The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 pm 

Hi everyone =),

My name is Jessii im from norfolk, england.
I have always had horses around me they are my love, passion and they also get me up in the mornings! lol

Ive been on the journey to finding the best approch to horse training for about a year and a half now, Shocks me now to say it but although i loved and cared about horses i didnt realy SEE exactly what was there, i was brought up to 'deal' with horses in a traditional approach, i always loved the idea of riding my horse bridleless ect. but i never put that thought into action!
Untill my loverly pony sparkey died from a brain tumour =(

A few months later this feeling came over me to buy a youngster, and train it myself (have no idea why lol) ...
also around that time i got extreamly interested in click training, natural horsemanship, no bits ect.

I met rosie whom at 3 years old she had been from home to home and sent back to the dealer as she was deemed too dangerous 8) lol , i fell in love with her and took her home, as you do =)

It has been a rocky road, I started off with little knowledge and alot if ideas, so i went through stages =/, rosie did not like my natural horsemanship parelli stage atall and we just were not having fun!, the clicker training has always suited us, and around 4 months ago i decided to remove all ropes, increse the positive reinforcement, play games, have fun, be totally passive apart from asking her to back up nicely if she got a little over the top, That has turned into a wonderful relationship, she always chooses to be with me and we can do more and more each day. We still have much more to learn and she still has lots to teach me :)

Through all the confusion about methods and the best way to train and pure depression to be honest ect. i feel i have grown alot myself and finally found 'how to be with her' =)

i found this forum and you seem like a realy nice comunity and i hope to learn some and maybe help others a little lol

Thankyou For reading, My pictures wont come up, but heres rosies facebook album link: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 737&type=1

Thank you =)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:08 am 

Welcome Jessii! :f:

Rosie looks sweet!

When I read your story I recognise a lot of things like the disliked Parelli phase ;). It seems you have found a nice way to be with your horse. I´m certain you will find inspiration and food for thought here.

BTW how old is Rosie now? And what breed?

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Jessii! :)

Oh, Rosalle is such a cutie! Great to have you two in the forum and please share your experiences with us. From the little I have read so far, it sounds like you are doing great. :f:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:53 am 

Thankyou Houyhnhnm & Romy,

I think everyone goes through phases especialy when they take on alot of new ideas, methods ect. at once lol, i never actually did parelli, monty roberts, or the 'cowboy' trainers methods to the book, but i took the idea that you needed control and respect ect. i had been working with other peoples horses using that concept (not being as harsh as those trainers are with horses) mixed with clicker training, its worked well, but im not naturally a leader or 'dominant' type of person if you know what i mean, so i think rosie picked up on my 'acting' lol

Quite simply rosie wont take any crap, however much you fight her she just says 'no your the one thats in the wrong', she has a very young, free, playful spirit .. trying to control that is where her ex owners went wrong.

I still use no ropes exept for walks out, most of the time she does 5 mins work a minuite of grazing and then shes like 'right, back to work' lol =)

=) shes just turned 4, i dont know her breed on her papers it just says Breed: Horse 8)

Thanks,
Jessii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome! Enjoy AND :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:43 pm 

Thankyou, im sure i will,
Seems like a very nice Group plus alot of interesting exercises & information :)

Jessii