The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
 Post subject: Re: Pictures of Nepomuk
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 am 

How wonderful you have the photo of Nepomuk as a foal with his mother, and he is still gorgeous.
I love your photo's and the way you have assimilated so much, a real fast track in learning horsemanship, with lots of love shining in your posts, true empathy for the sentience of the horses being.
I envy the leading out walks, I did this for many miles over many years with Thoroughbreds and ponies, but these days feel thwarted by fast traffic and lack of ability to believe I could safeguard my heavy cob Daniel or Shire horse Arthur. I do not trust that I can any longer hold a rope or have them walk with me if they chose to be elsewhere, yet taller Thoroughbreds always allowed me to remain the guardian when walking in hand and going out to experience the wider world.
So beautiful, great album.xx

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Admin

such wonderful pictures and I am so happy you finally found a good home for Mucki with lots of hay!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:26 am 

Thank you Susie! Thank you Josepha! Actually - we're moving again on Saturday ;). I will write about it in my diary...

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:34 am 
Site Admin

:ieks: :huh:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:18 am 

Pictures from our new barn! Read all about it in my diary ;)

We simply had to picnic there in the pasture - it's our favourite pastime!

This is the view down the pastures and over the valley.

View up to the farm. You can see Mucki in his paddock right beside the barn.

That's only part of the pastures that our herd of four horses will have to roam :applause:.

There's so much to see here! :D

We have a room with a view...

... and a hay supply that never ceases :ieks:

Even the arena has some nice views.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:08 am 

WOW! It looks amazing.......bring on the fat summer horses with all that green grass!!!! :funny:

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 am 

Morgan wrote:
WOW! It looks amazing.......bring on the fat summer horses with all that green grass!!!! :funny:
Yeah, that's an issue of course. We are a bit worried about it and will take it real slow to get them used to the grass. Good thing is, that there will be a first cut of grass this or next week, before they get on. Right now, you can hear the grass grow with all that sun and the long awaited rain...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 pm 

Oooh my... So much green would frighten me! You'll have to keep up the training if you don't want Mucki to explode :green:

But honestly. What a fantastic place you've found! The best of luck with it!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:41 pm 

Grass that has been stressed is the most likely to have the highest sugar starch figures. You can research this and see the same information. That first flush is hot.

So glad you are being cautious.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:11 am 

Whaoo... this looks like haven to me. :yes: i would gallop to your new barn with all 3 horses Erez and Uri too if we could. it seems like there are some beautiful roads to go out and discover all around you. the paddock - OMG - i wouldn't know the nutritional value/risks of it since here in Israel there is almost no place that stays grassy after April, but it looks so beautiful & peaceful and the wide space of the pasture looks like it will encourage some activity to wonder around.
congratulations :applause:
is it close\far from home?
i hope all 4 of you will be happy there. :yes:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:11 am 

Magnesium, - easy to buy for horses, cattle and sheep, all are prone to grass staggers or laminitis when going out to Spring pasture.
I love that ad-lib hay, helps digestion and perhaps Mucki can split his time between pasture and barn, if it is a hot day and the flies are biting he could just go to pasture at night?
Usually it is cheaper to buy minerals for sheep than horses, anything with 'pferde' costs more, (sheep need much less copper) but sheep and cattle minerals are also fine for horses - (but check label carefully for ingredients and compare against a similar product made for horses), or simply add extra magnesium oxide to daily feed.
Do you have friendly sheep and cattle farmers who buy in bulk so you can just buy a few kilos as required?
If not most livestock feed suppliers stock magnesium as well as molassed hi-mag licks for sheep, (which I put in my barn for sheep and horses to help themselves from, they do not over use the bucket lick). http://www.brinicombe.co.uk/agriculture ... terlix.php
BEAUTIFUL PHOTOs.xx

http://www.bodrwyn.org/articles/dietforlaminitis.php
http://www.maneline.co.uk/Index_files/Laminitis.htm
http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinf ... s-staggers
http://www.pda.org.uk/leaflets/6/no6-page3.htm

although horses are not ruminants like cattle and sheep turn out on a full stomach of hay is preferable, magnesium oxide safer than calcinate and horses (+humans) do not store magnesium in the body for long periods so freely available mineral bucket licks are useful. This is a cow + sheep forum but similar ideas http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48787

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:14 am 

Thank you all for your posts and suggestions! Soon the pasture will be open to us - I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime I have to share some pictures of Lily and Mucki which illustrate quite well how they have developed over the years. Lily has grown much more calm and earnest in a positive way. She works much more concentrated and focused now.
And Mucki has definitely left his childhood days behind - look at that regal face now! :ieks: BUT, he is right in the middle of his adolescence, which means I have to work on polite distance a bit again. Especially when he kicks in my direction or gives me a nice, matey bodycheck now and then :blush:.
Well, I'm positive that we'll get through this phase as well... hopefully unscathed :green:

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 am 

Just a few pictures from our horses in the snow. Unfortunately Mucki wears his heavy caveson, because I expected leading issues our way down the snowy pastures, but he was calm and sweet ;) Well, he still manages to look sweet I think :love:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:26 am 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:40 pm 

Looks like you guys had a really fab time. :D
I would love to be able to spend time with everyone here on AND as we are all so different and add so much to each others ideas and practice with our horses. Lucky you to spend time with Romy and lucky Romy to spend time with you and Anna and your two fab horses.
Morgan also never gets as playful with me as with others, I really don't mind though as long as he enjoys it as I enjoy watching him enjoy it :applause: :D

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next