The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:38 pm 

Hi, I've been a member of the forum for a really long time actually... And I've frequently been on the forum to read about all it's interesting subjects, but I've never taken the time to post any of my own or to introduce myself. Fact is that I would like to, so...
My name is Naomi.
I'm from Belgium but I've been living in Italy for 10 years now. I'm 21 years old.
I studied Art at the Istituto d'istruzione superiore Piero della Francesca, Rilievo e catalogazione dei beni culturali.
I've got an organic farm here, we produce olive oil and red wine.
We als have a guesthouse (agritaurismo) and since short I breed Haflinger horses.
That brings me of course to my horses, My firs horse actually wasn't a horse but a donkey, Rosina. I had always wanted a horse but when my mom proposed me to get a donkey instead I was the happiest person in the world anyway! ;)
That was in 2004? I'm not sure...
After Rosina I've owned different horses, but my real soulmate I've met on the 23th of June 2008. A 3 year old haflinger mare named Gerti. It was just love on the first sight! And ever since I've been passionate by this breed. A breed that has surprised me in so many ways and so many times. After Gerti I bought another mare, Ombra dei Rucc; with my boyfriend so we could go riding together.
When January 2012 I found a full sister of my Gerti, pregnant of a good breeding stallion for sale, I haven't tough twice about it! So in March of that Year our fist foal was born. We named her Samarina di Chio. And so It all started. And what was One haflinger now are 5! :colors: And two are coming, they are to be born any day now. Also I have a little arabian stallion, Billi, my personal love ;-) Ever since Rosina I used to ride without saddle or bit usually also without bridle. I hadn't at that time heard of natural horsemanschip, ND or any of that. It seemed natural to me to be friends with my horses and to work with them in as much freedom as was possible. Later I started to learn more about it and about the different philosophy's. I particularly agreed and liked High School. But I was by now convinced by the damage bits do in the horse's month so that brought me after some time and a lot of research, here! :D For years I tried to find/achieve bitless collection. But in vane, however a moment came that it all made sense and with the help of a friend Gerti and I managed the first real steps in the right direction. We still have a long way to go, but it's the road that matters, not the finish line ;-) Samarina is now 2 Years old (on the 21st of March she'll be 2) And she's been learning ever since she was born, I've found that it is so much easier to start from zero than to re-learn some things, as with Gerti (she used to race before... Yeah I know some will laugh at the idea of haflingers on the race track but in Suedtirol there are races only for haflingers) So Samarina will be my first ND horse who's never known anything else than this method :)

https://app.box.com/s/2ncoubsvk7en3s5b8297

https://app.box.com/s/tun2iv4aqir0i3et78zb

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/174906134 ... 2994810641

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Naomi! :)

Nice to finally know who you are. :smile: Sounds like you have a wonderful group of horses and I am looking forward to reading about them, and especially about Rosina - I love donkeys. :)

Best wishes,
Romy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:40 pm 

Rosina unfortunately passed away two years ago, 4 days after my first foal was born. But She and donkey's in general will always have a very special place in my heart. I hope that one day another donkey will cross my road, they are special. And so misunderstood, I hope that more people will start to understand their exceptional quality! However I will take the time to post some pictures of here when I can ;-) (are they working by the way? The picture's above? I'm not sure I've done it right...)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:32 pm 

Welcome Naomi! :f:

I really like Haflinger horses! And Gerti is such a sweet name for one :funny:
Wow - olives, wine, agriturismo and Haflingers sounds like a business concept to copy :applause:

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:06 pm 

Welcome Naomi :f:

Wow, all that sounds and looks wonderful.
I d love to read and see more of you and your huge family.

Greetings,
Dani

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:09 am 

Thank you all! :D