The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:22 am 

This is my horse when i bought him. He changed a lot since then, but at least, it can still your hunger a bit :)
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=fRaejJt4ukU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:25 am 

Oh yes! He's lovely. He seems to show a strong presence - is that so?

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:38 pm 

waw, how stunning. I am so jealous! I love friesians!!
stunning stunning stunning!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:25 pm 

Beautiful horse and great movements! But in this video its obvious that horse fears human.

Is this you (Pieter) who is riding with that horse?
http://nl.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=pdjonghe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Well obviously, this absolutely divine black stallion told Pieter he was not satisfied with the training so he send Pieter here :lol:

Like we all were send by our equine friends and masters :lol: 8)

I had too, or else Owen made me stand in the corner for an hour... :shock: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:57 am 

Well sayd, Josepha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:02 am 

I only can say you're right! :oops:
And i worked on it a lot! Groundwork 's one thing, giving him more time to supple is another one. And in fact, only putting a saddle and a cordeo on is even a better way! From time to time he takes advantage of it ... but i'm able to steer in walk, a little bit in trot, schoulder-in and leg-yielding works as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:02 pm 

.../ok, sorry I delete it/.

Last edited by HelenMai on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:47 pm 

I don't mind the comments on the other vids, I know why I'm here so ... Being ignorant is not so much of shame as being unwilling to learn, not? So,
1) be patient and comment on the vids I post
2) I'd be glad to know how many ppl did a kind of AND right from the start and NEVER EVER rode a horse in a "traditional" way. Those are the ones who really can comment on my other vids on youtube.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:14 pm 

Very well said.
I used to compete in jumping as well. Now I feel really bad thinking bad at that time, but I needed to learn a whole new way of being with horses. And I feel privileged that I saw the path and took that direction. A lot of people are still doing what they always do with their horses and we managed to break through that pattern.

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:39 am 

Pieter,

I watched the videos of you riding, and I think you're doing well. I can see that , the same as me, you are still learning to communicate with the horse nicely. Also, it looks to me as if your balance is a bit better than mine! Good job!

I learned to ride long ago, and rode non-traditional and traditional. Then I didn't ride for 20 years, so now I am starting again.

I agree that it is only a shame if people close themselves to something and refuse to see that there can be something better.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:38 pm 

Pieter,
I got my first horse almost 7 years ago, I had no horse experience or training. I think that this has helped as I view horses very differently than alot of horse trained people I know, they see horses as something they have to master, something which must totaly obey every task asked, but most of all the one thing I do notice about most conventionaly trained horse people is their absolute seriousness everytime they are in the company of a horse. They suddenly become as strict as a school mistress, which is so sad, as for the short period of time that I've gotten to know horses, this is the worst way to be with a horse, a horse wants to have fun, he wants to enjoy his time with his human companion, with all the seriousness I often wonder how some people can enjoy the horse they are riding at all.

I respect the horses feelings in any situation as I would another human or any other animal, unfortunatly this is again something often denied to the average ridden horse. I just want to have fun with my horses, and never take anything too seriously, they are so full of humour and they realy do thrive in a relationship based on trust and fun, the respect comes back to you automaticaly because you respected them.

I don't write this as a knock at anyone who has trained conventionaly with horses, but just as an insight to the thinkings of someone who understands nothing of this other horse world. I know I could write for ever on this subject alone, I think so many people are discovering the amazing relationship which can be struck between a human and a horse once you look outside the 'horses are just for riding' attitude which has dominated our lives with these wonderful animals for centuries.

By the way Pieter, your chap is stunning, I would love to see him introduced to some fun, he would just love it.

:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:24 pm 

I beleive I am of a middle school. I came from a conventional background and most of my immediate friends in the horse world still train conventionally. That means with bits. But they are not cruel and many are very sensitive to the feelings of their horses. So I do not condemn "traditional" carte blanche. I only disagree with specific individuals who are not kind to their horses.

I learn daily from what is considered traditional. I eagerly take all the clinics I can from my friend Paul who trains conventionally (and is my most readily available source for classical training and riding). Just as I would never dream of lecturing him on changing how he trains, he likewise will not try to change me either. It's a mutual respect that I appreciate very much.

I think what is most important (and the most imaginative) is to simply be open to another way of doing things, and take from it what you will. Some will only dabble, and others will embrace the whole concept. It matters not how far one takes it, only that they are open to seeing something different and examining it fairly. Use what suits you and your horses, leave the rest behind.

It is the openess that is important. Not the degree to which one changes how they do things. The school master is the horse itself, and will tell you if what you try is going to work for them or not.

So really, just to have one's eyes and heart open is all that matters. How much one emraces what AND has to offer will be extremely individual and dependent on so many variables of horse and human and environment and peer influence, that we can never say with any certainty (other than our personal experience) that one way is the only way. We can only ever say it about ourselves. Not about others.

Pieter, I adore Freisians. In the world of horses, they seem to me to be the oldest souls. Being the human caretaker of such a soul must be a reward in itself. Or perhaps a test? I'm not sure. But they are special creatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:05 pm 

pdjonghe wrote:
2) I'd be glad to know how many ppl did a kind of AND right from the start and NEVER EVER rode a horse in a "traditional" way. Those are the ones who really can comment on my other vids on youtube.[/b]

Hello!

That's a really good question and one that I ask myself often when I see videos of horses worked at liberty or ridden bridleless. I also ask myself what kinds of pressures are being used, and is it really as pretty as it lokkes?..i.e. is it really the horses choice??? I think that starting a green horse this way (AND, positive reinforcement, no pressure, etc.) is VERY different from rehabing a traditional horse. I have one of each.

I am just a beginner at AND but my draft mare Lucy has never been traditionally trained, and I clicker train EVERYTHING with VERY little pressure. So I will go as far as I can go!!!

I have done tons of groundwork, use targets a lot, and have just started riding. I used a bitless for a handful of rides last year before I found AND, then spent the winter playing and doing groundwork, especially using the Tiger to explore new ideas.

Right now I use a target stick and cordeo, and plan to use a bitless in the future, especially for riding outside.

Although we are beginners and just in the 'baby' stages of training, we have lots of videos to watch if you are interested.

Cheers!

Brenda