The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Teeth.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:16 pm 

Oh, good luck, Annie!

Sounds like you've got a great person to come and minister to your boy...

:cheers:

Tell him to be brave and not bite his nice dentist (I promise mine I won't bite him every time I see him...) and maybe he'll get a pony lollipop!

(Does anyone else remember this? Be good at the dentist and get candy? Talk about creating more business for yourself... :funny: :funny: :funny: )

:kiss:
Leigh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:04 pm 

Mustang wrote:
Hi Brenda,

I took a look at your link and realized that guy was trained by the same same school that taught Tom Howell( the man who Kristi and I used :applause: ) Small world isn't it?

Leah

Too funny! Love the internet, eh?

Brenda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 pm 

Annie,

So glad you noticed the abscess!!

And sounds like a good dentist you have coming out! Mine says the same, it takes as long as it takes, and he also doesn't like to sedate!

Hope it all works out for Storm!

Brenda

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jack04574

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:41 pm 

Just wanted to put some pictures up of Storm haveing a visit from the dentist, it went so well, I just couldn't believe it. Nicky the young lass who came out was amazing. She said to keep Storm in the field so he would be near Jason which made me so happy. Nicky has a real calmness about her, and realy has so much empathy for the horse. She said hello to Storm and stroked him, then slowly introduced him to the gag, this was the bit I was dreading, it looks like a medieval torture device!! And we didn't sedate him, which I was so pleased about.

She then slipped the head piece over his ears and then very gently put the gag in his mouth. We were both wondering how he would take to it as he has never ever been bitted, but he has always been fine about me putting my hand in his mouth. Well he never minded one bit, he was as calm as ever, Jason stood next to him enquireing what was going on, Nicky opened the ratchet a couple of clicks, then took it off, talked to him again, and then put it back on, and he was so cool about all of it, when she felt he was ready she started to rasp. He did walk backwards a bit at the begining, which Nicky said was realy important to allow him to move back if he wanted, and she just went with him, then he just chilled and stood while the whole thing was done.........I didn't even hold him, I'm sure he knew it was helping him.

Nicky got me to feel his teeth before rasping, and she showed me that he had got a bit sore on his cheek from the sharp teeth rubbing, and they did feel very sharp. She then got me to feel his teeth afterwards, it was a real eyeopener for me, I've never ventured that deep into my horses mouth before.

So thankyou Nicky, I know your not here, but you were so calm and so sweet, both Storm and I couldn't have asked for more

So here's the proof of my super chilled horse haveing his first rasp,

Nicky trying the gag on for the first time,

Nicky rasping, I wasn't even holding him!!

Me getting a feel of his finely rasped teeth.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:05 pm 

How wonderful!!

She sounds exactly like "my" horse-dentist... :)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:11 am 

Now I have a super horse dentist for my babies also. She was reading my post on this site and contacted me! I know, this is unheard of and yesterday my horses were done. They did need a little bit of sedation since in the past this was a very bad experience but this time so many little things could be done before it was time to keep them a little calmer. We don't want anybody getting hurt, do we. I was expecting them to be under the weather a bit but no such thing happened. Everybody is happy and content and eating and chewing like horses should chew. Just wonderful and what a delight this was. I can only recommend to get a good and caring person to do such an important job. I never realized myself how those little imbalances can turn into such a problem. Today was the first time in years that my horse Kavalier actually ate a dry hay cube without spitting it out and breaking it up with his incisors. He just ate it. And Mirabell does do chew like a human being any more. This all is very different and so positive. :applause: :applause: :cheers:
Nina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:10 pm 

It looks me good to go on here.

Ronjaar isn't doing well.
2,5 year ago the vet had to come the first time for his tooth.
There were hooks at his tooth.
From then he came eatch year around march, even this year.
But afther 3 months he show to have again problems whit his tooth.
So jesterday the vet came again...
The first time the vet came he told that his tooth are short...
And they are getting eatch time shorter...

I was asking if someone here has also to deal with this problem or has any idea...

CAN a horse life without tooth...

He is still young 25 years...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 am 

Our pony Marlee is 27 and her back teeth are wearing out as well - they turn into these smooth flat plates when they get old. She has also had a couple pulled out that were wobbly. So she can't really chew hay anymore so instead she gets chaff and special old pony pellets that are really soft and easy to chew. She seems to do really well on this :).

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:57 pm 

Oh my word....I am still in shock!
Last week I had the vet out who has always done my horses teeth and there has never been an issue. I struggled to get an appointment (she is the only equine vet for miles) and was very concerned as Morgan was really struggling to eat. He was chewing the food partially (hay and grass) and then dropping huge wads of half chewed balls out the side of his mouth. He was eating the hard food but half was ending up on the floor. His left side of his face was sore (he also had a closed eye not connected but from something piercing his eye, grain, hay stalk?).
She was due at 4.30, secretary called to say she would be there are 5.30, she arrived at 6.20. It was pitch black by 7pm. She took a look at him, tried to put a rasp in his mouth, sedated him, waited and then rasped inside his mouth. I was a little concerned she was not really looking in his mouth and only feeling around the edges between the teeth and the cheek. She confirmed he had an abcess on the one inside cheek and had taken to chewing the other side and that cheek also was sore. She checked the eye, gave me drops and cream and went on her way.
Yes he was eating better but was still quidding and still not 100% okay.
Today an equine dentist arrived. I asked him if my horses mouth should still be sore as a week had passed and he still seemed to be quidding. He didn't like that idea and said he would take a look. He put on the speculum and had a good look.
Morgan had a hole between two of his teeth (food getting stuck in there), a remaining wolf tooth (that should have been pulled) and then he reached back and found what he first thought was a fracture......no....it was a piece of wood. It was about 3 inches long and about an inch wide and was stuck across his palette wedged in place by his back upper teeth. I can't tell you the stench of that piece of rotting wood. He thinks it has probably been there for at least 3 weeks!!!!
He also said in 9 years of doing horses teeth he has never come across something like that.
Thank goodness he found it and removed it. No wonder Morgan has been feeling so bad and not himself.
The long tooth now rasped behind the gap should ensure the tooth next to it moves into place and fills the gap. The wolf tooth removed should mean no pain at all on that side (few days for the hole to close) and now the offending wedged piece of wood has been removed I can finally see his jaw and mouth moving as it should. How distressing that must have been. He had even worn the piece of wood smooth on one side trying to dislodge it with the top portion of his tongue.
Just an hour after the dentist left he ate his ration of hard feed without quidding and then tore into the grass like he hadn't eaten in weeks. :applause:
So the point of this post is make sure you take a proper look and feel inside your horses mouths as you never know what's going on in there. Morgan was still eating and swallowing throughout the number of weeks this must have been stuck there.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon