The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Barbara wrote:
I notice that while his shoulder in and stepping under gets better, he understands the meaning of travers better too

The same here! Titum now offers the travers all by himself, too. With Pia we got it in a very funny way: I rewarded her for kicking, she wanted to do it over and over and when I was running next to her, she had to find a way of moving her hindquarters towards me - which resulted in a beautiful trot travers! :funny:

A big hug to you too and I am looking forward to seeing you next month! :kiss:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:09 am 

I found Jean Luc Cornille interesting in his quotes here from his website http://www.scienceofmotion.com/document ... sophy.html

Quote:
Gustave Steinbrecht observed that creating transversal rotation and shifting the horse’s shoulders toward the inside, lateral bending was induced. Through proper correlation between lateral bending and transversal rotation, Steinbrecht’s shoulder-fore optimally prepares the horse’s physique for the shoulder-in.

Steinbrecht did not write “The Gymnasium”. The German trainer gave his notes to his student Paul Splinzner, who wrote the book. Page after page after page, Steinbrecht described in his notes in great details each one of his actions as a rider as well as the many nuances observed with different horses. Steinbrecht noticed that better work was obtained with the shoulder-in when the horse’s body formed an angle of 30º with the rail. The horse was then traveling on three tracks. Missing completely the function, that is the proper correlation between lateral bending and transversal rotation, judging standards concentrated on the form alone, the horse’s body forming an angle of 30ºand traveling on three tracks.

A century earlier, François Robichon de la Gueriniere already warned against the false practice. “It is definitively much easier to turn to false practice than to achieve what is correct.” (Mr. de la Gueriniere, Ecole de Cavalerie,1733) The French author sensed the difference between proper and incorrect transversal rotation but did not have the support of the scientific knowledge to explain his sagacity. Monsieur de la Gueriniere’s shoulder-in demands effectively a proper correlation between lateral bending and transversal rotation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:04 pm 

I copy this part from my diary, because really improved the travers for me and Mucki:

I found a very helpful exercise, which helped us immensely in getting the hang of the travers. It's called "Schlängeln" in German and here is a video of it (with German description, but it's actually self-explaining...).
It's basically a series of shoulder-ins on a zig-zag line, while I am walking backwards myself on a (more or less) straight line. The most important part is the constant lifting of the shoulder, change of flexion and tilt of the pelvis. It makes the horse very supple and light and puts him basically in the right position for the travers, only makes it easier at first by keeping the zig-zag path.
Later, I just hint at the zig-zag movement - I ask for the bend and then for just forward movement and so get the travers. Whenever I start to lose the flexion in the neck, I ask for the diagonal/lateral movement again and Mucki falls into his well trained shoulder-in mode again with the correct flexion.

The horse owes us nothing.