The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: [Info] Vitamins
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:15 am 
Site Admin

A year ago Evita was grumpy and seemed not to be in het element. Because she does not really need much food and is quickly itchy I gave her Subli Semit, wich are some sort of grains.
At some time I tried a complete vitaminpowder to see if this would help and she really changed, she became far less grumpy, happier, energetic and shiny!
So now I know even horses wich seem only to need grass or hay and vey little else can still need extra vitamins.

Last edited by Bianca on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Interesting, having a grumpy pony (Blacky) too...

But I'm a bit worried about overdosing minerals - because not only the overdose itself can harm, but some vitamins also block some minerals etc., and I'm afraid when I just put a supplement in Blacky's food, it can go wrong very easily ( also because he has sweet itch allergy (zomereczeem). Did you have a therapist recommend you specific vitamins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Miriam, have a bloodsample taken to see if he lacks magnesium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Evita's sweet itch became less with the vitamins and I also feed "kiezelderma". I have had no therapist over but bought it at the "paardendrogist". You can dose it into little spoons so can see what works with your horse. But I think indeed a blood sample and adjusted vitamins are always better. The strange thing also is that at the Subli Semit food its also stated a horse can become less grumpy, I think because there is no added "mess". ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

I am sure the added mess would make anyone grumpy.

Like thoses children who caus complete mayhem after eating anything with artificial coloring.

what do you feed Miriam, if I may ask?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

My ferrier said she knows about a horse with artrosis wich is suddenly doing soo much better with magnesium added to his dinner, she said "a totally different horse". Atreyu also gets magnesium a.o. now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

It helped Owen and Jamie a lot to.

We sell it a lot through webshop and shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:29 pm 

Seaweed is a good source of vitamins and minerals. It is completely balanced so might be good if you are worried about feeding artificial supplements or getting the balance wrong.

'Natural Horse Care' by Pat Coleby is a very interesting book. She is an advocate of seaweed; I know some people don't like feeding it but Zeno gets it and does very well on it. It's important not to feed too much of it though.

I also supplement with magnesium, British soils are very low in it and lack of it seems to cause 'footyness' in barefoot horses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:00 am 

Hello Everyone:

I don't really know where to post this but I believe this would be the best place.

I've been giving vegetable oil with hay pellets to Corado for the last year. This made him gain weight and is good for his fur. However, no one can tell me if I should stop giving him this oil after a certain period of time.
Since it's not really natural for the horse, I would assume we shouldn't give it to him 12 months a year But it did really made him gain weight and his fur is looking really good.

What do you all think. Anyone else giving vegetable oil to their horse. If so, how long??
Jocelyne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:32 am 

Hi Jocelyn.

I am pretty sure you will get different answers.

Horse can just digest very little oil because they don't have a gall bladder.

I know some experts are totally against pure oil in horse feed because they say it can't be digested.

But I knew a few as well they really have great success given it.
I give my horse Black Oil Sunflower Seeds or in short
BOSS.
I think it is one of the alternatives to straight oil.

As a side note, I would check If the weight loss before didn't have another underlying issue.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:59 am 

Also most oil unless virgin is rancid, may not look so but has very little goodness in it.

But you can feed coconut oil as it is very different, as long as it is virgin cold pressed, but you have to be careful of mycotoxins.

But I know that Coolstances copra feed is safe as I feed it although if you have high levels of iron in your area or your horse does it may cause problems, I have had no problems with it at all :D

Horses can digest the right sort of oil, but they do it via the liver and not all oils are digestable for them, but the more natural format the better. I just allow my horses to choose, if they like it they have it if they turn their noses up then they don't need it. BOSS are good to feed but you have to becareful of where you get them from as some are covered instuff for birds that causes problems to horses, birdcoat is one name. Also some horses can not tolerate BOSS either it depends on trial and error ass what suits one may not suit another.

You can get good virgin coconut oil at a good price in the USA but check it is virgin and taste it yourself to see if it is ok. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:59 pm 

Thanks both of you for your response.

I do agree that vegetable oil doesn't seem natural for the horse so I will stop giving it to him.

If he loses weight, I'll check to see why.

Thanks
Jocelyne