The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hi From New England!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:30 am 

Hey, everyone! I just stumbled across this wonderful forum tonight and am excited to be a member. I've loved horses for as long as I can remember and have been riding English for many years. I've had my own horse for over four years now, and after much frustration and switching back and forth between bits, halters, etc. and treed saddles, treeless saddles, and bareback, I'm ready to finally get serious.

I have never been taught to ride (or handle on the ground) with the horse's best interest completely in mind, but I have never felt "right" about it either. But I have been blessed with a horse that doesn't let me get away with pushing and pulling her around like I've been taught to do. We have never been able to ride together completely without some sort of complication, and I'm sure it will make a world of difference if I learn to listen better to what she's trying to tell me. We don't have a bad horse-human relationship, and I am always greeted with forward ears and a cheerful whinny, but I don't think that we are completely listening to or respecting each other either.

I'm sure I'll be starting a thread of some sort soon, but I would love some pointers on where to start out (right now is the perfect time too, because the ground is too hard to do much riding, so I'm not tempted!) with groundwork, when the riding can begin and where to start with that, and some favorite riding cavessons. I'm always interested in what everyone's favorite bareback setups are too! Feel free to share any of your favorite helpful links with me; I would appreciate it! :)

Here's Crayon, my 7 1/2 year-old solid Paint (No, that is not her barn in the background. Teehee.):

Post subject: Re: Hi From New England!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Welcome! :)

I guess I should have read your introduction first before replying to your other thread. :funny: I was assuming you had a young horse who has not been ridden yet. But well, actually it does not matter: if I was going to re-start riding with a horse, I would do it from scratch, anyway.

I hope you will find some interesting information here in the forum and also share your journey with us. Oh, and Crayon looks like such a cutie. :smile:

Best wishes,
Romy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:10 am 

hihi,
I'm going the wrong way round too :)
Crayon is beautiful and she looks like a smart horse!
I hope you have fun with her, discovering new paths together...

Big hug
Barbara

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:48 pm 

Thank you both for the warm welcomes! :f:

I think that once I start acting differently, Crayon will catch on quickly. I'm sure I'll still have to be pretty patient though! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:25 pm 

Welcome! :f:

I hope you have fun here on the forum and find what you are looking for.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:11 pm 

Welcome here! Crayon is lovely!! :yes:

Cyndi