The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Acorns
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:03 pm 

Hi,

My dear horse is very fond of eating acorns and leaves from the oak tree. But those things are very dangerous for horses to eat!
According to what I know, horses does only eat "dangerous" plants a.s.o. if they are in a critical lack of some special "remedy" that's in this particular plant.
But can anyone tell me, if there is some special "remedy" (vitamin, mineral or something) in acorns??

I have thought about contacting someone who has lots of knowledge about trees and plants, and what's "inside" them...

Thanks,
Emilie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:27 pm 

I would not let your horse eat a lot-they can kill a horse!! Fence the area ASAP!

Do you feed as much hay as the horses want? What type of hay are you feeding and what is your horses diet now?

Melanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:27 pm 

hi
my horse likes them to every year :-)
if you watch very carefull that he wont eat to much it is okay and not the green ones! The brown are better. They are a bit older :wink:
As long as they eat a few it is no harm

yes there is some stuff in which they could need but i forgot which one(s)
mine eat sweet chestnut also and likes them very much
i go search them during some walks i know eactly where the trees are standing and so we do some eat walks hihihi..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:59 pm 

Horse chestnuts are used in medicine, but they are processed to remove the poisonous substance. They contain Aescin, which is anti-inflammatory and has also some other effects.

Poisons even in small amounts usually do stress the body, so I would also try (as hooflady suggested) to keep the horses away from any such plants/fruits. Horses do eat all kinds of poisonous plants, if they get access, as even some grasses like Rye-grass can be poisonous.

Edit: well, just noticed I wrote about chestnuts and not acorns :oops: Acorns are just likewise poisonous, I believe no medical value, but lots of nutrition (high fat content).

Last edited by AndreaO on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 pm 

Thanks everyone.

At the place he lived a year ago, he had free access to acorns on the field, and started eating lots of them - and that's why I moved him to where he now lives. But it doesn't solve the problem, that there is something special he is lacking - since he does still search for acorns when we are in the forest.

He doesn't get much hay - because the other owner doesn't think it's needed. The horses walk around 15 hours daily on a field with very much grass!! The other hours they walk in another pasture with not so much grass, but though, there is plants and grass to eat.

Besides of this, he gets some food daily, with lots of vitamins and minerals and so on.

Inge - it would be nice if you suddenly remembered what special stuff that's in acorns!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:31 pm 

Emilie wrote:
But it doesn't solve the problem, that there is something special he is lacking - since he does still search for acorns when we are in the forest.

Hm, maybe he just likes the taste of those acorns. I do not believe it always indicates a lack, only because a horse does like to eat a plant that is not too healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:52 am 

Okay, I just thought so - since the horse knows pretty well what's dangerous to eat and not. I think I have read that acorns taste very bitter.... But maybe he just likes them :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:30 am 

I have heard that despite the fact that acorns are poisonous some horses can almost get addicted to them and will end up eating them like sweets. Most don't like the taste much but there are the odd horses who will eat and eat and stuff themselves silly if not restricted.

Quote:
OAK TREES - Quercus - Both the leaves and acorns of the tree are poisonous. Some horses/ponies may develop an appetite for acorns with serious consequences, however the comsuption of small amounts is probably harmless; but to be safe fence off any oak trees during the autumn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:15 am 

Emilie wrote:
Okay, I just thought so - since the horse knows pretty well what's dangerous to eat and not.

I do not believe anymore in that one :wink: For some stuff yes, they know what they need and what is bad for them, but not always.
Maybe it is that some of the plants are not from the original horse environment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:49 am 

Thanks for the answers! It's very useful! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:33 pm 

Our horses lived under oak trees for some years and never seemed to bother with acorns, despite my worries - does anyone know if there's a difference beteween, e.g., evergreen oaks (encina) and deciduous oaks when it comes to acorns?
Rita

Post subject: Re: Acorns
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:35 pm 

We have lots of Oak trees on my land so am inundated with acorns and leaves.

I thought that once the acorns had been on the ground for so long, they became less poisonous? Can't think how long though or may be thinking of something else, has been a long day :roll:

xxxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:43 pm 

Just found this online;

Quote:
Oak (Quercus Spp)

Poisoning by oak is usually seasonal, being most common in spring when the young buds or leaves are eaten and the autumn when the acorns are eaten. Oak leaves and acorns contain tannic acid which is poisonous to horses and though eating a small number of leaves or acorns is almost certainly harmless, they can also be addictive, and once a horse has acquired a taste for them they can actively search them out. Also some animals seem to be more suseptible to oak poisoning than others with individual animals having different levels of tolerance.
Oak poisoning causes gastroenteritis and kidney damage.
Symptoms include:

lack of appetite
staring coat
constipation followed by diarrhoea which may be bloodstained
abdominal pain
depression
blood in urine
There is no antidote. The horse is treated with drugs to reduce the pain and control the diarrhoea, antibiotics may be prescribed.
Prevention
In general it is best to restrict the access of horses to acorns, particularly if other food is scarce,or else pick up the fallen acorns at least once a day - although this method is time-consuming and less effective as most horses will still find some. The best thing to do is fence off oak trees - either permanently or with electric fencing.

xxxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 am 

I have just bought a book called "Wild Health" which explains a lot of why horses should not eat certain things and why they do eat plants etc which can be poisonous to them - I will see what I can find in there and post here for you.

In the meantime, remember also that some substances are not excreted when eaten by the horse, so a little this year becomes a little more next year when he eats more acorns and gradually builds up in the system until he suddenly gets kidney or liver failure after many years of 'just eating a few'.