The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Lucy's Hooves...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:35 am 

Quote:
One is to do as Melanie suggests.. rasp right up the walls to remove all flare and make them straight.

Hi Melanie, just reread my post and found this.. Gratuitous use of the word "right"! :blush:

Sorry... didn't mean to say that you were doing anything extreme.. This is of course what many respected trimmers do, and what many trim teachers teach (including Jaime Jackson, whose method I first learnt). And of course, you are not trimming "right" up the wall.. just one third of the way, as is accepted.

I just wanted to make it clear to other readers who might be potentially considering this, that there can be problems with this method, EVEN when it's done as you posted in the first photo, mainly in the bottom third of the hoof, IF THE HOOVES wall is not strong and thick enough, so that they can use the tool wisely.

Quote:
Taking a flare down only from the sole side will still have prying forces from the sides as a hoof is used for turning/stopping.

I disagree with this. When I trim a hoof with flare, I make sure that the entire rim of wall is bevelled as neccessary to bring the hoof into line. If the diet and excercise is right, the horses I trim with this method very quickly grow out flare, and achieve straight bars and deeper soles, faster than when I used to trim the wall.. just what I have found from my experiments. :)

Cheers,
Sue

Post subject: Re: Lucy's Hooves...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:57 am 

Quote:
I can not tell you how many horses I see with flared, cracked, split, horrendous looking feet from neglect that trot happily over gravel driveways as they come in to get their first trim in a long time, and not all of them are walking on their soles. In many cases they are loading those damaged walls. I then am astounded at how many horses I see with owners and attentive farriers/trimmers who are diligently "working' those flares, that cannot take a sound step on even minimal rocks. Perhaps you have found something to ponder in this writing that will help remedy that situation for your horse. Certainly flares should be addressed, but be sure you know what you are seeing and address it appropriately. Everything that deviates is not necessarily a "flare."

I just reread the article.. it's been a few years since I last read it.. And came across this quote. And I remember.. THIS is what inspired me to my experiment on Footprint.. I was the attentive trimmer, diligently working on Footprint's flares.. and agonising over why I could never get her past that "just a litttle bit gimpy" stage.. Reading this reminded me of the way she was when she arrived at my place.. Great overgrown platters of feet, "flare" everywhere, splits and cracks..... just off her barefoot life on the hills... And gloriously sound!

Well.. I've never let her get back to that state (how could I hold my head up as a trimmer! :blush: :green: ) but with the changes to terrain and exercise and diet, I never needed to. I did have to let go of "perfect" though... Although she IS perfectly sound! :D

Would love to see some new photos Brenda! I"m really proud of you for taking the trimming into your own hands and succeeding at it!

Cheers!
SUe

I have not sought the horse of bits, bridles, saddles and shackles,

But the horse of the wind, the horse of freedom, the horse of the dream. [Robert Vavra]