The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: What saddle??
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:23 pm 

Hey all!

I am in the process of trying to save for a new saddle for Bo. However...I am on a serious budget...which of course is making saddle hunting hard work.

Bo is your usual stocky native welsh type pony....fairly flat, wide but short back, with a nice expressive movement. This is where our problems seem to arise...she has quite a lot of shoulder action (due the being a welsh x hackney mix)and most saddles seem to restict this and rub her just above her shoulders.....even when they seem to fit perfectly everywhere else.

Have any of you guys got any recommendations about what sort of saddle I should be looking for....ideally I would like a treeless saddle (have been looking at the new synthetic barefoot cheyenne) and something quite lightweight and hardwearing.... but I just don't know where to start.

Help!!???!?!? :D :D :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:42 pm 

http://www.actionridertack.com/catalog/ ... 197bc4965a

I ride in a freeform saddle. I can mount from the ground and the saddle is very secure, I ride in the liberty and it have large knee blocks. I found with the barefoot saddles that I hated the hard cantle and my leg always went forward.

You can get some used free form saddles for $400-600 if you look around.

Try and demo as many as you can

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:01 am 

Thank you! :D

I'll have a hunt about and see if i can try any out. This saddle hunting is hard work...especially as I know next to nothing about saddles!! Argh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:03 am 
Site Admin

The saddles I prefere are here:

http://www.equihof.be/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_25_34

There must be try out saddles of those where you're at as well I think :) If you would be interested in trying one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:16 am 

thanks josepha....I do like the look of the tex mex II....I think I'd need 17 - 17.5" though as Bo is only little! lol

Certainly gives me something to think about....I'd have to do quite a bit of saving for one though, unless they do a cheaper synthetic version! lol (I'm on a very tight budget) But it's nice to find out about other treeless saddles that are out there.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:15 am 
Site Admin

How about the summer trec? that is my personal favorite :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:41 am 

hmmm....that's not bad is it? Ptrice is good for me too.

Would I be able to put traditional english/dressage style stirrups and leathers on it rather than the western looking fenders? I have to admit I do like english style looking saddles rather than the western ones....fussy aren't i? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

That is exactly what I do :)
I hate fenders...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:50 pm 

Hi Josepha, as I am planning to buy a saddle sometime next spring, I am also always interested in these topics.
What saddle pad comes under the summer trec? As I understand for treeless saddles, you always need a special saddle pad, or is that old info?

As Celtictotem did consider the barefoot saddles. I was wondering how that summer trec does compare to those. First time I saw the summer trec and it looks like a comfy saddle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:57 pm 

Oooohhhh....Josepha!!! I've just seen that you have an australian stock saddle on sale!! Now those I like....very much!! I thought they'd be waaaay out of my price range....they look like they are cut so they would give more shuolder movement.....mind you I wouldn't know where to start with fitting one. Should you fit those like normal english saddles?

What are your experiences with the australian stock saddles Josepha?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

AndreaO wrote:
Hi Josepha, as I am planning to buy a saddle sometime next spring, I am also always interested in these topics.
What saddle pad comes under the summer trec? As I understand for treeless saddles, you always need a special saddle pad, or is that old info?

As Celtictotem did consider the barefoot saddles. I was wondering how that summer trec does compare to those. First time I saw the summer trec and it looks like a comfy saddle.

Hi andrea!

No, indeed I would advice a grandeur pad or something a like an endurence pad with these saddles always :)

The summer trec is al lot like the Barefoot Cheyenne or the randolls canadian trec :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Celtictotem wrote:
Oooohhhh....Josepha!!! I've just seen that you have an australian stock saddle on sale!! Now those I like....very much!! I thought they'd be waaaay out of my price range....they look like they are cut so they would give more shuolder movement.....mind you I wouldn't know where to start with fitting one. Should you fit those like normal english saddles?

Yes it is the last one we have, waiting like a left over puppy at the dogpound to be taken :)
It is very light so excellent for long rides.

They are very comfy for the rider, but rising trot is a bit difficult.
It would fit like a normal dressage saddle.

But from this range I can not tell you if it would fit of course... we could measure your horses wither's and the lengt of the back, but that still would not give you garantuees.

If only I could come over to the UK :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:10 pm 

Josepha wrote:
Yes it is the last one we have, waiting like a left over puppy at the dogpound to be taken :)
It is very light so excellent for long rides.

They are very comfy for the rider, but rising trot is a bit difficult.
It would fit like a normal dressage saddle.

But from this range I can not tell you if it would fit of course... we could measure your horses wither's and the lengt of the back, but that still would not give you garantuees.

If only I could come over to the UK :lol:

Hmmm...distance does make fitting this saddle a bit difficult huh? lol I like the look of the aussie saddles....for riding across the open new forest I always feel they would give a lot of stability and security. I know that lots of commoners use them when they are on drifts here in the forest.

Bo's old saddle is a 17" medium wide synthetic GP wintec saddle. It's fine almost everywhere, gives good wither and spine clearence but rubs just above her shoulders and seems very tight there. This is why I'm looking for a new one....I just feel her old one doesn't fit right now she has filled out as she's got older.

AH well....I'm sure I'll find something perfect eventually....even if it means saving for a while. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:30 pm 

i am riding with a BF and a haf pad or a suberpannel
under it.
i don't like the original ones because they become quite fast thin.
Also i have put out the pommel, and have some soft tissue in it. The pommel was way to small and give lots of pressure on his shoulders.
When i removed the pommel and put teddy bear stuff in it. Pushed very hard so made it rounded again.
And the saddle works fine again. No more trubbles.

i like also een Heather Moffet saddle. But those are very expensive :wink:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:35 am 

Celtictotem wrote:

be careful about getting an Australian Stock saddle, unless of course your horse turns into a skinny thoroughbred. The ones available here are generally way to narrow, really heavy and put you in a chair saddle. I used to ride in them (and owned one :blush: ) and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.