The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:13 pm 

Well, I've copied the whole story from the nevzorov forum, because it so much of typework, and I always seem to forget things, so I do it this way.

Well, I will try to introduce myself, excuse me for my poor English, I'll do my best.

My name is Katie, I'm 17 years old and my interest for horses started at my 14th.
Before that time, my interests go out to other stuff like dancing. I've never disliked horses, but at that time I never felt a real connection either.

I started to ride on a horse of a friend of my. An Arabian horse, but without a real arabian character. Later I realized she was just kind of a robot. After al those years standing alone, without other horses to play with. But after all it was the horse that got me interested into horses. And that's the place where my story starts.

I begged my mom and dad, even got my mom and sister riding to. And eventually, I was permitted to buy a horse.

I could tell you my whole first time with horses, very traditional with bit, without spurs! But I can summarise it for you. Yes I've abused the bit sometimes, when I was enabled to stop my horse, or when I just got frustrated. Although I was, most of the time, very "kind", as kind as possible with a bit.

One day my mom took me to a horsewhisperer-course, and that's where the story about me and Natural Horsemanships started.

*It's really hard to tell everything without get this story boring*

I have used different ways to find out what fits me the best. Tried Monty, but stopped that soon. Emiel Voest, not my thing either, and than got to Parelli, which I liked, and read Hempfling, I like him either. I liked the things I saw from Nevzorov from the beginning, but never know how to get their myself.

3 weeks ago, before I've heard from the Nevzorov School, I bought an 3-years old horse. He's called Walk on M, but we're calling him Midas. My idea was to first play with him, do some parelli-games etc. Then I just want to sit on him without anything, en just feel what happened. Start to encourage him to walk, with the signals I learn him on the ground. I know enough of the body of the horse. How it reacts, when it relaxes, how to get there. To turn on the motor, and to limit at the front, so they collect. Why do you need a bit and spurs for that?
Now that I have found the Nevzorov school, I'm glad to just have some help. An still can change my plan's if I walk the wrong road!

Well I just end this with some photo's.
If you have questions shoot!

First of all I'll show you my first horse Nero, who's still ours.

Willy, the horse of my instructor, he's sold unfortunately.

Then there's Dandy, he's ours too.

Ritanka, also ours.

Sjors, also ours, well.. he's my sister's horse.

And then, the one, I loved most of al.
Vip, he wasn't mine, but I've helped his owner a bit. I've never seen a horse with that much of fear of humans. And never seen a horse which, after lot of work and trust, could trust you some much. Unfortunately he wasn't mine, and was bought for trade.
To be honest, I always blame her for what she has done. Cause the last time I saw Vip, and she was telling how proud she was, I stood with there's in my eyes. If I had the money I've already bought him. And I still wish I could. For the one who have seen the movie spirit, Vip was like spirit, but without so much courage, and full of fear.
I really have thought, with what happened If I could buy him, I knew it should take years before I can ride, but I almost could saw the day, that I just could feel, that's the day I could get up hime. Like in a movie. Well, I should never know that. But the one thing I know, is that he completely pulls me out of the traditional way. And let me watch and think.

Some more pictures

My beautiful horses!

Dandy

Midas

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6676/midasea110pj0.jpg

Nero

Ritanka

Sjors

The one that's really not spoken about here much is Midas. At the time I wrote this al I've just buyed him. But know we have done some little things, no big things to type whole story's about, but just simple little. Piece by piece you come to no Midas better, because al those little story's I'm going to tell, are the story's that make Midas my big love.

That's why I called him Midas. In Greek myth Midas was a king of Phrygia in Asia Minor. He was granted a wish by the god Dionysos - that everything he touch be turned to gold. Including my heart :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Keet!!!

Very Very Very nice to see you also at this forum!!! :mrgreen: I'm very interested in the stories you are going to share about the horse wich turned you heart into gold... beautiful! And you other beautiful horses, wow, you are really blessed!

Warm regards

Bianca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:24 pm 

Beautiful introduction and beautiful photos!

Your description of Vip nearly made me cry. I cannot wait to meet Midas!

Quote:
Then I just want to sit on him without anything, en just feel what happened. Start to encourage him to walk, with the signals I learn him on the ground.

This is what I hope also for my new boy when the time comes. That riding him eventually will be nothing more than an extension of all that came before...without tack. Just him and me. And I think that we will just kind of fall into it when the time is right...no plan, no time table...no set goal. It will just happen when the time is right.

It will be fun to watch your progress with Midas and to hear more stories of your other beautiful horses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Keet,

Great to see you here too. And for you the same question; how did you find this forum? And here's me, thinking that we're well hidden... ;)

I still think your Sjors is great, I love the mischief shining in his eyes, I recognize it in my ponies too.

What are you doing with your herd at the moment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 am 
Site Admin

Ha ha !

Welcome Keetje :)

I think I know how she got here... :wink:
Everybody from the Equihof forum was invited since they all prooved, well, fantastic people!

Josepha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:11 pm 

Yes that's right Josepha, I came here thanks to your mail.

And at Miriam, what I do with the herd, beside the observation to learn.

My mom has a care-farm, she works with ex-psychiatric patients in combination with horses.
Completely against my way, just with bits, but not so much as in an manege.

I work there on monday, an let them ride with rope-hasters and play with the horses then.

Midas is the only one that is 100% mine, and I don't want him to get into that whole thing.
I play with him a bit sometime, I'll tell the rest about him later, parents are screaming that it's time to eat :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

enjoy your diner :)