The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Riding a pregnant mare
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:13 am 

Hi everybody.
Yesterday evening my horse was insiminated for the first time. It is not sure yet if it was succesfull, they will check it on saturday.
But now she stands in this stable and she must stay indoor all the time and it is such great weather right now. And my question if I may ride her, but just at easy, no difficult training or anything. Maybe a little walk on the road or something. But I don't know if this is bad for her or not.
She is a horse that gets stressed out easily (especially now she is around so many horses she doesn't know, so I won't ask to much of her anyway). But I just wonder if it could do any harm or something.
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:51 pm 

i do not know what to do..
by icelandic horses and shetty's do they it different..
as normal as possible..a group mares in the field and one stallion..and then wait for a few weeks and then take the mare back home..
The horse have a kind sort of holiday :) most people start riding again for the next months and still riding until the mare said no...

so i am sorry no advise..but i sould never let my horse stabled the whole day..stress or no stress...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:49 pm 

I know Inge, that is why I went today. But there is no other solution now. This is how it is still done in that world.
Insiminating and waiting for a good result.
I could let her in the field today, it was not much but it was something. I know it is no good but my horse spend years in a stable without getting out. I know this no good but she has got a better life now and I feel sorry for this period, I try to go as often (I went already everyday) never the less it is very far and those owners think I am crazy.

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:54 pm 

well, that is just the thing with insemination, my idea is that if you want to have a foal by insemination, than it is better to go all the way and keep her in her stable. I would have looked for a stallion that covers naturally, there still are warmbloods that cover naturally. But of course, if you want a specific stallion, then why not. It is too expensive to do it wrong! I hope she can go out soon! And taking her out for walks and things are great too! Indeed a lot of horses have to spend time in the stall.

It's no fun but... then next year we'll have pretty foalpictures here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 pm 

Keeping a horse stabled during this time can cause her stress level to rise effecting her ability to conceive. Remember horses are herd animals and feel safest with other horses, if a mare does not feel safe and content they will not have foals. Also lactic acid build up from standing around a stall for long periods will also effect your results. Horses NEED to move at least 20-50 miles per day to remain healthy. A stalled horse will moves around 3-8 miles per day. Did you tease her before hand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:54 am 

ok, this makes me feel really bad.
I'll go again today to let her out and walk with her.
I so know it is not good right now, but (sorry for saying this) aren't a lot of other cases? Mares that need to stay indoor for ever even when they are pregnant. Next week she will be able to run outdoors again, but some won't. There are so many horses there, high pregnant ones and ones with a recently borned foal. And I haven seen them spending any time outside in the whole week. That is terrible. I am not trying to talk the things I now good, I am just saying it could be worse, no?

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:04 pm 

it is terrible that horse have to live like that.
they be at the mercy of the humans and their stange thoughts about horse keeping :cry:

But you have made a dessision and have to deal with it..it is your choice i can not chance that..and i sould not do that :wink:

What i do..you do not have to do that.. :lol:
do not worry we do not judge you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:04 pm 

I do not want you to feel bad at all. I just wanted to add what I know about breeding/keeping a mare without movement. I have seen a lot of horses suffer from being kept inside for too long and mares in foal are the most common. Foals really do need constant movement to develop good hooves/bones/heart/lungs and it makes me cry to see so many babies locked inside a stall...and I dead the problems they will have once full grown.

I am glad that you are going out to walk your mare and I would encourage you to go as often as you can (as I am sure you already do).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:50 am 

Hi Hooflady
I went there yesterday to make a nice walk with her on hand. I think everyone there declares me crazy, but they don't see it like us.
But I will be very happy when she gets back 'home'. She isn't herself and I am worried about her. Not that she is in a life treattening position. But I think she has a hard time controlling herself, she is very impulsive lately and I think things will go better back at home.

I wish I knew your world