The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:24 pm 

I'm back home now, and settled in, everyone is happy to see me and the horses were as nice to me as Bianca's were :)

Of course the weekend was great, it was warm, or should I say hot, but Bianca took us 'suppen' ;) so we are now as cool as the filmstars... so we spend the warm afternoons in and on the water...

But the horses got their share, thanks to Romy who gets me over my first doubts whether to do or not to do something. But now that Unico is a big boy, 3 horses at the same time is sometimes a bit much, and so there is always a spare horse awaiting me! I loved playing with them all, I loved Evita who tried to do things calmly for me, because I am nowhere close as energetic as Bianca and I loved Imperia because she is so supple and so intelligent. But of course my hart was stolen by the innocent Unico with his beautiful eyes, I did not get to play with him often because the ladies would not allow him getting more attention than them, but he was so reactive and so willing to learn, he really was a joy. I also loved his way of carrying himself, of course Imperia is very supple and puts her hind legs under nicely but Unico just has that manly walk :) I hope I can spend some more time with him next year :) the weekend was again to short... we had to leave in a hurry...(or at least Romy did, so we all left)

Rereading this, I believe I loved all 3 horses the same :) and of course our grandma-horse Atreyu who took care of us all and made sure we stayed healty and safe from gnomes and too much heat.

And next year Romy I will try to be self-assured enough to go to the horses immediately and come and play with you all even on friday afternoon ;)

Maybe I should bring Beau... it would be very interesting to see him with some more other people... :) maybe maybe...

To all who were there... thank you for the nice conversations and the nice moments of peace and quiet big hugs to you all!

ps. on the way home we saw a whole herd of black long hair cows and a huge amount of konigs horses :) now we know where they are hiding ;)

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Thank you very much, Barbara, both for the interesting conversations and also for all the inspiration I got from watching you train with Impie. Please do bring Beau next time if Bianca says it's okay, this would be so interesting. First, I would love to see you two interact again, but also I would like to see how Beau reacts to other people's actions. As he seemed not to be very fond of my way of training back then when I was visiting you, I think I can learn a lot from this in terms of giving a horse more comfort.

Seeing Bianca play with Evita was a big inspiration again too, as always. These two bouncing balls are so happy together. Observing that once in a while helps me a lot to make my own training more fun for my horses too, which they really seem to appreciate. So Bianca, you get a big hug from Titum, Summy and Pia as well. :)

I also got the chance to practise a lot with the horses myself, mostly with Impie and Unico. With Impie I didn't do anything new in terms of exercises, but still I made a very new and special experience with her while I was trying to show Unico that he needn't be afraid of Impie and can still train with me when she is around. Impie was such an angel, and although she would have been more than happy to chase him off, she didn't do anything. Still Unico was afraid, so I had to focus on him completely - and my darling Impie went on autopilot, just doing her things next to me (for example sideways movements) and only informing me when it was time to reward. She has become such a grown-up young lady. :love:

Unico was a sweetheart, being very sensitive and stallion-like at the same time - what a fantastic mix, so much fun to be with! I was able to work on my bodylanguage with his help. What makes it a bit harder for me with him than with Impie is that often he doesn't give an instant reaction but just stands still and does nothing for a while. So I never know for sure whether my signal wasn't good or whether he is just standing there for his own reasons. But as I know that behaviour from Summy, I didn't just wait or ask until he does react, but simply walked on for a few steps, and after only a few moments he was joining me again most of the time. When we were playing a bit more wildly, he threw in some gorgeous trot and trot-shoulder-in and canter departs on the circle. I would have liked to make our games even more wild an playful, but then I always need to know for sure that the horse is reacting to my body language very well so that I can feel safe. So between all the bodylanguage-focused training and being joined by other horses and also doing non-horse things, we somehow didn't do it. Well, next time! :)

The SUPen was great indeed. However, for next year I wish that we can find a way to make sure the meeting is a bit more about horses, both in terms of the conversations and the activities. I don't mean that I want to train more with horses than I did this time because actually I did this for several hours, but I would also like to learn more from other people, or simply hear about their training, or watch them interact with the horses. Bianca and I have already generated some ideas for how we could make that happen, so I am looking forward to the next meeting.

Oh, and by the way, this is what we are doing to poor, innocent, young horses - making them drunk. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:29 pm 

Sounds like you all had such a great time :D.
Its really interesting hearing all your different perspectives of playing with the same group of horses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

strange... I posted a whole post via my tablet pc on Monday morning... guess something went wrong :(

Anyway... It was fabulous! learned a lot from watching Romy again, even though I was to warm myself to actively train with the horses except for 30 minutes before we had to go home.
I loved our walk through the beautiful country side and I hope next year, the weather is better so we will have more real time with the horses.

Thank you Bianca for making everything perfect again! I feel like I had a week's worth of holiday! I love Unicornico, he is pure magic! My type if ever there was one :)

And Barbara, I do not know what you are insecure about, your work with Imperia was amazing!

Big hug and thanks to you all!

Josepha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

and here is the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Xxu2Tp ... e=youtu.be

Hope you like it :)
:cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for making the video, Josepha. :kiss: I didn't even notice that you took so many pictures during our walk. Next year I will also bring my camera and then make training videos of everyone playing with the horses. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:40 am 

Thank you for the video Josepha! Looks like you all had a fun time again! Bianca's horses look great!

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Looks like we were out a week or something,doesn't it? 8)
You were doing your work with Impy, I was doing my work with Iphone :green:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:48 am 
Site Admin

There was some awesome work of Barbara and Impy and Romy and Evita, but I did not get that, alas... :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:10 pm 

hihi, it feels so relaxing seeing that film again... ahh soo nice :)

thanks for making the video...

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture