

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:25 pm 

Miriam,

I read the posts again and am fascinated by the fact that the nuchal ligament is actually two cords ... and does connect to the supra -- heck -- can't recall the name -- but it goes from nuchal lig to the sacrum connecting nose to tail ultimately. Backs up the old advice that you ride the 'head' from the hind heels.

I guess I'm not asking a question - more passing on the studies. Dissection class with Deb Bennett. It seems that science has more to teach riders :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:12 am 

Yes, it is not the ligament, but just eh fatty tissue that 'flips.' I was glad to see some riders on the UDBB say they wouldn't pay too much attension to the flip as it is not the end all signal of correct bend. I try not to pay any attension at all tot he neck when I bend. I focus as much attension as I can on the ribs and shoulder/hip alignment. If those are right the neck will be too.