The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:50 pm 

I'm not sure if that's the best place for this topic (please move it if you want :-)) but I wanted to share my impression on understanding horses.

I guess it's easier to understand someone that is rather similar to us. It's easier to understand somebody's weaknesses or fears if you have them too. I think horses are similar to people in some ways and different in others (I know - it's very general ;-)). But maybe some people are more similar to horses? And maybe it makes understanding and communication easier?

I started to think about it after one of my riding lessons. I was asked to wear the "riding belt" - you put it on and snug tightly. It's meant to bring more awareness to your body where it lays, help to activate more consciously abdominal and back mussels etc. I understand it, I've seen it working perfectly well many times on different riders. But it didn't work for me. I was upset, anxious, couldn't stand having it on. I couldn't focus on anything - only to get rid of it. And it wasn't painful or even very uncomfortable. So, after 10 minutes (felt like ages!), I took it off. It was a relief but it still took me some time to calm down, ease my emotions.

I was thinking about my strange reaction. Riding teacher told me that I was the first person who reacted that way to the riding belt. But what was it? Claustrophobia? Wasn't it similar to way some horses react to girths? Not painful, not even very uncomfortable - but hard to stand.

Other example: the bit. And chewing gum. Maybe this is strange, I don't know. Sometimes I'm ok with chewing gum. Sometimes for long time. But sometimes comes the moment I feel I have to spit it out - immediately. Or I will suffocate :shock: Than I think about horses - maybe they feel something similar about bits? And the bits are attached to their had, no way to get rid of it, no meter how you feel about it, how emotional you get...

Or just the simple sweating because of emotions. I guess most of people felt that heat when you are really nervous, afraid of something etc. Awful feeling. And horses (in "normal world") experience that so often. Wet necks etc. - not because of physical work, but negative emotions...

So sometimes I think I'm one of those who are a bit more like horses. Not tolerating "bit", "girth", getting emotional (although I'm an introvert type) and feeling this heat on my back easily. I also get tired so easily when it's to crowded, to noisy. And I'm not that kind of person who hugs everybody ;-) I like people, but I don't need too much of physical contact. Is it my strength or my weakness? Well, I think feeling for horses is easier when you are more of their kind. One is less prone to force some things and more to understand that some states are very real and intensive.

Does it all make any sense to you? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:47 pm 

I'm a little bit like you too.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:06 am 

Your experience, will make us look at this differently. Just because one exercise worked for most horses, doesn't mean it will work for all. Your sensitivity will difinitely make you think twice before asking your horse to do something or except the actions...whatever that may be.

I have found working with so many different personalities, being horses and people, you have to be realing to change to adopt to them. What works for me, may not work for you.

I don't think I would feel comfortable in the belt. I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about, but it sounds uncomfortable. Dealing with the saddle, alone, has been a job for me. The saddle isn't anything like riding bareback and I can't imagine having something else on my body that is stiff would help me to become less stiff.

A very interesting experience.

April

April