The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:05 am 

Hi everybody :smile:
I want to buy a new saddle to my Esprit: whether English tree dressage saddle or treeless (dressage) saddle.

Please tell me, what kind of saddles do you have?

What kind of saddles do you recommend?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Last edited by HelenMai on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Hi Helen,

we have some similar threads already, so perhaps you will find some answers in there:

Saddle Shopping help
What saddle? and Which saddle?
Treeless saddle review website

And some discussions of specific saddles:

Ghost (treeless) saddles anyone?
Fitting the Ghost (treeless) saddle
Heather Moffett saddles
New Ansur Excel treeless saddle
Barefoot saddles
Testing a Barefoot Cheyenne
Testing a Barefoot London
Experience with Startrekk saddles?
Spanish saddles and Malibaud

Post subject: treeless saddles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:39 pm 

I currently have a thorowgood cob saddle i have had it fitted twice because mrc had grown and today i just measure him and guess what ... he has suddenly grown withers :roll: so i am fed up with this treed saddle fitting malarky and as i am not riding with a saddle really , only occasionly bareback but i may start riding again when we are ready so i am looking into treeless saddles I have read though your various threads on treeless saddles ....then spent hours drooling over the heather moffet vogue saddle :hap: but sadly i have a rather poor buget of 200 maybe 250-300 pounds ( the money i would get from reselling my treed saddle )
what saddles would you suggest ? sorry if there is something in the pervious threads that i missed :blush:

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Ali, I have merged your post to a thread where you can find a collection of all useful threads we have about (treeless) saddles. Lena and I have the Barefoot Cherokee (it used to be mine but I gave it to her because she needs it more), and I absolutely love it. Titum is moving so much better with it than with any treed saddle I had tried before, which always seemed to restrict his movement somehow. With Summy and Pan I don't have the comparison, because I never used a treed saddle when riding with them. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:48 pm 

Since I got my first treeless Barefoot saddle I would never try anything else. I'm so happy with it because my horses movement does not get restricted. There are different sized pommel inserts available (including a soft one) and and different inlays for the saddle pad. To make it higher for the spine you can add more inlays also according to the riders weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:26 pm 

I've just bought this 'copperbeech' treeless saddle for Spirit to try out

She seems pretty okay with it, considering she's not used to having a saddle on, and it's more going to be a plaything than anything else over the next few months :funny:
It looks very comfortable for her and fits nicely, but I cannot tell you what it feels like to ride in because I won't be riding her for a long time yet. I think i'd recommend it though!

:f:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm 

I have check out copperbeaches wedsite and i like the look of them . I have a quick question - what pad do you use with it ?

cheer :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:30 pm 

The nytack close contact half wool pad is the one that came with the package I have just trialed, so I think i'll keep that. It is real sheep wool so there are instructions on the care of it. The saddle is also leather and wool, so again requires a bit of extra care, but I'm chuffed with it. My trimmer saw it today and said how similar she thinks it is to the Heather Moffet saddles, which I was quite pleased about because I have heard such good things about them!

This is a link to the pad: http://copperbeechsaddles.mygostore.co.uk/saddle-pads-cloths/nytack-close-contact-half-wool-shaped-saddle-pad-childs.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 pm 

Thank you :giveflower:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:22 pm 

Charlie now seems very keen to start to ride :bounce: The one thing he wants to do is go for a hack . I need a saddle for that . I am looking at the new copperbeach canter saddles - http://www.copperbeechsaddles.com/saddl ... cts_id=201 - the sales lady suggests I use it with I suber pad ......Do they look ok ? It is my first time buying a treeless saddle :blush: so some suggestions and sdvice would be appreciated :)
Many thanks :f:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:34 pm 

I have just picked up my second hand barefoot saddle !! I am so pleased with it :yeah:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:21 pm 

I'm interested to hear what you think of the barefoot saddle Ali :smile: . I have a copperbeech saddle, but neither of the girls have worn it much yet so i'm not sure what it's like really. I think I will probably end up riding them bareback more anyway when I do ride :funny:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:10 am 

I have a couple of different saddles, one western simco saddle. One Zaldi Country saddle, I've had it for abouth 10 jears now! And I'm still soooo pleased with it! It's just one of the most comfortable saddles I've ever tryed. Also it fits on most horses beingh very flexible.

http://www.google.be/search?q=zaldi+cou ... B570%3B444

And than I have two Malibaud Radonee saddles. They are very different from the zaldi but equaly confortable in my opinion even do they are harder. The difficoulty with these saddles is that they have to realy propperly fit on your horse! But once you fond the right one for your horse you can feel the difference! How the horse feels absolutely comfortable and uses his back well. I relay recommend these saddles they are all hand made in France by a 'saddle make master' or how you call them in English..

http://www.google.be/search?q=zaldi+cou ... 536%3B2048

I have some other saddles here ass well but I'm not crazy about those ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Admin

For who is interested, I wrote an article on this subject:

http://www.equusuniversalis.com/world/i ... rsus-treed

:)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:35 am 

We always had problems when using saddles, whether they were treeless or not.
Now we only use 2 thick western pads, and this is the best solution for us :applause: