The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:20 am 
Site Admin

Sarah, thanks for posting the link, great to get the opportunity of thinking about being right or wrong again. :)

For me personally it partly resonates with what I believe, because I can see how limiting it can be to feel the need to be right. On the other hand, I come from a very different background because what I have been taught in my life is that in most situations I don't make mistakes. I just do different things that have different and often unexpected outcomes, but wherever it gets me, I will be able to make something good out of it. But then this is easy to say for me, spoiled middle European girl who never had any real problems.

Sue, I know about the TEDx talks but have not watched as many of them as I watched from the main TED channel. Would be so wonderful if you could speak at a TEDx event, I think people would really appreciate to hear what you have to say (at least I know I would, very much! :)).

P.S.: Thank you so much for reminding me of the TEDx channel, I just went there and found a talk in Spanish with English subtitles. I have been planning to learn Spanish and my colleagues gave me a learning set with some CDs and exercise books for my birthday, but for some reason this form of learning bores me to death. Now I can learn it just like I learned Dutch, by watching videos in this language while reading English subtitles. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:35 pm 

i came today by this website

http://holistichorse.com/Table/Holistic-Horse-Radio/

They have some interviews with serveral kind of people in the horse business.
maybe nice to hear?? i did not have heard much of them...i hope i have some time tonight.
It started with some advertisements :sad: Then will come the interview(s)....

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:29 am 

Here's a quick one from Sir Ken Robinson, who I just adore:

http://www.genconnect.com/career/innova ... ine-video/

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:31 am 

Ooooh, Sue, I just belatedly saw you might speak at a TEDx!

Coooooooool!!!!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

My sister is working on organizing one at Penn State University (they've already done one, maybe two). Very, very cool.

xo
L.

Post subject: Creativity talk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 am 

I found this link in another forum, and it was so inspiring for me,
Maybe you'd like it too.

It's about creativity, the 'open' and 'closed' state, and, very important: humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShmtsLhkQg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:03 am 

Indeed, that's a very good one. We talked about it on the forum before, but I couldn't find out where anymore. Maybe it was in a diary.
Anyway - it's very interesting stuff. And funny by the way ;)

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Houyhnhnm wrote:
We talked about it on the forum before, but I couldn't find out where anymore. Maybe it was in a diary.

Yes, it was in Marina's and Zoe's diary.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

I got this from a colleague today and I thought it fits so well into what we are aiming at with the AND forum. These kind of thoughts are what keeps me believing in positive reinforcement, not only for horses but also for people - especially when I read how people on other horse fora complain that at AND we were not clear in telling people when they are on the wrong path with their horses (whatever that might be).

David Kelley: How to build your creative confidence :f:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to Kathy who reminded me that I wanted to post this: A talk about the way our posture affects not only how we feel about ourselves, but also how it changes our testosterone and cortisol levels. Very inspiring and highly relevant to horse training. :)

Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:52 am 

I am totally moved by this TED talk by Brené Brown about 'The power of vulnerability':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvmsMzlF7o

In my opinion it is so relevant to connecting to others - be it humans or animals...

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

So thrilled to have found this talk today: Barry Schwartz - Doing the Right Thing for the Right Reason

It is the very long and detailed version of something he has dealt with in other talks already, discussing why it can be problematic to try motivating people to do the right thing just by giving them some sort of incentive. He explains how this can make them conceive of the situation and their behaviour in terms of market pricing, and therefore take their focus away from other reasons they may have, such as their responsibility for others.

So if you happen to have two hours, enjoy! :)

Here is a similar talk by Dan Ariely, explaining how adding incentives changes social relationships