The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:53 pm 

Nasty mean man, going through divorce with boy's mother, sold the step son's beloved horse while boy and mom were away. Now he won't say where the horse is, who bought her, or how to find her.
http://www.bridleandbit.com/artman/publish/article_29612.shtml

They are trying to find his mare. He's had her since he was four years old, six years now.

My best friend Potlicker was sold on 3/20 by my stepdad while we were away on vacation
By
Mar 26, 2011, 15:56

Can you help us get our story out so we can find her and buy her back? He wont tell us where or who bought her. So my mom is placing ads in the local paper and posters in businesses. They are going through a divorce. I have totally taken care of her since I was 4yrs old and I have never complained. I am 10 yrs old now. None of us are sleeping much because we are so sad.

We are using facebook too if you want to look at it my name is BEN CROSBY and my mom is

LISA HINSON MCLAWS from Pima, AZ. ask to be our friend and you can see how alot of people are trying to help us.

Donald, Altea, and Bonnie Cupcake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 am 

That's a shocker and so heartbreaking for the poor kid. I do hope they find the horse and are able to buy it back.

My last mare that I bought was a similar story but the other way around. The mare belonged to the daughter and the mother had the good sense to hide the horse away on a friends property (suspecting that the father would sell the horse whilst they were away on holiday and going through a messy divorce). The horse had to be sold but the daughter needed the funds to go overseas and study.

I do think all of these situations could be solved by having a transfer of ownership paper similar to a deed on a house or registration on a car. Without this paper and owners details it would not be possible to complete the transaction. This would stop spouses, dodgy stable owners etc being able to sell horses in an underhand way.

What happens now when they find the boys horse and the new owner (who has bought it legally) doesn't want to sell or give it back? :sad:

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:41 pm 

The step-father, it could be argued in court, was not the legal owner of the horse. If he had adopted the boy (and the boy labeled him as step father not father or adoptive father) that wouldn't fly, but a step father under the law has no legal claim to a child unless some states claim otherwise. I doubt it.

The buyer, though possibly innocent, may have participated in an illegal sale transaction. He or she would be smart to return the horse to the boy and go after the step father for his money.

Under the law, if someone wished to press charges that buyer might find themselves in court.

What I hope is that more local awareness will result in the buyer coming forward - however, and this makes my heart hurt, hardly anyone in a rural setting is unaware of the poor market for horses, and where, if you don't care, a horse can be gotten rid of quickly - the auction yard. We know what that means.

From the look of the mare she wasn't bloodstock, just common, but of course not to the boy that loved her.

If she was taken to auction ...

Donald, Altea and Bonnie Cupcake