The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:20 am 

I've been taking a sort of human anatomy/sport medicine class at school, and I always find myself thinking of physiotherapy methods for horses instead!

I've been watching this guy's videos and his style of body work/massage seems like a very gentle way to encourage physical relaxation in the horse. So I thought I'd share!

Intro to the method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XutfM823 ... ideo_title
Listening to his principles, I started thinking they seem very similar to the principles of training here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmPvt43f ... ure=relate
And I thought this was a very nice exercise that most traditionally trained horses could really benefit from.... I would imagine rein tension sure creates huge problems for the TMJ.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 am 

I did a very similar clinic once, called "Stresspunkt-Massage". It's basically the same thing, with defined trigger points that mark the most common places of muscular tension. And then you apply a massage very similar to the one you can see in the videos.

It's in German, but in the second half you can see the trigger points for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02YW7im4_u8

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:45 pm 

it works by dogs too ;)
my course (did in past) is called accupressure basicly the same only a different name.
but those techniques are great.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. I've read a bit about acupressure, and I've actually had accupuncture a lot myself, for a few injuries. So thanks for pointing out that these are accupoints, I totally didn't realize it... :blush: I think I'll I'll let you know how it goes! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:28 pm 

he make a mix of several methods thats why he called it after himself ;) and make it a kind of unique or different then the other methods. If you watch his movies closely and listen good what he speak about you will reconise it.
And it works BTW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:07 am 

inge wrote:
he make a mix of several methods
Can you identify the original methods? I thought it was a mix of several things - as is the case with most so called 'methods', isn't it? ;)

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:57 pm 

hmmm interesting, english words and their tendency.
I suppose there is a difference between things and methode's. Maybe is technique a better word it this case??
Is there someone who can explain the difference for me? i like to hear it...who is still learning english :D

He explain it as a methode of bodywork that relays on the response of the horse to your touch. To release and find a release in the horse keyjunction ( i dont know if i am writing it well) which most effect the preformance.

he did first massage a horse and saw a reaction which gave him more attention at specific places. That are the trigger points which are used by accupressure, you will hear somewere in his videos the names as bladder meridian and so on.
Those are specific names which are used in that technique.

For example the bladder meridian is the great mediator, it transforms fluids through storage and excretion, Additionaly the bladder meridian has the unique facility of helping balance the entire meridian system.
It begins at a point at the inside corner of the horses eye and runs up and over the poll. it flows down the neck about 2-3 fingers widths from the base of the mane. It flows to the withers, splits into two branches and flows over the top of the scapula. the two branches follow lines parallel to the spine. The top channel runs 2-4 finger widths of the spine, the second branch runs 3-5 fingers lower. The channel flow down the back towards the tail and continue to flow down the hind leg.

You will see in several films that he use this meridan and use at specific places some pressure ( trigger points)
You will see also that he use some streching techniques and flow with his hand along some muscle places to massage that area. Which for exapmle being used by sport massage or fysiotherapy
Thats why i say he use several methods and make his own mix. This mix makes him unique. And i like it too because you can do more in one session. Or maybe in better words work more in balance of the total horse.

I think i miss some english words to describe it perfectly. :sad:
after such a session the body of the horse will work further on his own because the trigger poins are stimulated. And you will have more or longer result than only massage the muscles. It will work to in some cases, it is not wrong ofcourse, but different. Any kind of technique is good, but it depends on the horse if it will work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:05 am 

Hi,

I'm going to give this thread a BUMP to revive it. I got his NEW book and DVD, good deal if you get them together. I am only starting with my horse, but it is very easy to apply and I have seen him relax just from my bumbling attempts. I suggest it to anyone interested. He cares very much about "feel" and how beneficial doing bodywork can be for horse and human to get comfortable and trusting with each other. Many of us are familiar with that concept, I like that it is getting out there to a broader audience as well, and we can all do it even if we aren't experts.
Even if you don't get the book/DVD, subscribing to the newsletter is free, it has some good videos from his youtube channel.

http://mastersonmethod.com/

Lauren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:25 pm 

Nice! Sure sounds interesting, thnx for the 'bump up' Lauren!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:56 am 

The barn owner at my stable is a certified Masterson Method instructor. Sometimes she does clinics at the barn, and she even used Rose once for a demo. Her horses always look very relaxed and happy. I think that it's really good for the horses, and I'm trying to learn a bit myself!