The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: the emergency vet box.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:08 pm 

ok. after some of the brillaint ideas in my diary that people have shared with me, i think that we chould start a topic on vet supplies. they do not have to be from a vet, just any ideas of things that have worked for you.

we had a discussion on Vit C to be administered in the case of snake bite

Vit B complex to be goven in the case of weed poisoning

Bine had a brilliant idea of having charcoal for the treatment of poisoning from injesting something bad..... Bine could you re-post your recipe for treatment here, it is great.

also i will chuck a few ideas into the ring. i have used sanitary pads for good strong dressings, and i use disposable nappies as a dressing for the hock, as they are the perfect shape and have attaching tabs.

i also keep glad wrap (plastic lunch wrap) on hand with a little jar of vinegar and water so that i can apply a pultice to remove heat and swelling.

(50/50 mix water and vinegar, douse dressing and soak in hot and inflamed area, bandage then wrap in plastic. bandage over to give strength, then leave for an hour. works brilliantly)

i keep alot of veterinary drugs on hand too, as i have to with so many foals and elderly horses. but i would love to hear what you keep in your vet bag. i will go out and get mine later today and give youa full omprehensive list. but how handy to share.

also, my vet bag is a baby bag. it is big and has many compartments including a colds section for anything that needs to stay cold!!!

please everyone share anything that could help someone else in an emergency situation. sometimes even something simple could make a big difference and may not have been thought of by others.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:14 am 

hey Bine, i just put your post here, hope that is ok! :love: :love: i loved it :love:

Quote:
Hi Jessy,
Got a whole emergency box in my shed / feedroom.
It's got diapers in there (my nightmare in the diaper isle of the grocery store, which diaper amongst the millions available fits best on a horse's leg?!? ), vet wrap, bandages, cotton wraps, antibiotic ointment, thermometer, vaseline, stopwatch, iodine solution, sterile eye wash, caustic powder, duct tape, gauze pads, stretchy gauze, cotton balls, injectable Banamine, Vit. C powder, Bute powder, a steroid injection, wire cutters, ... and I guess I have to go through it again to see what else is in there.

Hugs,
Bine

Quote:
Hi Jessy,

Here's the "charcoal theory": you mix it with water to make it slurry, put it into a syringe and squirt it into the horse.
In real life? Hmmmmmm .... I can see a lot of problems ...
It'll take several syringes to get the correct dosage.
If it tastes bad there's another problem. Maybe mixing it with several jars of applesauce?!?!?
A bit of yoghurt?
I should probably do a "dry run" and just mix up a little bit, try to give it to both boys and see what happens so we know in case of an emergency.
Well, another thing on my list for today! Might as well include that in the play today!
I agree with Sue on the nutritional advice. Pat Coleby was definitely ahead of her times just recognizing the causes of certain problems and research over the past years has come up with some amazing findings. So much to learn ....
Hugs,
B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:19 am 

hey Annaliese, just thought that i would put your post here, as i think that it is a great idea, thanks!!!! :applause: :applause:

Quote:
As for nappies/diapers - another great use for them is as frog/sole poultice. They soak up lots of whatever you want it soaking in and you can just wrap it up on there for a horse who has trouble standing in a bucket or a dish.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:24 pm 

I also have sanitary pads in my vet kit as wound dressings! lol (value range...14p for 10!! Bargain!)

Vaseline of course and the thing I could never do without....sudocreme! It treats so many things! WOnderful stuff.

Then there are the usual things like stretchy bandages, scissors, big tweezers (big plastic ones, very handy) anti bac spray, purple spray, wound powder (I like to cover all my bases! lol)

Also keep duct tape in the car (for many varied uses) clean bottle of water, sponges, cotton wool, baby oil...the list is endless.

But this is why I can't carry passengers in my car...it is full of horsey stuff! lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:05 pm 

I also have needless syringes to wash and clean out wounds. Sponges don't always work well and spray bottles are to heavy and make too much noise. I also have a homeopathic kit for emergencies. Lots of single remedies for all kinds of ailments.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Silverlinde wondspray, miracle stuff, never without.

Bach Remedy drops

Traumeel drops

chamomille thee or dried herbs

sticky bandage rolls

isolation tape and clean dish washing towls...

A themometer

that would be it, I believe :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:12 pm 

Thanks Jessy for posting my comments! :D Now I can just sit back ... ;) :funny:

I also have a stethoscope in my first aid kit.
Drawing salve (Ichtammol).
3 small, clean towels packed up individually in plastic bags
Alcohol wipes
Hydrogen peroxide
FLASHLIGHT!!!!!
Latex gloves

(I had no idea I had all that stuff in there! I'm glad I checked!!!! :green: )

Tourniquet!
Wrap cutter
Popsickle sticks to spread the goo
Bandage scissors
Tweezers
Syringes with and w/o needles in various sizes
Dr. Kellon's First Aid Book (I can HIGHLY recommend this book, it's absolutely wonderful, I read it all the time just to keep current)

Not IN the First Aid Box but close by:
Epsom salts
Liniment
Electrolytes
Suncreen
Zinc ointment
Swat ointment (that's a fly repellant that can be put over a wound in HOT PINK or clear, I love pink then you can see how much / if it's still on!) :D
Scalpel w/ sterile blades

That's it, gotta go and put all the stuff back in the box. .... :green: