The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: seaching pic of shire
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 pm 

Hi

i am searching for a good picture of a shire horse.
Only the head.
and without any bridles or what ever and a clear background, no disturbing obstacles etc.

I wanna use it for my website to make clear to all that bitless riding can be done from shetlander - shire horse.
I have looking in my archive but no shire horse picture which i can use for this case.
There lives no one nearby unfortunately :sad: otherwise i had go there with my camera.
Can someone help me??

A picture of a shetty i have ofcourse, my own one. Jee i have a lot of horse pics but no shires.
i have to make much more i suppose :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe ask Annie? Isn´t her Misty a Shire? :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:05 pm 

Yep....was going to say ask AnnieB but Romy got there before me. :D

Misty is all Shire and a really beautiful girl.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:06 pm 

Maybe these would help? This isn't my horse - but is in the field with Honey, and my daughter has taken a shine to him, hence the photos:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:19 am 

Last week, in spite of everything I have read by Dr. Deb Bennett on maturity of the horse... my baby boy Arthur, a pure bred Shire Horse, (his registered name is Brickell Pettiford Stephen), was hanging out by the gate with me. I was chatting to a friend and he was just having cuddles while we talked. Arthur parked himself by some lorry steps and I was giving him a scratch by his ears, bits that are not always readily accessible from my ground level.
Just as with Danny previously, the moment felt right, like a silent invitation. So I passed my mobile phone to my friend Nicky, to stop it squashing on Arthur when I leant over him.
Then I sat up and gave him a treat from my pocket.
I weigh 108lbs, not even 25% of his body weight, and although he was only 2 years old in April he had no objections, he even managed a back up to a vocal que. I only remained on his back for about a minute and then got off to give his muddy tummy a scratch.
I think I will probably sit on him like this once every 3 to 6 months if the moments present as right for us. Mostly because he has no constraints and need not fear my being higher. Although I promise not to ask any questions while his mental and physical growth are not yet ready.

From standing alongside him on the steps I leant over

Which hand would you like a treat from?

Golly, it is quite difficult to reach your mouth!

Huge grin of happiness for a precious first time on babies back.

Inge you just need a younger, better dressed model than scruffy old me on an unbacked 2 year old. xx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 am 

hi thanks . i have send you a mail.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

Gosh I can not believe that this is a foal :ieks:

I'll stick with my 'ponies' :green:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:14 pm 

can you imagine that mine can walk under him? without touching his belly :funny:
We have been once in county Kent somewere dont know which village. They breed shires and the realy big once
those from at least 2 m and more. And some of them were white....that was so huge. was totaly impressed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:23 pm 

I love shires, we have two shires at the stables. Worked with one of them when she was a two year old.
They're so gentle (though a little big which can be a problem when combining "I want to be pet" and "I'm already almost 1.80 high"), and are so easily attached to humans! And for life I suppose.
A wonder to work with and a real joy to ride. The only problem is that our riding arena and roundpen are to small. But also a lot of paths we can ride on are to small or trees are hanging to low :funny:

And find a fitting tack :ieks: A lot of things look so small on them :) Any sort of bridle of whatever you have made out of leather... it all seems so thin :D

Oke, I really should get on my holiday now... just wanted to check 'last time' :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:03 pm 

Arthur is only a little Shire Horse. (although a small Shire is still rather heavy).
I have had him gelded but he was on the Shire Horse Society's register as a notified colt and would have had the opportunity to go through the stallion gradings over a number of years.
He is the first foal from his Mum, Lilly. His Dad, Brickell John Little stands approx 17hh, not an 18.2hh or 19hh giant. Arthur has more developing to do will be more than enough horse for me. Even now I go under his tummy in the stable, rather than walk around.
It is strange that people who are not used to horses are happy to walk up to a Shire, and Shire Horses can gallop, buck, and when they want a fuss you do have to check where you are in relation to solid walls, because an enthusiastic reversing horse, wanting his tree trunk legs or bum scratched could unintentionally squash you.
I think Arthur is more like a very big puppy dog than a horse.
There is a horse named Silas who lives near us, he is a tall Clydesdale and makes Arthur look like a Shetland pony.
My new rope halter for my 2 year old has a 28 inch nose band, but the barefoot treeless saddle does fit him nicely, even though he was only modeling it because he was blocking my way investigating.

I think Misty is a much bigger horse. Shires, like Thoroughbreds come in all sizes -but Shires are variants of extra large. xx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:35 pm 

Wow, just saw the lovely pics of your shire......he's gorgeous :love:

Misty is probably taller, but I wish she was as solid as your boy......she still seems so lanky, a bit like a thoroughbred in a shire body, she moves like one too.

She is three now, and I have been leaning over her, not sat on her properly yet, your very brave, I just think it's such a long way to fall if they get twitchy, though knowing my chilled Misty, she'd be just fine.

I'd love more pics of your boy, shires are lovely aren't they.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:19 pm 

Yes, they are gorgeous! My daughter wants one! (Though I think one of the 'small' ones would be best ;) ) Did you guys get your's from one of the breeders? Where would be the best place to look if I wanted to find one for Sydni?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:52 pm 

Well these are advertised for sale currently, although I noted one Yorkshireman has listed the sire as Ainton Brittal Frank which should of course read as Hainton Brickell Frank, (Arthur's Grandsire on Dam's side.)
http://www.shire-horse.org.uk/for_sale.htm

This is the link to the stallions registered to stand as Shire Horse Society representatives in 2008
http://www.shire-horse.org.uk/documents ... in2008.pdf

Brickell John Little is Arthur's sire/Dad and I bought direct from Mr.Brickell at weaning, stud owners contacts are on the stallion list.

Shannan, all horses are addictive, but Shire horses are like big puppy dogs, likely to squash you wanting to be fussed, and so worth it. xx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:13 am 

AnnieB, post lots of Misty photo's, but really asking for pictures of my boys could open a flood, I have a least 8 photo albums of each of them. You can PM me to compare notes as most photos are on my PC but not on flickr until I pay more hosting fees, I have horse feed priorities.
I am not brave, I never sing nursery rhymes like "Humpty Dumpty" or "Rock a bye baby", and I get on if the horse is unfettered at head and hoof, and if I feel invited. Then I am calm and so is he. If it does not feel right then I have nothing to prove and no time constraint.
(It is only professional backing yards who must have a horse under saddle before the owner stops paying the livery fees.)
With no girth to react to, no one to pull on a rope and have him pull back or frighten himself, no saddle panel which might be cold and press on him, just a quick extra cuddle and a lesson in not being scared if I am higher than him for a change, he has little to fear and is free to walk to his friends, so I am not much of a threat and therefore not in danger of a reaction.
I won't sit on Arthur often as he has a lot of growing to do. He does not move like my Thoroughbreds did, but he can look impressive and really get his legs underneath.
Problem as with big babies, he then becomes comical if he forgets his balance, his bucks are huge, way above my head and sometimes he is spatially unaware because his body grows and he does not fit to turn around in places he could manage last year. Thank goodness he has learnt back up.
Still trying to find the weather and take the type of photo Inge requires, but usually I just get Arthur's nose or his ears because he fills a photo rapidly and comes to see what I'm doing. I'll sneak up on him soon. xx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:18 pm 

hmmm when i take a look on the sale list and watch the photos. "You see most of the horses dont have a tail.
poor horses. i still hate people who do that to a horse.
Our neighburs and people in the south of our country do the same by workinghorses :sad:
but i believe that it is forbidden now by law. but not accepted by the breeders