The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Finally, our new home
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:39 am 

Hi

I told about moving my horse to a new place. She is there now for about 3 weeks. This is of her first week. Here she is still alone in the field, but there are horses next to her. The stables are on the right behind her but you can't see them. That is my dad that is saying hello to her. Then it was all new to her and at night she was still indoor in her stable. But now she prefers to stay outside even when it rains (I never thought she could be that tuff) but it is great to see how she has changed. She has become more independent and strong. When I take her out the field to train some with her and I let her back in the field you can see her joy, she expresses her feelings more. She galops into the field, yelling at the other horses, full of life. The way I want to see her. It is like a dream now. I hope it can last.

Oh yes, by the way, it is NOT my house you see ;)

Greetings
Tlove

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Wow, your pasture is so big that in the first picture she just looks like a small pony! It must be wonderful for her to live there, I can imagine why she wants to be outdoors for so long.

And yeah, nice house! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Wow looks great!! She must be sooo happy there!! :mrgreen:

P.S. Be a bit careful with letting the ropehalter on when you are not around. I've heard of horses getting tangled up with it and severely hurting themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:53 am 

The land is owned by a doctor who is retired. Every summer he goes to France for about 2 months. He is very rich, but he does not have any animals of his own (just 2 dogs ;) ) I know I am lucky to have this oppurtunity. It also includes a lot of work, I have to do everything myself, feeding, cleaning the stable (not so much anymore now) but I love doing it, it has brought me and my horse much closer.
In the beginning I had to go to her twice a day. Because she first needed to get used to all the gras and being outdoors for so long. But now it's a lot easier, I go at least once a day. And then I can just be with her.

If you follow that little road that you see in the last picture you go to the riding area and the stables. And actually I love it there, I am alone, it is so calm there. There are other horses there but they live on grass alone (I still feed my horse) and the owners never come to see their horses.

I understand what you mean with the halter. But the owner of the place asked if I could let a halter on if something would happen. So I rather leave the light rope halter on then a thick other halter. But I have been worried about that too.

Normally we can only stay there until september. Because he had some bad experience with other owners of horses who did not respect his privacy and his rules. So I guess he wants to see if we are good people :wink: . I do my very best and I hope we can stay there. I am so glad he unleast gave us a change.

Greetings

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:16 am 
Site Admin

I heard that a normal halter can be fitted better so it is safer and when something gets stuck it won't hurt so much because it devides the pressure more. I have a normal padded one for my old horse wich holds an alarm and she has this on 24/7 and it does not bother her although she has a very sensitive skin. Maybe an idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:58 am 
Site Admin

I would use a regular halter instead of a ropehalter too. You can find a lot of halters nowadays that can be adjusted both on the nose, under the cheeks and behind the ears so it fits very snug around the head. Ropehalters are too shifty for my feeling and also have a very wide noseband. It's easy to imagine a hoof getting stuck in it... But it's true that they are lighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:03 am 

Ok. I see the advantages of a normal halter. It is true as you say that the rope halter is wide. Well, I guess it is time to go shopping :wink:

Thanks
Greetings

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:40 pm 

A good old leather one is best as nylon halters still not always break, mind you I have had the rings break before the halter has given away before, which is a good thing. I say old as some of the newer halters have a metal wire running through them even the nylon ones to give them strength so please be aware when you are out looking for a halter.

Oh and welcome BTW :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:09 am 
Site Admin

She looks so happy Tanja!

well done!

Indeed leather is best for the outside :)