The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:25 pm 

Quote:
I didn't knew there were books about Narnia

Eek!!! Read the books!!!! They are some of the most beautiful literature ever written -- for kids or adults!

C.S. Lewis, the author, was an incredible scholar and a close friend of J.R.R. Tolkien -- together they really invented the idea of modern fantasy literature.

SOOOO much better than Disney movies!
:D

Hugs,
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:02 pm 

Leigh wrote:
Quote:
I didn't knew there were books about Narnia

Eek!!! Read the books!!!! They are some of the most beautiful literature ever written -- for kids or adults!

C.S. Lewis, the author, was an incredible scholar and a close friend of J.R.R. Tolkien -- together they really invented the idea of modern fantasy literature.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Oh my, you MUST read the books! They have changed my life, they are absolutely my favorite books. They'd be the series I'd take with me if I was stuck on a desert island alone. :D ;)

Actually, it's kind of funny, but usually when I read very good books I usually get sad when I get to the end because I don't want them to end. But there is something about the Chronicles of Narnia, that I never get sad when I'm done because I know they'll be even better the next time.

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:02 pm 

Leigh wrote:

Hugs,
Leigh

And I already thought the movies were great :D
Thank you for the tip. I am planning to collect some books to read when I sit in the field, when the weather gets better. (and to be close to the foal ;) )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Well... Lydia and our neighbour girl named Blacky after a goldfish. :rofl:
Our neighbour girl was a fan of the Black Beauty movie, so she called the two fish Blacky and Beauty. Then one day at the farm opposite of use one of the farmhands brought in a shetland pony that he needed to get rid of for a while because he was too much of a handfull at his home-pony-breeding-factory. :roll: Then not so long after that he also delivered a young mare that was taken home shortly after again, and as one of them was black and the other was chestnut, Lydia and her friend thought the choice made very easy: Blacky for the boy, Beauty for the girl (although I think that Blacky saw his name more as the short version of The Black Stallion 8) ).

I remember going to to see a shetlandpony that we wanted to buy for Blacky when was getting too lonely (the mare was taken away again and we had only him), seeing a little obese, almost square shetland pony in the pasture where the owner directed us to, and that I asked what he was called. When he said 'Sjors', I laughed so hard! It's such a funny name for a horse - I have never heard it before or since. In the Netherlands we've had a series of comic book characters for years, about two boys who were always getting into trouble and going on adventures: Sjors and Sjimmie. So Sjors was Sjors, and Blacky was Blacky, and the funny thing is that they are both the half of a pair: when you say Blacky first, people assume that Beauty will be the other, and when you say Sjors first, people expect that the other will be Sjimmie. They just are Blacky and Sjors, and I think that their names really fit them excellent.

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:07 pm 

i know a Sjimmie...shetty.... :D but the other (his friend) called Inni so no Sjors...so it could be possible :D
and yeah blacky the stallion he would like that :green: a title for your new book

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:30 pm 

Our pony is called Marlee which is Aboriginal for elder tree,
My friend decided the name Baby Jay for my horse before I bought him of her, I dont know why I shall have to ask her :) I used to think it was abit silly however it suits him perfectly :D as he doesn't have that much confidence, never fights or gets aggressive and is always so friendly :)
Though usually we only use his nick name BJ... isn't it funny how in most of cases you never end up using the exact/real name :green:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:02 pm 

:) I'll go in order of arrival...
My first mare (and boss of the walk) is Gum Gullee Star, she's an Australian Draught, and came with that name. We bred her to a Friesian and she had a filly, whom we named Tilly. Tilly because it's short for Matilda, which is well known in Oz (Waltzing Matilda) and because it means warrior woman, and the Friesians were war horses.
We then imported our stallion, whom at the time was known as Jack Biker Conners. We decided to change his name to Wimballan (our stud, a combination of my surname and my partners) Geordie. Geordie because when I was thinking of another name (my eldest son is Jack!), I liked Jordie, but when I looked it up, it was more Dutch, better suited to a Friesian than a Gypsy Cob! So I looked up alternative spellings, and found Geordie, which meant coming from Northern England, which is where he DID come from!
Geordie and Star produced their first foal, a colt, whom we named Corryong, as he is bay and white tobiano, and it is Aboriginal for 'striped bandicoot' (a small native mammal), and the name of a High Country town, in the area I grew up. The next year they had another colt on Xmas morning, whom we called Kiandra, which is a ghost town in the Snowy mountains (and the first place where people skied in Oz!) My father, a retired Botonist, used to work in a little caravan there during my childhood.
After we imported Geordie we bought a 7/8ths Percheron mare named Delta - we kept the name, and she had a filly to Geordie whom we named Anielka (AnYELLka) which is Polish for 'little angel'.
Adie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:50 pm 

Oh wonderfull, I had nothing to choose for the name, Ruphina was her name long before I met her (I suppose long before her owner met her).
In spanish it is supposed to mean 'red haired' or something.
But... the explanation I loved.
My teacher (when I was still studyng ancient latin and greek) heard about her name and he said: "wow you named your horse after Ruphinus, who does that?"
apparently it is a long forgotten roman philosopher, never really figured out his ideas, but I feel that Ruphina her thoughts and ideas are actually overshadowed by many others and therefor surpressed. Everybody is telling she is 'stupid' but all she is showing is some 'other form of intelligence'. She is a fast learner when you bring it correctly, but she can show you so much.
Maybe she has something to do with the ruphinus, should really try to figure it out.e
all I can find about him is that he translated greek to latin...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:20 am 

KDS wrote:
[...]

She is a fast learner when you bring it correctly, but she can show you so much.
Maybe she has something to do with the ruphinus, should really try to figure it out.e
all I can find about him is that he translated greek to latin...

The master I hold in my mind as the best was not only a quiet man, but one of the best horseman I've ever known. His habit was to be silent, and to make you work to draw out from him what you wanted to know. He would ask questions but not answer directly, only ask in such a way that you had to go out and try. You would then have the answer, or sometimes not, but you always learned.

A true sensei.

As might well be the case with Ruphina. There is knowledge, then there is wisdom. She may possess much of the latter. Knowledge is easy, wisdom an other matter entirely.

Donald
Nettlepatch Farm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:47 am 

Romy wrote:

Summy´s former name was Summertime 41. His owner called him Summertime because that´s when he was born, but I have no idea where he got the 41.
;)

Maybe Summy's former owners were fans of these guys??? (because if you shorten summertime 41 this is what you get ;) )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:09 am 
Site Admin

Celtictotem wrote:
Maybe Summy's former owners were fans of these guys??? (because if you shorten summertime 41 this is what you get ;) )

Hahaha, good idea, but his owner was an about 50-year-old Hungarian man and those guys don´t exactly look like he could have been a fan of them. 8)

But maybe one of the girls at his barn knew them and suggested to add the 41.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:54 pm 

Hehe...just found this thread. And consequently just learned something about my own horse...

Checkers, my pony - was nicknamed simply for being black and white like a checkerboard. Although at times we jokingly called her Chubby Checkers after the singer... ;) Her show name was "Check Me Out" which we could only assume came from the way she'd hold her tail out in the show ring, so it fell perfectly down in a shimmery dark molasses - black combination.

Diego...erg well he's a mixture of "We have no clue where that came from" and good 'ol American simplicity. His full registered name is Splatter Britches Diego. :roll: Yeahhh. His dad was named Splatter Britches for being a blanket Appaloosa. :funny: We still can't find where the Diego came from in his bloodlines. An odd fluke. I just found some info on it though... it's the Spanish version of James and Jacob. Meanings given:
He who supplants, God will protect, and Teacher (old Greek)

When we first got him we were going to change it. Our trainer suggested "Sandy" (Sand -iego... ;) get it? But we kept it. Apparently 2 owners back in his history they'd named him "Scarlett Minstrel" but the people who sold him to us did away with that very quickly, it reminded them too much of women's PMS. :funny:

So he has always gone by "Dee" or "Dee-Dee" with us. I used to have a pasture call for him when I was a kid "Dieeee go bah!" (Degobah.. from Star Wars).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:09 pm 

Morgan was given his name by the farmer that bred him. When I asked for info on him he gave me a scrap of paper with his date of birth and the name Morgan. :funny: His dam was Wit Lizzy and his sire Promise. I immediately liked his name and played with his parents names to come up with Morgan's Promise as his registered passport name.
His nickname is Migs.
I have no idea why the farmer choose the name Morgan.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:06 am 

Mother Altea, a Spanish horse by half and by nature and appearance, is named for a place on the Costa Blanca in Spain. This name came with her and is on her registration papers as half Andalusian, one quarter Arabian, and one quarter unknown. I'd say from a single picture I have of her mother that missing bit is very likely QH.

There are some interesting origins suggested in this Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altea

Bonnie, on the other hand, has a family name - Bonalaria from Bonalario, which is based on our animal family, passed and present Bo the Black Lab, Nala the cat (both of these sleep together very much as they did in life now here in our yard out in the horse paddock in a shady nook) and of course our Rio, Bo-nala-rio.

Bonalaria insisted on adding to her name, vain thing that she is, one day breathing it directly into my brain. She told me she was a "cupcake," and almost too cute for humans to understand, but they should try nonetheless.

Since she is very Spanish and looks more Andalusian as the months pass, it's only right her name should be Bonalaria Magdalena, Bonnie Cupcake.

Donald

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:18 pm 

If it were for his breeder my gelding would be called by his mother´s name: "Darinka". Which is a bit of a strange habit of the Austrian Lipizzaner breeds. His full name is actually "Favory Darinka-41". Since the first part of the name is the stallion line, a lot of horses would have the same name. So they call them by their second part, which is the mother´s name. So it is garantueed, that this name will appear only once a year.
Defying all this pretty tradition, I named him Nepomuk :D We chose the name because it´s an old Austrian name (actually it´s Czech). And of course because one can shorten it into nice nicknames: Mucki, Muck, Muck-Muck (spelled more like "Mook", if you wondered).

Volker.

The horse owes us nothing.