The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Specialized Saddle Pads.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:35 am 

Well this is my first writing since like at least a year! Anyway that doesn't matter.
Here are some saddle pads I thought might be of interest

Suber Pad www.davidahnequine.co.uk I think this is the right spelling?
The Corrector www.thecorrector.net
I also found another pad called the Korrector but incorporates acombo or air and foam.
Just look up the name and you should fing the websites!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:27 am 

I heard lots of good stuff about the correcTOR pad, though I also heard you should check how well it fits your horse and the one I know that uses it cut the pad out a little further along the spine otherwise it pressed down on one point of the spine. But since she did that, it's all perfectly fine and the horse has better moves now with the pad!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:41 am 

Looks interesting but I found his claim that a correctly made Western saddle can put the rider in more contact with the horse than an English saddle a bit confusing -- I could see how with a well-fitted, very light Western saddle you could be pretty even with a treed English saddle but more contact?

Not in my experience...anyone else?

best,
Leigh

PS: But this from the other site, the designer of that pad is a "Fellow of the Worshipful Company of Farriers" just got me smiling...love those old British titles!
Anyone know if the Suber has been used with treeless saddles?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:57 pm 

delete

Last edited by Mustang on Thu May 27, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:00 pm 

Hi Leigh,
Just saw your other question. I think Heather Moffett reccomends the Suber Pads and she has treeless sadles. There has been a fair amount written about them on her forum.

Leah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:08 pm 

oh leah that doesn't sound good. Maybe it's the same as with saddles it fits one horse, but hurts the other? It's not a one frame fits all kind of thing?

Hmm, so I heard two very oppsite sides of the corrector pad. Must say, I don't use it myself but it's good to be warned that it can be bad as well... thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:18 pm 

i have a suberpad from Heather. It fits good on my pony no presurepoints.
i dont use it much. And why? it feel different then when i use my Haf pad. It feel for me like more above the horse than with the horse. Because the pad is much more thicker than the Haf pad, and thats the one i use the most.
But if i ride it more days then it is fine. Its just a personal feeling.

The corrector pad i dont know what to say about that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 am 

I've used a Corrector (Len Brown Corrector, very different from Korrector pad) for over 2 years now and I totally love it. The shorter (standard) variety works with my smaller 14 inch Western saddle and my 18 inch English saddle as well, the larger Western Corrector works for Western saddles over 14 1/2 inch seat size and over 21 inch bars. I get perfect sweat patterns and my horse is extremely comfortable. It is not designed for a treeless saddle, it will work for saddles that are a little too narrow or a little too wide, but it's important not to use too much padding or it can still pinch the shoulders. It is very different from treeless saddles which put most of the weight of the rider in the middle of the horse's back, directly under where the rider sits. The Corrector is made to distribute the weight of a treed saddle over 4 larger areas, two in front, near, but behind the shoulders, two further back, towards the end of the bars, but in front of the horse's loin. The idea is that the flexible panels move with the horse in a way a saddle tree, even very well fitted when a horse is standing, will not. I have found excellent spine clearance but haven't tried a Corrector with a very high-withered horse. The other thing that's important is that most horses need at least some of the shims that fit in the envelope pad that come with the Corrector. It is also necessary to cinch up fairly snugly so a wider cinch/girth is helpful.
I haven't seen the claim that the Corrector provides closer contact than a well-fitting English saddle, I would doubt that, too, it might be better than a Western saddle with the standard 1-1 1/2 inch pad that most people use, because it moves with the horse and is much thinner.
'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:02 pm 

I LLLLLUUUUUUUUUURVE my Haf pads.. have three of them now so three horses at a time get the benefit. I want to buy three more. But pig just ate one, so we've taken a step backwards. :sad: Husband often rides with just a Haf and curcingle round it to keep him clean and horse protected from his bony butt. Nice low profile but still plenty of protection. Sticks like glue. No bothersome seams. Dries super quick. Very well designed. (Now my pig has eaten one, I've had a chance to see what's inside. Very good design.)

Don't like the Equipedic.. Thick, heavy, so-so shape, and not as much absorbency as Haf.
Don't like the sheepskin and memory foam Toklat. WAAAY too thick.. perched up on top of the horse not feeling stable.. And treeless saddle tends to roll on top of it easily on round horse unless its girthed really tight. although I think therapeutically it's probably good for the horse.
REALLLY don't like the second hand superduper I forget what it's called leather and memory foam pad I got with my second hand Torsion. It slips like you wouldn't believe on my round horses.

DO want a Suber Pad very much. If it's good enough for the queen it's good enough for me. <g>
However, yes, from what I understand they do perch you on top of the horse a little. I want to use one "sometimes" for fitting not quite right saddles to not quite right horses and helping with building topline.. I do believe they genuinely work. Also want to use it occasionally when I want extra stability.. makes the saddle STAY PUT on round horses like my darling. So I'll put up with a little bit of perching.

Sue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:39 pm 

what i notice that when you make the super pad a bit moisty then it stay better in place on a rounded horse.
otherwise when you get on by ground then it could be possible that the whole stuff will move a bit.
unless you use a chair ofcourse ;-) What i normaly always do.
It become i think because the outside is made of cotton, the haf pad have a kind of honeyrad.

I do the same as your husband, use the hafpad for riding and keep my butt clean and protecting the horse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:32 am 

There are unfortunately a number of saddle pads being made and sold in both the USA and New Zealand as 'Suber' pads that are unauthorised copies and are inferior to the original .In one case David Ahn's name is mentioned to make it appear to be made by him. In most cases they are more expensive - buyer beware !