The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Littlefairy wrote:
Hi Glen,

I think that it is very nice job. Congratulation for the light trot near to you, and the direction with the stick.

About the jump, do you want him to jump or just to pass, because when he passed he touched almost all the time, don't you think it could be better do learn to him how to jump before?

It's not about Freckles jumping, it's about Freckles wanting to jump and experiment with a new exercise out if his free will.

The whole meaning of AND is to help the horse develop his mental and physical abilities in a way he chooses.

In other words, if Freckles would just choose to stand before the groundpoles and paw them, that would be allright as well. As an example :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:13 pm 

Scarlet, I like ELO a lot. I try to make everything I do with Freckles into something we both have fun with. Yeah, he is still a little clumsy to one side when he "forgets" to bend properly. :funny: :funny: :funny: Also, his body keeps changing as he is not yet full-grown :ieks: I had little idea that he was going to get this big. My long-suffering hubby was doing the camera-work for me. Freckles has followed me over jumps before - that's how I got him to do it the first few times. It was last year, I think. :funny:

Josepha, do you really think he's starting to play with collection? Really? 8) Cool. He is getting strong and "hard" now. It's such a pleasure to see. He's also starting to give a "correct" head-set sometimes when he's trotting.

Quote:
In other words, if Freckles would just choose to stand before the groundpoles and paw them, that would be allright as well.

:funny: :funny: :funny: I did have a halter on him that day - which is our cue for "do for I want, please." On days that he wears nothing (which is "do what Freckles wants") we often do end up spending an hour pawing at things. If he had his way we would skip the effort and go straight to the eating part ...

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Josepha, do you really think he's starting to play with collection? Really? Cool. He is getting strong and "hard" now. It's such a pleasure to see. He's also starting to give a "correct" head-set sometimes when he's trotting.

Yes, I see it the moment when he makes a transition from walk to trot. And that is precisely what the transitions (without interfering with the head) are for. :)
After he sets of in trot he tries to keep it but is not able enough. He will be within 4 tot 6 months, trst me! Especially because you are starting with canter departs now, that will add up his needed muscle mass for collection.

Quote:
I did have a halter on him that day - which is our cue for "do for I want, please." On days that he wears nothing (which is "do what Freckles wants") we often do end up spending an hour pawing at things. If he had his way we would skip the effort and go straight to the eating part ...

I once thought that would be the same with Owen. But when we just did his thing for a week or so because I was ill, he suddenly came on strong about the training part 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:19 pm 

:twisted: :clap: :D

I'm so happy you commented about this, Zephyr. I thought I was starting to see signs of collection, but I also thought it was just wishful thinking on my part ... :funny: :funny: :funny:

Quote:
when we just did his thing for a week or so because I was ill, he suddenly came on strong about the training part

I have, from time to time, simply followed Freckle's ideas for weeks at a time. I think the longest stretch was about 7 weeks. All that happened was that he got less and less interested in movement and more and more interested in ramener and jambette. :funny: So now I "allow" one session a week like that where I do not have any tack on him ;) and I have his halter or bridle on the other 5 days that we "work", and of course there's at least one day when he just gets lots of cuddles and treats with no questions.

:ieks: This makes me sound so organized. Yikes! No way! I mess up this "plan" as often as I follow it because of weather, my energy or emotion, his energy or emotion, the rest of my life, etc. :roll: :funny: :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Nope it's there, Like I said it would :) :funny:

Gosh, if I was just as 'organised' as you.... we never get any work doen trainingswise :roll: :funny:

Post subject: Laska is Fun!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:50 am 

So with Schatzi being on rest I was bored the other day and decided to play with Laska.

This is the result: http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv264/PG-Zac/?action=view&current=LaskaJumps.flv&newest=1

Please excuse the link being in Glen's hubby's photobucket.

She uploaded it on hers, it said it went through, but she couldn't find it. So she did it again. And again, it said it went through. Still couldn't find it. I looked and couldn't find it. Then this morning I remembered that I had used her computer not too long ago to put photos onto my photobucket, and they ended up in her Husbands photobucket as well :blonde: :blonde: We have no idea why this is happening, and we are logging into our own.

Either way, I hope you all enjoy this video.

It's very short so I hope those of you with slower connections (Donald ;) ) can see Laska and I playing. :cheers:

Post subject: Re: Laska is Fun!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:22 pm 

Gem, I can't get this to watch at all. It just doesn't seem to download. Can you try and load on youtube maybe?
I would love to see it! :D

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 am 

Hmmm, Try this

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:36 am 

It must be jinxed!!!
It now tells me "images and video continue whilst the site does maintanence" !!!!!

xoxoxox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:03 pm 

Aha, I finally could watch it (hope you to morgan)...

he is fun I must say :) nice short video :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

is that Laska :ieks:

I just do not recognise him! so proud, so big with self confidence, so beautiful and what movement! :love: The difference is amazing!!!!
He looks sooo happy and in love with the world and himself!

See, told you he would sort out if you just would give him time as soon as he came to live with you, Glen and AND further ha ha !:)
The side rein thingy the vet said would have only made things worse. So glad you did not try that :)

For those who did not know him before, when I met him he was a small, really difficult moving, fearful and sad little boy all cooked up in his own world.

Now he is brilliant, just brilliant! :cheers:

Great, amazing great job Glen!!!! :kiss: :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 pm 

:clap: :clap: :clap:

He is a very different boy now, isn't he? I think he seems to feel that he is worth something now. He still occasionally has times when his eyes glaze over and he is "not in his body" and he still is very stressy and prone to panic but his recovery time is equally fast. He has only displayed aggression once since I brought him home to this farm which is a really big deal to me. ;) He is still very nervous of strangers that carry "equipment" of any kind, but so sweet and friendly to strangers with empty hands. :twisted: He is also still very skeptical of anything new ...

He is very controlling of his environment - that includes the humans, horses, and everything else :funny: - but it is relatively benevolent. He just needs to make sure that everything is done in the way he believes is "proper" :funny: He tells everyone when it is time to do things - like get food, pick out feet, clean the barn, pick the poo, etc. It can be very funny. He is also totally determined to hear WHY before he agrees something may be done to/with him. He is totally, obsessively herd-bound.

Honestly? Play like this scares the crap out of me. :funny: He's so "wild" and he still does not have decent co-ordination. He has run over me more than once. It's great that Michele is here and enjoys this ... 8)

He's so pretty and the way he floats when he moves ... Sigh! ... I wanna ride him. I don't know if it will ever be possible. :roll: :love:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:14 pm 

Now I finally got to watch it!
Amazing and fab, what a pretty boy he has become, so proud and regal.
Well done to the two of you.....you must be soooo proud of yourselves. :applause:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:09 am 

I love playing with Laska, but I have to remember that just cause he did it yesterday doesn't mean he will today. As well as changing things up. I have changed the look of the jump a bit, adding a spread, making it higher.

I've never been tis close to a horse jumping before :ieks: :ieks: It's a bit intimidating, Especially as he does little bucks afterwards. LOL I try to stay out of the way. I hope I can keep it up :D

Post subject: Freckles 12May2010
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:05 am 

Michele was kind enough to operate the camera yesterday :clap: so there is some video of Freckles. I've made a lot of clips of approx. 1 minute long instead of one long movie because I have problems uploading long files at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYIzIAjpu3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgBI2-vxUzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npzf86WDKZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo_3Mu0QIik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULXLB8r6w9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYnTESTmf1Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q17UNLKIFiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXEfkk4Yiio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAfqggOOmA

Phew! They all loaded eventually.

Last edited by Glen Grobler on Thu May 13, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next