The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:50 pm 

Here is a link to an article by Spencer LaFlure on balancing the horse's mouth:
http://advancedwholehorse.com/Natural_B ... Mouth.html

A month ago I had one of his certified orthodontists work on all my horses' teeth - the results were incredible in that they balance the teeth and it frees up the lateral motion of the jaw and TMJ so that the horse is free to move it's body with more motion,more collected, plus being able to eat properly. I have been very impressed at the changes in my horses, and I will never allow anyone to use power tools in my horses' mouths again!

Spencer has an educational dvd that explains many things about balance in the teeth that affects the body - it's called "Natural Equine Orthodontics - What's the Point?" I don't know where you can purchase the dvd, or perhaps it's free if you contact him by e-mail. I happened to meet him and he gave me one. Great dvd on learning about teeth and how they affect the whole body!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:57 pm 

That is a really neat article. Do you know his website by any chance? It didn't say in the article. How did you find someone trained by him?

The more I read up on it, the less I like the power tools. And I know I don't want (or need) bit seats. So I'm trying to learn enough to find someone who does it the way I want.

If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:38 pm 

His web site is www.advancedwholehorse.com

I happened to know someone who had used Tommy Howell so I called him - his phone # is 765-401-6318. He travels several states: Indiana (where he lives), KY, TN, IL, Michigan, Georgia - pretty much anywhere but the farther he has to travel the more expensive it is. The cost for me was no more than what my vet would charge.

There is also Mike Frigale (sp???) who travels all around - I think he's based in Michigan. I believe if you contact Spencer they can give you a list of orthodontists and their phone numbers. Spencer will also travel to do your horses but he's more expensive. There are not a lot of them out there because Spencer only teaches 10 students per class and I think there are only 2 classes per year (and there are repeat students in those classes to learn advanced methods), and it takes a lot of hours to be certified. They want to make sure his people are fully qualified and not just someone who learns a few things and starts doing half ass work on horses' teeth. They are also trained in evaluating the whole horse - feet, muscles, etc - because they believe in treating the whole horse and recommending proper hoof care and body work if needed. They are extremely gentle and calming with the horses and rarely use sedation. I was shocked how calm my horses were - it's because they go slow and just do a little at a time, releasing the speculum every few minutes and using a variety of small hand tools made especially to fit in the horse's mouth. In most states, they cannot use sedation because only a licensed vet can administer, but the horse owner can administer the sedation or you can have your vet come out to sedate if you don't know how to do that. And they only believe in only using a small amount of sedation if any is required. I only had to lightly sedate 2 horses out of 12 and only because they kept holding their heads up too high - they like to do the work with the horse's head lowered so the jaw is in the proper position - they do much of the work on their knees.

Because they use special small hand tools, they are able to address the teeth needed rather than how indiscriminate power tools can grind away the wrong things and create the wrong angles. There are many horror stories out there where using power tools have permanently damaged the teeth.

I've heard there are many people in UK and Europe who want them to come over there but I don't know how those plans are progressing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:33 pm 

How cool, I live in Indiana. :D In fact, I know the area that phone number comes from, just short of 2 hrs. away from me. So I will have to give him a call. How far did he go for you?

If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:44 pm 

Great that you are in Indiana! He lives in the Crawfordsville area so he only had to drive an hour to my place. Last weekend he was in TN and then he stopped in KY to do a couple horses for a friend of mine and he's doing some more this week for another friend who lives near me. Tom is great, he gives you an entire educational seminar while he's working on your horse and doesn't mind a hundred questions. :D He will show you what to look for to do a simple evaluation of a horse's teeth (and body) and how to identify restricted movement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:49 pm 

Thats the area I figured he'd be around. I could even trailer to Crawfordsville fairly easily, if he wasn't around my area much (I'm dead-center in the middle of nowhere :wink: )

Thank you very much for posting about this! I have needed to find someone for awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:27 pm 

You're welcome! :D Glad to have helped and I think you will be very happy with the results - it's pretty amazing. It's such an advanced way of doing a horse's teeth and I'm so glad there are professionals out there now who are taking this to the next level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:48 pm 

Yes, thanks a lot for posting this crystalite! I was off researching for a while and have decided on using Mike Fragale, since he is certified by Spencer. Also, quite a few people in my area use him, so I should be able to get him to come to my place. I really liked the article you posted and I think that Mike will do a wonderful job.

Thanks again,
Brittany

www.royalhorsecompany.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:38 am 

Brittany - since I posted that info last, I had the opportunity to meet Mike at an equine bodyworks/therapy course - he evaluated a horse and gave a lecture regarding teeth. I liked him very much - he's very knowledgeable and is especially quiet and kind with horses - they seem to relax as soon as he touches them. He is fully certified and is also teaching balanced equine dentistry for a couple of schools. I can't wait to take a class with him. You are very lucky to have him work on your horses! :D

Susie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:59 am 

Glad to hear you liked him Suzie! I'll let you guys know how it goes when he works on my horses' teeth.

Brittany

www.royalhorsecompany.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:36 am 

And I still have no idea where to find anyone in Norway.-... :cry:

Last summer I had the horses teeth done by a veterinary. One who had special education on horsetooth and a very good reputation. So I thaught I was in safe hands....

But when I felt in the horses mouths I was pretty chocked - all the teeth was curved all too much!

And she did use, I guess what you call power-tools. Only they was electric mostly.

I would really like someone like this to do their teeth next time. Well - I do someone in Norway when I come to think of ot. Only very far away, and they don't drive around.... I will ask there if there are more doing this - closer to me..

Thank you for this thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:04 am 

I just wanted to let any know who were interested, we just had Tom Howell out to our barn to work on the horses. I was very impressed and he went on to do the horses of my wholistic vet and barefoot trimmer today. I think this is amazing to see the work they do, so much better then typical equine dentristy.
Also, he talked alot about how horses will nt be able to collect themselves properly if their TMJ joint is not balenced, so it plays a big part in my efforts to help teach Bo collection.
For those of you who are interested, Tom would love to travel internationally. I will be posting his email address soon, so if you are interested please contact him.

Leah