The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1015 Next
 Post subject: Re: Nepomuk in motion!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:09 am 

When I started with Mucki last summer, I used a lot of things as mounting blocks. We had a stationary one in the arena. I used barrels which I put up. And I used rocks, tree stumps and heaps of logs on our trails.
As Anna was already riding Lily at that time and was also practising mounting, so I guess Mucki already had the basic idea of what was going on and he found that quite interesting. Additionally, he already knew the hip target exercise to go sideways towards me and coming to my side when I point with my finger.
What also helped was using an upright barrel for mounting, as he could align with it from every side and would always stand perfect to mount. Also the smaller the mounting aid, the easier it was for him to close in beside it.

Ah, I forgot to ask, if you are using clicker training? Because of course I clickered him through the exercises and that way I had him always calm and expecting something fun.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:10 am 

Thnx Volker!
I think it's wonderful to get the same feeling of doing things together in every small thing you do. I already use the same basic principles for getting B out of the field, walking together etc. But somehow I forgot this part! She already learnt to be ridden and stuff, but come to think of it, you could say when mounting she gets a little back to the old days. She's not nervous or anything, just maybe a little closed off, if you know what I mean... I'd love to do every task according to the same ideas and philosophy... So, thanks for reminding, I'll go practice :f:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 am 

When I started to ride my own horse for the first time, I realised what a strange concept it is for horse to accept another animal on it's back. The only natural occurances are when mating, or in mock fights. Both can be seen as very intrusive acts. So it's no wonder that many horses have bad associations with mounting.
I had the privilege to start with a raw horse, otherwise a lot of counter conditioning may be necessary to turn mounting into an enjoyable act, I suppose. I'm sure though that you'll get there soon, seeing how you care about B's wellbeing :thumleft:.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:29 pm 

Here are a few moments from the last lessons with Oliver. Anna and I were doing groundwork with caveson and worked mostly on shoulder-in at walk and trot. Not very ANDy work, but it shows what we are doing right now:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:29 pm 

The cold temperatures give Mucki some extra energy. So why not put it to good use and try to get some weight on the hindquarters?
In the session before he offered me a rear for the first time, so I just went along with that...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:24 am 

I filmed a bit of Mucki playing boy games with a pasture friend. I love to watch him like that - playfully collecting himself when power is needed, or just when he wants to show off :).
Later, we did some trick stuff - bowing and lying down flat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:50 am 

Very very wonderful!!
So beautiful and powerful there Mucki!
Fantastic! Loved his canter sidepass type thing! And his laying down. So gentle!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:28 pm 

Awesome :D - mucki looks so proud and powerful :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 am 

Thank you Jessie and Marina! It's so nice to see Mucki showing off all the things we have worked on lately :D It tells me that I'm doing things with him that are helpful and beneficial.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:54 pm 

It has been snowing for days now and with temperatures well below 0°C it is here to stay and remains nicely soft and powdery. The horses love it naturally and as often as we can, we turn them out in the lower pastures, where they can run to their heart's content.
Especially Lily simply cannot get enough of running through the deep snow. She held back such a long time, because of her sore foot, but here in the snow she is the crazy, wild fur-ball like she was before. We just hope that this is not worsening her condition. But when she is galloping through the snow like that in her childish excitement, we just couldn't refuse it to her...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 pm 

I started to train Mucki as a pack horse. You know, if times get rough, he can earn his rent himself :funny:
He was in fact a bit distracted by something outside the arena, but he really put his back into it ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:55 pm 

And here's a little video from my work with Mucki today. We did some liberty work - mostly lunging.
It's interesting to see myself on video. Not too happy with myself though...
I really have to work on my position in relation to Mucki - I tend to get in front of him so easily. Also, I need to work on keeping the whip more steady - or fading it out completely. I'm sure it changes my body language significantly...

Last edited by Volker on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, that pack horse video is so totally cool! :clap: :clap: :clap: I so had to laugh when watching it. That's one of the things I love about your training - your and Mucki's ability to do something that is both utterly fun and very systematic at the same time. Just lovely! :) And I think that now I have a job for Nora, Nelly and Lena when they will be playing with my horses on Sunday. :green:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 pm 

Thanks Romy! I love to invent games with Mucki. And this one he always wanted to do himself. He always watched me closely when I carried those things, so I one day I rewarded him heavily for the courage to carry them himself. He was so proud! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:56 pm 

Ahh, this is Mucki...! What a nice boy you have :love:

I'm agree with Romy: Your video is really cool! He/You both ;) is/are so attentively and eager to please, great!

Please more about yourselfs! :f:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1015 Next