The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm 

What better illustration of true, natural collection (specially without a bit) than these photos taken by Tracy Robertson of my 3 month old foal - she is so well balanced....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:43 pm 

wow!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: you have an exeptional baby there! congratulations :applause: :applause: :applause: i just love the photos. i know what you are saying. horses have it already, it is not them that need to learn, it is us! :clap: thankyou for showing these photos. i really really love them. :love: :love: :love:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:44 pm 

can i ask.... is he warmblood?? just interested in what breed, as he is perfect :love:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm 

Warmblood x TB - exceptionally good breeding with excellent jumping and dressage background.....we got her virtually by accident as she was not an intended breeding and mom's owners didn't really want a mare and specially not a mare and foal - so we took a chance and I believe we have been rewarded with an exceptional baby! Thanks jessplum. :f:

Mom and dad are lovely too, dad is only just 3 and really starting to look really good. :yes:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:14 pm 

looks really warmblood! what a solid horse. he looks as though he has great movement too. you really have landed yourselves with an exceptional foal...well done!!! :applause: are you going to be playing games? i am interested in what people on this forum like to do with their foals to encourage, but not exhaust their natural ability. :love: they are brilliant, foals, my mum has alot of them, and i am taking over their work (play) :cheers: so i would love to hear what others like yourself are doing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:22 pm 

I don't like playing just any games with foals as, like any baby, they don't understand boundaries yet. Very simple games yes, but no mad running around type games, rather calm games and ones which teach respect - like follow-my-leader but not in my space, chase the ball, lets touch you all over, pick up legs on command.......
I did this with my last foal and only started games proper when she was older and it worked so well, she is now 2and 1/2 years and living in a herd on a farm for a year, yet she remembers her manners and lessons/games very well.

This young lady is going to be quite a handful as mom and dad are both quite pushy so we will have to handle her carefully - she is calm and relaxed and we can do almost anything with her and I want her to remain like that. As we go along I will decide what games would be good, depending on how she reacts.
Will keep you updated as we progress....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:42 pm 

oh thankyou. i agree. i use just the gentle games too with babies, because they do need to learn their boundaries.

i have a young (11month) warmblood filly. her mother is a don remiro line, and her father was byalee romance, from regardez moi. she is my mums filly that she bred for herself befor her accident.

the filly is called Aztec rose. her mother is aweful, she is pushy and rude like i have never known. and apparently the father is much the same (that is what gives him the winning edge)

she was unhandled totally for about six months and would line people up to kick through a fence. i hopped on danni and followed her around to pat her and get her used to me being there next to her. this was the way i eventually convinced her i was ok. now, she is the best little filly i have ever handled. this is her

i have just turned her out recently, but i found that lift the leg was a good game, and pedistal play was great. she was no probs to load on the float the first time, i think that it was because i said "up" and that was my cue to pedistal. she also played follow the leader. and they love to do this at a nice trott or canter, and i play by trying to trick them. see if they can stop when i stop. this was a favorite to alot of the foals that i have played with.
i cant wait to hear updates!! :applause:

Last edited by jessplum on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

If you hear any noise at all, that was because I fell down my chair! wwwwwwooooozer! :ieks:

Collection indeed, and what a stunning baby, with a stunning buttocks already! :love: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:29 pm 

wow!! Gorgeous!! So stunning, just unbelievable!! And the face... It makes me melt!! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 pm 

i agree with all above...wow....nice very nice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:14 am 

Wow, what an amazing baby you have! :love:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:16 am 

Thanks everyone - I wondered if I am just biased and see her as beautifully put together because she is mine - lol! :blush:

Josepha, on your next visit to SA you HAVE to make time to meet her.............she is the most gentle, yet playful little girl. She has her third visit from the farrier tomorrow and is perfect with him.

Oh yes jessplum, that is what we do lots of from day one - preparation for farrier, and desensitisation - she is rubbed with plastic bags, has all sorts of strange things put in her paddock (from traffic cones to doggy toys to feed bags.....) and anything we can balance on her head or back or put on her ears (donut-type toys etc) are presented to her. :alien:
Love your baby, looks so peaceful, just love the 'sleeping' face! :love: