The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:07 pm 

I debated starting this thread in the AND Lifestyle forum, then realized that in fact how we shelter our horses is a Horsecare and Health issue...so here it is to be.

One of the largest building projects I've taken on in some time, though my 7ft x 220ft chainlink fence around my garden was very strenuous work and took nearly a year and a half to fully complete. I acquired most of the materials for that from found sources, and dug the posts out of the ground to bring home.

You can see in the picture of the elk on the future building site why I have such a high strong fence around my garden.

The structure, for Altea, her stall, storage, and small paddock, will be made from modular panels I obtained at auction, though I'll have to purchase outright the material to build the shelter over and around it.

Five of the panels, probably weighing about 200 to 225lb each, have sliding overhead hung gates. Very safe and strong. And slide easily. Lock closed and open both.

Each panel, including the gate panels are the same measurement: about 9'9" long by 7' high. They have 8 sockets per panel, two at each end, on both sides, that a half inch bar drops into to lock them together into a stall unit.

The is the building site, though the trees you see will be gone, from about the big tree with the wall around it, back into the woods to the North, your left as you view this.

These are my plans. The panels will be set up inside this structure, except for the panels making up the small paddock.

The storage area will be a duplicate of her stall, even to the gravel base with stall matting over it. Then if I do decide on another horse, or decide to have and raise a foal it too will have it's own home. And we can build another structure for feed and tack storage.

Her 'Turnout' will be behind electrified fencing, moved occasionally to give her fresh ground in my woodlot to play in, or graze our lawns, our mini-meadows.

The entire area around the garden will be the turnout, in rotation. In good weather I may rent larger pasturage for her, hopefully not too far away.

But for this time of year, when the grass is too lush (she is a recovered victim of founder) I can control access much better right here at home with those portable fences.

I'll add to this as we progress. This weekend, hopefully, we'll see the trees come down that we need to drop for clearing. Many are trees that needed to come down as we are on old river bed soils and the trees can blow over fairly easily.

Two years ago I lost half a dozen and a neighbor's tree fell into my shop building, though not much damage was done. Other folks nearby lost whole houses. But no lives lost, thankfully.

Some that we are taking down, if they uprooted in the wind and rain and fell toward my house, could do major damage, and toward the garden wipe out a lot of my fence and garden labor.

We'll leave enough trees for shade and creating a more parklike landscape.

And doubtless we will paint those panels, at least the metal parts. I'm not fond of that color and would rather have brown or green to go with the forest.

Because of the predator problem here I'll be devising a night time stall barrier above the panels and attaching both to them and to the shelter. It will be an electrified screen (and no, Altea will not be able to reach it) that has a ground system to increase the impact of the jolt and beat the insulating qualities of frozen and snow covered ground.

The animal trying to get through the barrier will find that they must touch two points to get through, one hot, the other grounded.

Bears in particular, which we have too many of, can handle a lot of sting, but so too can coyotes and mountain lions.

And we have too many of those. All can climb, even the coyotes to a degree.

So Altea won't be out at night very much if at all.

Donald Redux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:33 am 

There is much fun and satisfaction in the planning and building stages, hey Donald? I think Altea is one lucky girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:05 am 

Kim Garsia wrote:
There is much fun and satisfaction in the planning and building stages, hey Donald? I think Altea is one lucky girl.

Being responsible should be expected.

As for Altea and luck -- well she's leaving all her friends behind, and her son. She's traveling from the high desert country of Southern Idaho to the chilly, wet, snowy, cloudy mountains of the Pacific Northwest.

Her home won't even be done and she'll be turned out with or alongside horses completely strange to her. No pal. Entirely different forage. Not even a familiar human to be with.

She'll need a lot of TLC I think. I might camp out next to her paddock just to make sure the other horses don't pick on her, and if they do, then I have to move her again, this time only 8 miles, to a small paddock with a horse neighbor. Ugh! And nothing to graze on because of the small size.

Got to get a move on with that shelter and paddock. <worry worry> <toil and trouble><worry worry> :wink:

Donald Redux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:45 am 

You have such a wild-life where you live!!! :shock:

And what a great project you have - so much fun (and work) on your old days... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am really impressed by you!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:31 am 

The planning part of things is always so exciting (and stressful) but it seems like you know exactly what you want to do which is great!!

I'm sure Altea will do just fine as I know you'll do your upmost to make sure of that....looking forward to hearing how everything goes in the future. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:44 pm 

Donald, being a person who loves to build things with free or found materials (it's artistic!), I can really appreciate all your planning and building plans. I'm so excited for you too! It's so odd to have to consider keeping a bear or a cougar out of your stable! :shock: But you do it so well! It looks like you have everything covered!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:49 pm 

Kirsti wrote:
You have such a wild-life where you live!!! :shock:

And what a great project you have - so much fun (and work) on your old days... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am really impressed by you!!!

Sometimes I even impress my own little self. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was much younger I expected at 73 to be sitting by the fire, reading a book, listening to classical music, sipping a brandy possibly, and occasionally stopping to update my will and make further plans for my funeral service.

Apparently I want to stay so busy I won't even notice when I die. Probably will take me three or four days to stop and lay down, don'tchaknow. Inertia. :wink:

More seriously. Yes, we do have such wild life. A mountain lion and her grown cub, who she doubtless was teaching to hunt, took down a fairly large mule just a mile from my place last year.

The owner shot one of them, and the next day the other came back and he had to shoot it, as it was stalking his mules again.

Lions are both timid and bold, according to their mood. You can go your whole life living here and not see one, yet another person may see them on a half dozen occasions, sometimes quite close.

My neighbor and his wife walked their pet goats and sheep up to the mailboxes at the corner. That is about 100 ft from my front door.

Sitting by it was what they thought was a large dog ... until it got up and started trotting toward the animals. A very large lion, but they were able to scare it off.

By that same mailbox (where a little girl waits alone for her school bus) I was cleaning out and repainting my own mail box on a quiet fall morning when a fairly large black bear walked out of the bushes just 50ft or so from me. Totally unconcerned when he saw me. In fact sat down for a few seconds to contemplate, and look back at me.

There is also what I think is a CoyDog, and cross between a coyote and a dog, probably a very large dog, running this neighborhood. He's bolder than most Coyotes I've seen before.

And on some cold winter nights I can hear a few of those Coyotes running the woodlands and meadows around us. They have a highpitched yammering sort of sound.

We don't leave our dog or cat out at night.

So I'll build a screen over Altea charged with electricity. The stall panels lock up very tight and nothing can get through. She will be safe at night there. Daytime I'll just have to keep my eye on her.

There's enough wild game for the predators around about that they don't often go for domestic animals, but it does happen rarely.

Fortunately the Elk, they run 900 to 1500 lbs, aren't aggressive. Just big and walk all over one's gardens. Afterwards it looks like someone plowed up the flowers.

Donald Redux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:32 pm 

Quote:
When I was much younger I expected at 73 to be sitting by the fire, reading a book, listening to classical music, sipping a brandy possibly, and occasionally stopping to update my will and make further plans for my funeral service.

Apparently I want to stay so busy I won't even notice when I die. Probably will take me three or four days to stop and lay down, don'tchaknow. Inertia.

You are an absolute hoot!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Best,
Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:41 pm 

hey Donald,

I was just wondering how Altea's home is coming along? Can't be long now before she arrives now can it?

Claire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:04 pm 

Celtictotem wrote:
hey Donald,

I was just wondering how Altea's home is coming along? Can't be long now before she arrives now can it?

Claire.

I'd post a pic or two but there isn't really anything to see except some cleared very rough ground.

Unfortunately there was a very large tree in the only sensible spot (drainage and slope issues) to place her home. Taking that out and backfilling left very rough ground. I'll be working on leveling it.

I have to wait for the mill owner to cut up some of my trees into the lumber to build her shelter.
I don't have a timeline on that as yet.

I've created a temporary paddock using electric rope and press-in plastic posts. She'll be right below our deck near our bedroom so I can hear her at night. And of course visit with her as needed.

If she needs horse company I have two alternatives were I can place her. One a five acre pasture with Dakota the Morgan gelding I am training, or alone in a small paddock next to a semi-retired mare she can visit with over the fence.

But since I'm outside so much of the day, and of course have so much to do nearby in the garden and her homesite she'll have me in vision much of the time. We'll just give her lots of attention.

And yes, we'll be seeing her soon, and bringing her here. I'll take videos and still pictures of our adventures along the way.

Thank you for asking.

Donald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Can't wait to see it completed and see Althea move in :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:16 pm 

Sounds like you've been doing (and still have to do) a lot of hard work.....but it'll be worth it in the end. :D

Can't wait for Altea to arrive....just don't forget the photos :wink:

Thanks for the update Donald. :)