The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:01 am 

All these pics feature Belle as I have known her the last few years. Most are not my show off kind of pics, but just getting to know her snap shots. She's a 1992 American Saddlebred. She's had 2 babies when she was with a previous owner. 16.2, and can you see that she is a honest, shy, kind thing? Truly, she is the most generous horse I have ever had the luck to work with. Some imagine that a y, purebred, chestnut mare might be a tough project, but in our years together she has shied one step with me once. And that was out by the main road which was hidden by bushes. She had many problems when we met. Some have dissipated, some remain, but I hope that as the dramao at her barn diminishes and the weather improves, can work some approaches from the AND continuum with her and help her feel even better in her own skin and among both people and horses.

The summer of 2006 when we met - with her (former) owner:

The following winter:

Both getting into the swing of working

the first real snow I saw in this area

September 2007:

We went to a horse trial last summer - gah, look how thin she was getting (and it got waaaaay worse):

Portrait of us this spring by my friend Jake SHivery:

In the big snow last month - look! weight!!

This past weekend - it had been some time since we had seen eachother:
how cute is she? I can see the filly she was in this one.

OK. That is pretty much befores. I hope we get to work together more, and that I will also have AND pictures to show you working with the lovely young Maraquita, who needs... everything.

But I can't resist, so here's her before:

Apologies for any overlap with my intro, but I thought pictures was the place for this!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:31 am 

:clap: :clap: that is a beautiful collection of photos. there is a photo of you and belle that just brought tears to my eyes. it is obviouse to me that she is pouring out her emotion to you. she trusts that she can share her sadness with you. you can see her telling you how she feels. it is beautiful and sad. you both should be together. :pray: :pray: :pray:

that is the connection i look for when i match up people with rescues. horses pick their companions, we should not pick them. she has chosen you. my hopes are that you will end up with her. are there no ways that you can do it??? :sad: :sad: :sad:

i think that you two are a beautiful pair :f: :f: :f: :f: :f: :f: :f: :f: :f:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:36 am 

And it brings tears to my eyes to reply. Right now her being mine is out. Lee and I are walking a fine, self employed line. If I had not finally gotten a check today for some of him long ago turned in work I'd be worried about paying the bills next month. And the belt is tight here. No soda. No pre-made food treats. No retirement funds. Fewer hot showers. Heat down at 66f during the day and the 50s at night. No new camera for work. All clothes and furnishings used or gifted. No christmas present shopping. Zip. I mean we live pretty simply - we are bohemian artist types after all ;) Lee does not do the horse thing, so it is not something a shared passion will carry.

I did look at the current sale list (selling horses on craigslist - cringe - get off your butt ad do some real work if you are selling horses!), and she is off it right now. I do not hold my breath with the folks at the farm, but if Adrian actually says something, my inclination is to believe him. He said this weekend he wants to get down to 3 - 4 horses and for Belle to be one of them. I am too scared to believe it in my heart. But I am heartened and will return to the farm with some more regularity.

Really, everyone there knows we are totally in love with one another and how very far we have come together. It was funny, when I said if he was keeping Belle I'd be happy to work with Maraquita to help make her a more attractive prospect, he said that would be wonderful, "But I want you to focus on being a world famous photographer most of all." We both chimed in with, "Because world famous photographer make the kind of bank to keep horses!!" If I was not currently feeling burned by the last year there, I'd probably be obliviously content with the state of things. But that is not the case. I am glad you can see with Belle what I do. We really are so very much alike. Sensitive. Kind. Shy. Brave. Generous. Easily chased off. Doubtful. A little eating disorder prone. Reddish of hair. Tallish and long of leg. Flexible. Sad prone. Capable. I cannot even imagine what as done to her by previous owners. I know she was born into a serious saddlebred barn - she has the nicked tail to attest to that. M always thought someone whip trained her head up. While she was straight tied. :evil: RRrrrrrr!!!!!!!

D**n I love that horse. I can just sit here scrolling up and down, staring at her. Feeling her in each image. D**n I wish Flight Time Gold was alive. :sad: D**n I wish Bella had taken when M tried to breed them. D**n I am lucky to have met them all and earned the love of so many. D**n I am glad that things are finally moving at the barn as uncertainty beats certain entropy. D**n it was good to see, though we need to rebuild that bond a little. She gets really weird when I am away from her. I sometimes refer to her as Bella the autistic, eating disordered princess. At least it is pretty clear that she is eating ;) Even stoic Adrian says how much she misses and needs me. SO I go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:11 pm 

That is so sad and heartfelt. I almost want to cry. You seem to truly love this mare.

It is really hard letting go of friends. I faced a decision last year moving from our farm into town I had to say good bye to a few friends and downsize to 2 horses. it was hard there ws something diferent about each of them that I loved. But they were costing me $300 a week to feed etc now we have to pay for grazing.

I survived it as I knew the people that took a few of them and I know they are good homes. I also wanted them to be happy and get lots of attention that (cause I was working long hours to keep them) I couldn't give them. Also I know I can visit them whenever I wanted - and I do.

The 2 I kept I don't think I could ever let go of.

Do you have friend that might take her? Or share ownership with someone you trust. Would the owner of her let you lease her? I don't know where you live but maybe a farmer might give you free grazing.

Good luck with your challenges.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:22 am 

Anneliese,
I was so touched by what you wrote in this last post. I hope that there will be the opportunity for you at some point to own Bella. I know that finding pasture around where you live is not easy. But it is still possible to try. We found pasture with barn for our horse in the town where we live because of a friendship my daughter had developed with a lady who she met in the local park. They agreed to let us lease their pasture that they had not used for over 12 years for a very nominal fee just because they liked my daughter. It was really a miracle for me. There are some very compassionate people with money around. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:05 pm 

Annaliese,

I have read your introduction, and now this. This is such a sad situation for you and Bella. :( I hope that somehow, something happens so that you end up together.

The potrait of the two of you is so beautiful and sad.

:f:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Her soft and loving expression on the picture were you hug her... oh... :friends: :love:

She looks so special! And you look so happy and content just being around her...

I know the feeling with my long lost love Jimmy...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:40 pm 

Thanks everyone for your sweet support. I will tell Bella when I go see her today and/or tomorrow. But I am sure she already knows. In her horsey way. :love: