Geraldine
Oregon
USA

Post subject: Re: bitless driving
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:44 pm 

simply as posible and it works i think

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:04 pm 

Looks a bit harsh, don't you think? Specially the stiff part on the nose...
I think that driving without a bit is possible even with more gentle aids.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:18 pm 

If you look in any detail then you can say also that the noseband is not on the correct hight.
But i dont think that that was the basic thought of the person who put this picture in here. ;)
And yes there are maybe better ways to drive bitless. I am driving bitless too, so i know it very well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:08 am 

hello,

this is the firs time I write in this interesting forum.

it looks like what we call in spain a "serreta" its inside like a saw in both borders, notice the mark it has made on his nose.

In Spain traditional horseman use it in the beginning, together with a sanfle or even a bite, so no to spoil the horse mouth if the horse doesn't follow the aids, thas when it comes into action. Its quite harsh, only very expert people that knows to release the second the horses reacts positively, and that have employed the time it takes to schooll the horse it wouldn't be harmfull, but in that case is because prior praparation makes it almost innecesary.

Before knowing better I had one but that had cotton and a tissue all around to take away the saw effect.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 pm 

I'm learning carriage driving at the moment... I have a dream that one day, I will be able to achieve bridle-less driving with Skylark. Of course, she's merely filly at the moment, and i'm merely learning 'traditional driving', but dreams are important things.

Does anyone here have experience of bridleless driving?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:26 pm 

sunlily, sorry very late answer i do not come here often anymore due to lack of time.
But i drive for many years now with bitless bridles. We go every were, through the village or in the woods without any problem. The main thing is that you make a good communication with your horse.
An agreement were you both happy with and trust eachother.

For me there is no difference with a bit or bitless in the way of controling the horse / pony.
But i know that there are lots of people who driving, think it is not save enough. But that is a decission what you have to make for your own. I know also that some people were not confinced about the savety of bitless driving but after some test riding they have changed their opinion and are not negative anymore.

If you do some research on the net you will find several pics and storys from all over the world of peole who drive bitless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:28 am 

Thanks every so much Inge. I am certain that if driving proves to be the right thing for Skylark eventually and if she enjoys it, then of course it will definitely be without a bit in her mouth! To be precise though, I was wondering if bridleless driving could be possible, not just bitless... Or is that a bit too ambitious? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

SunLily wrote:
To be precise though, I was wondering if bridleless driving could be possible, not just bitless... Or is that a bit too ambitious? 8)

We have done a miniature version of it with a little sleigh (in the video I am leading, but we also did it with me sitting on the sleigh). I would not dare to drive bridleless with a real sulky or something that is fixed to the horse, though. However, I guess that's not due to bridleless per se but rather to the fact that in our training the balance between discipline and spontaneity is shifted a bit towards the latter, and I am afraid that while this is totally okay when I am walking or riding, it could become a problem for driving - or perhaps not more of a problem, but it might be more risky if something went not quite as planned.

Post subject: Re: Bitless driving
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:23 pm 

Thanks Romy, what a brilliant video! I really love Summy's presence, he looks like a very optimistic and enjoyable character to be around.
That's pretty much the sort of thing that I was hoping to find :D. There seems to be a really rapidly growing rise in awareness in the horse world, and with it people constantly finding more and more interesting, artistic, spiritual and outlandish ways of being with horses, and I'm very happy to be a part of that.
What makes me interested in driving in particular is that last year a very traditional lady began teaching me carriage driving. I still play with her ponies, but the driving seems to have slowed down. Anyway, she would be horrified if she learnt that I have only ever intended to drive using a well-chosen bitless bridle - she has the outdated belief that to do anything bitless is dangerous. She'd be even more aghast if she saw me questioning about bridleless driving! Haha. But on a serious note, I can see the potential extreme danger if a horse were to bolt with a carriage attached to it but wearing no bridle or halter. The damage to people and horses could be unthinkable in that event...
But it's nice to see that people have played with this in a controlled environment. :smile: Bill and I dream of one day having a smallholding, and I believe that Skylark shows the makings of a fabulous farm-helper, perhaps lending herself to some timber extraction as well. It will be lovely to do this in as many well considered and expressive ways as possible, wherever safety allows it. It's just good to see that somebody else has done something similar. When the girls are old enough, and if we have a proper winter, I shall have to find myself a sleigh ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:04 pm 

Here's a lovely bridleless driving picture i've just found :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:34 pm 

i think that pic is more due to lack of money ;-)

I agree with Romy bridleless driving is not really safe for horse and human in our world.
in a save environment it could be possible, but i wont take the risk.
Not the idea that the pony will go fast, but more the play games he might think of.... :D