The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:10 pm 

I and Luisa, my wife, helped a kind, young German woman with her beloved mares, when she was in Italy. She learnt very fastly some basics about "different" equitation and "different" hooves care.... then, unluckily, she went back at home, in the area of München, and we can't help her any more.

Is perhaps some of you willing to help her friendly? She would need some more suggestions about barefoot trimming & barefoot trimmers. And obviously, about horse "different" training ... but she loves so deeply her two mares that a deep training effort is far from required.

If any of you is interested/wikking to be in touch with her, please send me a PM or a email, I'll tell you more about her detailed location.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Alex,

unfortunately we don't have many active members from Germany and as far as I know there is no one here who lives close to München. I live about 5 hours away (by car) and of course she is welcome here anytime, but it's too far for meeting on a regular basis.

Maybe you can give her the link to our forum and we can all help her via the internet?

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:25 pm 

Thanks Romy.

By now, she has no regular internet connection (nor she's so deep into internet tricks I presume). But we are in touch with her, so we can perhaps let she know about some suggestions and help by you.

Her present, worse trouble IMHO is a rather difficult hoof rehabilitation. This is some pictures of one of her front hooves, the "difficult one":

As you see: no concavity at all, white line stretching, heel contraction.... I'd like to know your opinion, I'd like to use a Ramey's "white line strategy" like approach and good boots with pads... but I'm too far from her.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:52 am 

Hello Alex,

The two pictures aren't really much to go on. Can you tell us more about this horse? Age, breed, health history?

That's a laminitic hoof in the pictures, that much is sure.

There is a common (world wide) metabolic problem of horses of certain breeds and conformations. My mare is one of those. A baroque body, heavy full musculature, with a tendency to fat and a very easy keeper. Andalusian. Most breeds that are effected in this same way descend from the Spanish horse. Horse's whose metabolism was thrifty from having evolved in the dryer harsher parts of the planet.

They have a difficulty with metabolising sugars and moving them into the cell as energy. Insulin is the problem - unused. Too much unused insulin. It's called, "Insulin Resistence," and the connectoin to colic (with founder and laminitis for the longer term) is becoming much more recognized.

I suspect, as I find more and more research, that it, IR, will be found to be the major cause of colic and laminitis over all other causes.

The concavity on the front of the hoof wall capsule (you can see it under the fingers of the hand holding the hoof up) is a dead give away as is the white line separation. Contracted heels though may be trim problem more than laminitis alone.

I think you are on the right track and should follow through. Likely this horse needs the weight taken off the toe (a rocker trim on the first third or quarter of the toe) with rounding of the toe back to the white line is often recommended. It puts more bearing on the sidewalls which, if done by a skilled trimmer, will begin to move pressure to the heels and open up the frog and heel.

That toe needs freeing. Do not let anyone recommend to her that this horse have special "corrective," shoes for this condition. That is the way to ruination for hooves in this shape.

The point of the rocker is to allow the hoof, as the stride is completed to "break over" sooner with less or no pressure at the toe. It's also imperative that without xrays "radiographs" to determine if the coffin bone is rotating downward into the sole one does NOT cut away sole.

Your idea of boots is the way to deal with tender sole - not to cut it away. One does NOT want the coffin bone tip to penetrate the sole.

Even with all this though, if the horse is IR (or Cushings with IR) all the trim in the world will not stop the progress of the rotation if it's going on. The only thing that will, I believe, is deit control. The removal of sugars and starches from the horses diet is required. No mean feat considering how we feed our horses. But it can be done, and cheaply if one spends some time searching for sources.

If you would like to, or when she has Internet access again, she would like to find the best resource I know of at present for this problem of IR and related laminitis and hoof care please join the list(s) you'll find on the web site:

http://www.ecirhorse.com/

The list called ECushings is where to start, but also one will want to subscribe to EChoof, and ECHorsekeeping eventually.

Insulin Resistance is only now becoming identified for what it is, and though there is adequate research still not enough information distributed even to the equine veterinary world.

ECushings is owned by a veterinarian that has made this her life's work apparently. I believe she lost a horse to it, a beloved one.

Best wishes and a good recovery for this horse that you care about.

Donald

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:23 am 

Thanks Donald, as you guess this is my opinion too about that hoof. This is why I'm looking for help to her; it's not a simple matter, IMO our friend and her mare need personal help and suggestions and follow up just where she lives.... this is why I was looking for some expert barefooter in Munchen area. The only alternative is, that our friend learns personally all what needed to manage and trim her mare by herself.... but it will difficult, since that case needs high level experience.

Can I give you more details, as needed, by MP, to respect anyone privacy?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:57 am 

Alex wrote:
Thanks Donald, as you guess this is my opinion too about that hoof. This is why I'm looking for help to her; it's not a simple matter, IMO our friend and her mare need personal help and suggestions and follow up just where she lives.... this is why I was looking for some expert barefooter in Munchen area. The only alternative is, that our friend learns personally all what needed to manage and trim her mare by herself.... but it will difficult, since that case needs high level experience.

Can I give you more details, as needed, by MP, to respect anyone privacy?

Certainly. Feel free to contact me privately through this forum.

I should have made more clear that the resource I linked to, ECushings, would be the place also to search for someone in her area. While there are not a great many European subscribers as yet, I think I do recall at least one in Germany.

Donald

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:54 am 

Munchen is to far for me too. I hope you will find someone.
I think the equine cushing were Dondald wrote about can help. There are lots and lots of people there. i have one IR pony too.
i know it now for several weeks and a big change in the feeding programm but i see some changing, lucky me still no laminites or founder yet. But i have to watch it very carefully.
The hoofs need good care only a few pics can not say everything, you have to watch the whole horse and his surrounding etc.
Keep us updated if you have found someone to help