It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:25 am 

Great!! That is very exciting!

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:17 pm 

I discovered that treats help to keep the interest of the not-so-interested horse. After a while, you don't even really have to reward with treats. But I noticed at first that my horse was just like, "Okay, you're running around. That's interesting... But I'd rather do whatever I want... And that is definitely not following you!" When he noticed that he would get treats for things I liked, he would follow and put a lot of effort!

What we did for this, the first and only time so far, was we went to the jumping arena at my barn. I started running, and Danny watched me for a while. Sometimes he would start following me, but he'd notice that when I ran away from him, I'd get almost too far away from him. It seems like he thought, "Well, I guess she doesn't want me to be by her." So then after a few seconds of effort, he'd walk his own way. I stopped and looked at him and he started to walk toward me. I said, "come here!" every time that happened. He got a treat for it every time. When he started to do that by voice command, I started walking, and sometimes jogging, backward. He would trot (and once or twice cantered) to me. I began to start walking and he would walk next to me. I started to jog and he would almost immediately do the same. I'd stop after a few strides and give him a treat.

We did this over jumps too. It was so cute! People who were watching kept asking the barn instructors, "Who's that horse? He's dancing!" The barn instructors were getting mad because here I am with a horse with nothing on playing around at liberty with his interest, when they typically cannot achieve the same results with a halter on.

Anyway, to make a long story short, Danny did wonderfully with the run to me and run with me. He hasn't really gotten the concept of run away from me. We tried it a few times. He was very confused the first two times or so. After a while, he'd start to do a turn and follow me. I guess we just have more work to do with this. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:26 pm 

peasNlove wrote:

You are having such fun. And what inspiration for the rest of us.

peasNlove wrote:
Anyway, to make a long story short, Danny did wonderfully with the run to me and run with me. He hasn't really gotten the concept of run away from me. We tried it a few times. He was very confused the first two times or so. After a while, he'd start to do a turn and follow me. I guess we just have more work to do with this. Any suggestions?

Shape "touch the target." Watch for slight increases, or even the suggestion of increases, in speed moving to the target.

Move the target further away once he's moving more quickly. At first it need only be a step or two away. Just a turn.

At some point, remove the target without knowing it's gone. Give the command and when he turns to go for it, click that turnaway and movement.

Obviously you can build from there.

Kurland talks about breaking things down into smaller increments to build toward the end behavior.

I'll bet others here can think of other ways as well.

Donald Redux

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:21 am 

Donald Redux wrote:
Shape "touch the target." Watch for slight increases, or even the suggestion of increases, in speed moving to the target.

Move the target further away once he's moving more quickly. At first it need only be a step or two away. Just a turn.

At some point, remove the target without knowing it's gone. Give the command and when he turns to go for it, click that turnaway and movement.

I'm not quite sure what you mean... I'm going to research a bit. Thanks for the help though! If only I knew what you were talking about :lol: Sorry, I'm ignorant and trying to learn!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:53 am 

peasNlove wrote:
Donald Redux wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean... I'm going to research a bit. Thanks for the help though! If only I knew what you were talking about :lol: Sorry, I'm ignorant and trying to learn!

Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh dear! I am so sorry.

I carelessly did NOT look at your profile to see how long you had been here. Please accept my begging of your pardon for this rudeness.

And yes, you'll want to do some research in the forums. Especially this very one. There are such good posts of information, vital information, plus ideas and concepts.

I presumed you knew clicker training when I didn't know.

Alexandra Kurland is the name to look up on the Web. She has a couple of books and many articles out on operant conditioning, by the reward, or positive reinforcement method, using the click to tell the horse that he has done the behavior expected of him.

Followed, of course, by a reward.

Donald Redux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:13 am 

Quote:
People who were watching kept asking the barn instructors, "Who's that horse? He's dancing!" The barn instructors were getting mad because here I am with a horse with nothing on playing around at liberty with his interest, when they typically cannot achieve the same results with a halter on.

I know what you mean our I think our agister thinks where crazy, and because me and my sis have really only just began this stuff she never seems to see it at the right moment :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:02 am 

I have a horse who is not very likely to play wild games with me but is willing to do almost anything for food. I think we will do this as a family to call her from one person to the next with each person rewarding her. We'll start with short distances and increase it gradually. This is another one that works great to teach dogs to come when called.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:43 pm 

Birgit wrote:
I have a horse who is not very likely to play wild games with me but is willing to do almost anything for food. I think we will do this as a family to call her from one person to the next with each person rewarding her. We'll start with short distances and increase it gradually. This is another one that works great to teach dogs to come when called.

Yes! I think they are sometimes called Round Robin Recalls!! Great idea! Another dog game that I like to play with my horses is 'Come and Get It'

I don't have anyone to help with RRR (or is brave enough!) so I practice recalls with several food pans, calling put the food in the pan, or in the winter just on the snow, then try and 'sneak' <G>? to the next one, as soon as you see them finish the food, call again, run, feed, etc. This really helped jack, my shut down QH to kick up his heels!! Here's a few clips of Tiger play and recall games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbocgFN8CV0

You'll notice that he is chasing after me before I get very far, but enthusiastic all the same!

And here's my favorite one playing Tiger and recall games in the woods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYlbfD6GilU

Love dog games with horses!!! Let us know if you think of any more!! Maybe we should start a topic for that??

Brenda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:19 pm 

Oh Brenda, those are beautiful. :f: :f: He looks so balanced and is so happy. I think I saw those once last week, but thanks for crossposting, it helps for people like me who are slow to look at everyone's diary, just too many of them.
Yes, round robin recall is what we call it too, it also works great for getting little kids tired. :D
I have a really long flagpole that I want to try instead of a lunging whip for chase the tiger. It should work really well for very large circles, that way I don't have to run all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:11 pm 

thanks Brenda for this video. I saw it many times when it was first posted and I'm glad I got to see it again.
It is the best I've ever seen :applause: :applause:
Is someone filming you or do you have your camera on a tripod? and how do you get Jack to stay behind while your walking on. I imagine I would have trouble keeping Corado (or Magik) behind while I'm walking forward, especially since there is no food available.
Joc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:21 pm 

Hi Brenda,

I love your videos! They make me smile soooo much. Your horses look like they are having so much fun.

Fiona

PS What is the music in the one of Jack in the woods. It's beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:51 pm 

horsefever wrote:
t
Is someone filming you or do you have your camera on a tripod? and how do you get Jack to stay behind while your walking on. I imagine I would have trouble keeping Corado (or Magik) behind while I'm walking forward, especially since there is no food available.
Joc

Thanks Jocelyn!

I have my tripod set up on the side of the trail. And I throw down a few handfuls of feed, so it takes them a minute or so to eat it in the snow <G>, and then, IF I'm paying attention, I'll call them as soon as I see them lift their head, or they look like they are done? After a few recalls, they get wise that there's a BIGGER pile where I'm going so tend to follow more quickly! If there is no snow and you don't want to put the feed in the dirt, you can use feed pans or buckets.

I have been playing this with both horses out on the snowy woods trails for exercise this winter!!! What a hoot! I have some video footage that I'll try to put up later!

In dog training, it's called the "Come and Get It' Game, where you toss a treat AWAY from you and then run the other way, call the dog, toss the treat, run away, etc. REALLY fun game to get good, fast recalls, and also used it for puppy games in agility!

And thanks Brigit and Fiona!! Glad you enjoy the videos!! More to come for sure!

Brenda

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jack04574

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:53 pm 

fiona wrote:
PS What is the music in the one of Jack in the woods. It's beautiful.

Hi Fiona,

The song is called "Out Of The Woods' by a VERY young group called Nickel Creek! Very talented kids for sure!

Brenda

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jack04574

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:22 am 
Site Admin

Birgit wrote:
I have a horse who is not very likely to play wild games with me but is willing to do almost anything for food.

You can also teach your horse to run with you, alongside you. Also good for a personal cardio training :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:27 am 
Site Admin

danee wrote:
The way NHE horses play reminds me of horses that are cooped up for a week and then suddenly alllowed out- let the rodeo begin. I used to have jumpers and boarded where turnout was a pain, only for one ohour a day, and political on who turned out when- well, it wasn't as important to me than- my horses always got hurt when turned out anyway (I wonder why :roll: ), so when they did go out once a month they acted like lunatics!!! Now my horses live out and they hardly ever run around or play.

It makes me wonder if AN horses get out a lot?

Well I think the question is if horses who are outside with other horses all day can be so energetic and 'rodeo' like while playing. I can say YES :yes: both Evita and Imperia get sooooo excited while playing and they are outside all day together.
:yeah:
view :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgI-zoSq ... annel_page