The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Donald Watson
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:50 pm 

- the founder of Veganism, gave a long interview in 2002 - he was 92 at the time. It's finally been transcribed and made available:

http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/med ... erview.pdf

It's a fascinating document, a real glimpse of the past and human-animal relations in the English countryside in the 1910's. I haven't finished it myself yet, but I thought others would like to get stuck in asap. The only proviso to further diffusion is that it should be relayed in its entirety.
How many animals must this man have saved!
Enjoy.

Rita

Post subject: Re: Donald Watson
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:22 am 

Thanks Rita, I read all of the pages, although publishing and which type and art to use may well make sensible points, I should have liked for Mr. Watson to have explained more about his understanding of raw foods and digestive health. Or perhaps the editor to have expanded the benefits to human health, as well as less animals being kept or fed in pasture for final use in the food chain. Perhaps also including the need to retain stock sized fields rather than the prairies for corn growing. Although tractor mechanisation is aimed at hedgeless, beetle-less borders and single owner or corporation owned, vast farms, since small farms are not viable in cereal production, (if at all in the UK these days.)

Certainly re-afforestation is required, yet the want of not using oil products for supermarket packaging, leads to thousands of acres of virgin forest in Madagascar, destroyed to grow plants for packaging.

The newer varieties of wheat for bread are higher yielding but roots function less well than 60 years ago, and less mineral content is included in flours today than in the past. Selenium and magnesium are frequently deficient in UK wheat, zinc may also need to be gained from other fruit and salad plants. Older varieties of crops were richer in nutrients. More people in the UK today live without a garden, since developers like to build apartments, rather than family homes with a vegetable plot. Fresh local produce commands a premium price, so the majority of people drive to the supermarket and buy vegetables which are picked before they are ready, shipped hundreds or thousands of miles, and which often lacks the vitamins they hope to benefit their families health by providing.
Africa has had many of it's countries hit by drought and yet the aid from foreign governments is aimed at changing millet to maize, which survives less well and fails more frequently. (Of course some of the big GM companies want money from the aid programme to provide seed and then finance stays in the country purporting to be giving. Or perhaps exchanged for valuable mineral extraction rights. Oh dear, my cynicism level is too high this evening.)

Still as many questions as answers, but I am very respectful of those who live without meat, fish, milk, wool, leather. It is to be aspired to.

My own hens are not eaten, when they die their little bodies are left under the hedge at the bottom of the field for the vixen to take in the night, and whilst they live, wander free-range, and lay, I enjoy the eggs from the nest boxes. In return they have corn, linseed, they like a little soaked sugar beet and anything else offered, as well as scratching for worms in the soil and turning the muck heap over and helping to compost it.

I am sure Mr. Watson has made big strides from his starting point, but as he observed, wars, mines, plutonium enriched bombs, humans are still such a long way from evolving into anything reflecting learning, thought, enlightenment.
Yet there is always a hope because those few obstinate outsiders, who do things differently, choose their own paths, find fulfillment in the everyday interactions and seem to have a life of FUN, enjoyment, and others want a little of that, and slowly take one or two steps in that direction.
Anyone who so dearly lives by their philosophy, who is true to their conscience and happy in their own skin, will have more likelihood of a satisfying and happy life.

Much food for thought, thank you for posting.
Susie xx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:43 pm 

PiePony wrote:
I should have liked for Mr. Watson to have explained more about his understanding of raw foods and digestive health

I think myself it's very important for people to stick to ethical points when talking of veganism: the basis is whether it's ethical or not to exploit animals, not so much whether it's convenient/"good" for humans to profit from such exploitation or not. Points about nutrition, if humans are natural omnivores, if food should be cooked or not and so on often degenerate into simple differences of opinion about what is most advantageous for humans and leave to one side what is really vital - i.e., are we acting well in exploiting animals? Veganism is a moral choice: as it happens, it's good for people, the planet and, of course, animals, but even if it leaves humans with some problems (and I have to say, I've found the whole process exceedingly easy, including eating out, with friends etc - even finding vegan footwear, which is supposed to be difficult) the point is that moral choices have to be made, and are made solely on the basis of the moral quality of one's acts.
PiePony wrote:
I am very respectful of those who live without meat, fish, milk, wool, leather. It is to be aspired to.
:blush: - it's really too easy to deserve much! About a million English vegans at the last count!
Glad you enjoyed the interview.
Rita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm 

I also really enjoyed reading this....what a remarkable man he was.
So ahead of his time in thinking and not just going with the flow and taking the easy route. I too take my hat off to him.

Whilst I do think in todays world, he would be seen by most as radical, if it makes one more person think about what we are doing, then his message lives on.
I cannot believe that there are over a million vegans in the U.K. alone.......amazing. Let's hope the market place changes because of it.

Anyway, thanks again for posting that, gave me an hour of quiet reflection on how my family and I could move just a tiny step closer.......

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon