The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Howdy from Oklahoma
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:10 am 

My name is Sam and I am so happy I stumbled upon this site. I've been silently obseving for a while now an thought it was time I made myself known. Though you may not see many posts from me as i much prefer to read all of yours.

This is Moe, she is a 4 yr old quarab (egyptian arabX quarter horse). She was my first horse to own and my first to train. I've owned her scince she was 4 weeks old. She was an accidental breeding that I had discovered and the owners of the breeding farm were very gererous in pricing her. I never intended to purchase a foal as a first horse. I was clueless starting out. Scince i started her under saddle (a little over a year ago) i have learned so much! The area i board in is very western, be the boss type and i started her very roughly. I never felt right about it and still cant believe i ever treated her like i did. I'm so thankfull there are other, more horse oriented ways. I started her in a halter and have only ridden her in a bit a few times. It's not been easy, lots of pressure. Of course they are only worried about my safety as Moe can be very oppinionated. But i cant stand a bit in her mouth. I never could and never will. I started doing treat training with her around november so i'm still new. I hope to post some videos eventually of our progression. She knows some stuff and has realy started to offer things to me.

This is Jesse! He's my dad's horse. I believe he is a percheron cross of some sort. I think abound 10. He was Moe's paddock pal untill his owner started having money issues. Dad had fallen in love and couldn't bare to not see him anymore and so purchased him a few months ago. He was labled a problem horse and his owners were terrified of him. But in the few months working with him he has turned into a big teddy bear. He always wants attention and loves to be groomed. My father plans on teaching him to pull but sais I have free rein to practice AND with him aswell. We were told he was origionally a dressage horse and believe me he has such beautifull movement when he wants. When the previous owners couldn't handle him they had a rough cowboy type to excersize him and when i started riding him i noticed he was VERY sensative to my legs, and would bolt with very slight touches. Lots of flaily floppy "loud" riding and now he's much better. He currently is ridden in a bit but i'm working on changing that. At least for when i ride as my dad will be using one when he drives him.

Post subject: Re: Howdy from Oklahoma
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Sam! :)

Great that you have written an introduction, and your horses are lovely. It was so funny for me to look at your pics, because when I saw Mooe, I thought she looked like a perfect mix of my Titum and Summy (Arab and Quarter horse cross, respectively). Then I thought that now only a horse like my Pia (Shetland) was missing, and as I scroll down, I see that huge Pia-colored Jesse! :funny:

I hope you will enjoy that forum and if you have any questions, just ask. :f:

Best wishes,
Romy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:55 am 

Welcome Sam! :f:

Nice that you found your way here! I hope you like our forum and I will look forward to more stories about your lovely horses.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:15 pm 

Hi there :)
I hope you enjoy reading your way through the forum. I'm fairly new, so am still doing lots of reading and browsing :D
Sunny