The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:14 pm 

Hi everyone!
I was inspired by the bond I saw between horse and human on many of your photos/videos and the friendly attitude amidst the forum members. I feel I could be in good company here :yes: …

Originally from the Netherlands, my partner and I moved to Slovakia in June 2010. We were uncomfortable with the numbness of most people in Western society and felt the need to be in contact with life again – be ALIVE again. We found our perfect spot in the beautiful natural surroundings of Stiavnicke Vrchy: a protected landscape in (Central South) Slovakia. I have to admit it took a little time adjusting ourselves: life is much more basic and very different here. We learned to become more and more content about how life is, instead of trying to make it better, achieving a new goal, etc. An extremely liberating feeling, life truly is a creative adventure again !
In terms of “professional” information: I have about 15 years of experience in marketing/pr and basic graphic design and have studied natural medicine for animals. My special interests lie in behavior en psychology.

And now the horse part of my introduction. To me, all living creatures are individuals and I try to stimulate personal development as much as I can (not with the mosquito buzzing around my ear though, than I can become extremely territorial and intolerant :rambo: ). I do not want our horses to learn a new trick / circus act or walk a certain parcours because I tell them to, I want to motivate & inspire them to think, feel and act for themselves. To grow in their personality and feel comfortable and confident about themselves, physically, mentally and emotionally. Much of that is achieved by providing them with the right basics though: an inspiring meadow/living space where there is always something to investigate and where they can do whatever they want whenever they want, a stable herd and proper food and water ad libitum...
At the moment we are accompanied by six horses and three cats.

Roxy (1996) Appaloosa mare
Laidback, stable and (most of the time) gentle, not “everyone’s friend”.

Gonzo (2002) Noriker gelding
Rapid and fierce, but also very friendly and easy to make contact with.

Frodo (2005) cross-bred gelding of KWPN (Dutch warmblood) and most likely Paint horse
Extremely smart and playful, sensitive to tension and negative emotions.

Tehya (2004) Quarter Horse mare (pleasure bred)
Lively and happy, still a bit “green”, sweet but feisty personality.

Mursi (1994) NRPS mare (Dutch warmblood with Arab in blood line)
Very intelligent with a strong held opinion, diva, clear and fair communication.

Zeck (2004) KWPN gelding (bred for jumping)
Careful but curious, venturesome, a zen-master, reserved with strangers.

And last but not least, some pictures of their beautiful meadow:
Summer 2010

Winter 2010/2011

Spring 2011

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome! :)

What a coincidence: just this morning I thought about moving to Czech Republic (which is not far from where I live) and how I would not mind being a bit "poorer" at all. I so love this more basic lifestyle and feel so at home there whenever I visit someone. And then the same day you arrive here, a Western person who has really moved there - totally cool! :)

Your herd looks lovely (I especially like Mursi) and I am looking forward to reading more about you and them. :f:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:17 pm 

Welcome! :f: Thank you for the very nice introduction. I think you will find many like-minded friends here. :yes: Do you want to tell us your name, or have I just missed it?

You have such a nice collection of horses! And so many! From the pictures, I like Gonzo the most :D, and Roxy, and probably all the others as well :D.

I too like the idea of escaping the city, moving to the countryside and start a barn with a few horses. I´d love that. I´m working in the marketing sector too (web design), and for too long already ;). Have you abandoned your former occupation, if I may ask? Do you work with your horses for a living now? I need some escapist examples I can look to, to encourage me :D.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

What a paradise! Welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:07 pm 

@ Romy: life is indeed much richer if you live "back to basic" :yes: , so if you have the chance and this is where your heart lies: take the jump, you won't regret it :friends: .

@ Houyhnhnm (that is a difficult name to spell :huh: ): You did not miss my name, I use my avatar as name on fora. Unfortunately I have a persistent stalker in my personal past and I do not want to be traced again :roll: ...
Yes, I have abandoned my former occupation (no regrets!), the horses are here for their and our pleasure only. My partner provides our income at the moment ;) .

@ Josepha: thank you! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:29 pm 

YamaDeva wrote:
@ Houyhnhnm (that is a difficult name to spell :huh: )
Call me Volker, that´s much easier to spell ;). Houyhnhnm is a word that Oliver Swift came up with, so basically I´m not to blame :D.

YamaDeva wrote:
You did not miss my name, I use my avatar as name on fora. Unfortunately I have a persistent stalker in my personal past and I do not want to be traced again :roll: ...
No problem, your avatar name is just fine.

YamaDeva wrote:
Yes, I have abandoned my former occupation (no regrets!), the horses are here for their and our pleasure only. My partner provides our income at the moment ;) .
Oh dear, that´s one nice partner! Does he do horsestuff as well?

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:42 am 

Houyhnhnm wrote:
Oh dear, that´s one nice partner! Does he do horsestuff as well?

Hi Volker, Yes he is very nice :green: and he does horsestuff as well. In terms of horse interaction he likes riding the most, but he enjoys any quality time with them, a cuddling session in the meadow, a nice walk together... As long as it is outside and both parties are enjoying it, he is happy :yes:.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:40 am 

Hello and welcome!

Your herd looks magnificent and Slovakia heart-thumpingly beautiful.

My husband and I just made a similar move from Southern California to the mountains in New York state here in the US -- the area where we live is really beautiful and not terribly far from the city, but really remote all the same. It is a shift! But I love it, too -- I love waking up in the morning and going for a walk in the mountains and seeing everything that lives here...every day has some magic gift.

Anyway, sorry -- I'm babbling about myself!

A very warm welcome to you and your equine pals. I'm looking forward to hearing more!

All the best,
Leigh