The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:33 pm 

Part 8

It was a beautiful Monday. I took big long logs and piled them up to make a small jump. I set up a star figure on the circle. It’s where you take 4 ground poles and put them on the circle. The whole time, Jazz was watching me with interest. This is great to see. I’d say hello to him and then I’d get busy again. I did eventually make it to where Jazz was tied. He felt so different. He was calmer. But I still needed to be careful, I can still feel he was ready to stomp on you if you got out of line. What a horse, he’s becoming.

Jazz’s person told me about her experience with Jazz in the arena. She was sitting in the center and talking to him about her issues and also asking him to be patient with her. Jazz started faraway from her. He was grazing, but he was slowly spiraling in. When he reached her, he put his mouth on her and then went back to grazing and moved away from her. I asked her what she felt when he did that. She stated it was Peaceful. Jazz had taken some of his person’s fears when he touched her. And it showed, in today’s session.

Today, I took Jazz and walked ahead of him, but I did something amazing. I didn’t have an eye on him. I was walking forward and he was following. It wasn’t till I was half-way to the arena that I ended up having to watch him. His energy was coming up, again. Even though it didn’t last long, this was the very first time to have a really peaceful, safe feeling moment. His person is doing a good job of getting rid of her baggage.

I asked his person to send Jazz over the jump without her leading him. In other words, she was suppose to stand at the jump but point over the jump to allow him to continue by himself. This jump wasn’t very high. Jazz followed his person to the jump and by himself for the first time, he walked over the jump and then turned and faced his person. He touched her shoulder with his muzzle and then went for the grass. Praise praise praise. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. He was finding comfort in her instead of just the grass. WOW!!!! She sent him the other direction and then again back the same way and each time he’d turn and face her with ears not just forward, but ears also doing the splits. He has never looked or felt so quiet. The last time, she sent him over, he did something incredible when he faced her. He placed his nose on her shoulder and then out of nowhere, he licked the side of her face. He dropped his head to her chest and proceeded to yawn and then he went to the grass. WOW!!!!

After some time has passed, I took him to the circle. Jazz doesn’t like doing circles, so he became hard, but not difficult. WOW!!!! I lead him around the outside of the pole and then lead him to the next pole to go over the center of it, and then brought him to the inner of the circle. We did a full circle and he had softened by this time. I handed him over to his person and she took him over the poles but in the opposite direction. He sighed and he was relieved to see that we weren’t going to ask him to lunge or leave him out on the circle by himself.

When he finished his circle, we were done. One ear was forward and the other one back, and his eyes were the softest that we have ever seen him. I can still see the anger and he’s ready to protect himself, but the walls are coming down.

I couldn’t have asked for a better Monday.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:59 am 

:wink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:31 am 

Part 9

Two weeks ago, I saw Jazz. Instead of working him on line, I just flipped the lead rope around his neck. This made him very insecure and the anger came out. I held onto his halter, which actually helped him to look at me and feel safe again. When he relaxed a tiny bit, then I held on to the lead rope.

We came to a small jump and I pointed and he went over. I just held onto one of the ends of the rope and I basically pulled it off of him as he passed me and he continued to go straight. Something helping...instead of continuing walking away, he stopped and just stood still. He didn't understand. This confused him. Usually this is when he would start to eat grass, but he didn't.

I ended up walking to him and reassured him that he was alright and that he was correct with his choice. If he had continued walking away from me, that too would've been correct. There is no wrong answer. I again, placed the lead rope around his neck. He was still confused but not angry. I asked him to go over the jump and I didn't the same way as I did the first time. He walked away, but again not far. I petted him and that was where I ended it.

I gave him a week off. This was really a smart move. I saw him Tuesday, and he felt different, calmer and quieter. His held still high, but a much better feeling.

This time I attached the lead rope to him. I had it very loose in my hand. I pointed for him to go over the jump. His ears went back and I saw the anger. I place my hand on his lips and very softly I had him back. I only asked for a couple steps. I relaxed and told him good-boy. I always say good-boy when he does something right.

I then pointed to the right, and he came forward. He didn't really go right, but that's okay. He came forward with a soft mind. I pointed to the right again, and he took a shift. This is cool. I relaxed and waited. When I felt the time was right, I pointed again, and he went over the jump at a walk. Then he got hard and I backed him up. He’s getting it, that it’s okay to be mad as long as it’s away from me. This is huge. Then he did something that he has never done and that was not seeing me. He tried looking over me or through me or turn his head so he couldn’t see me at all. He’s looking for another way to express his opinion. This is so great, not exactly what I had in mind, but I’ll take it.

The last time, I asked him to go to the left, I tried to stop him with just my hip. This made him angry. I quickly fixed myself and I told him that it was okay. This is where we stopped. It was a good place.

I received fantastic news. Yesterday, the horses had to be moved. Jazz was laying down and the owner’s friend who has been working with him before I came along, walked up to Jazz with his halter and lead rope. Jazz didn’t attempt to stand up. He just laid there. She was able to put his halter on him. He was so quiet and calm. She told him that he was being moved up closer to the house. He very quietly stood-up. He did this all on his own, no pulling. The owner sat in the back of the truck and she held Hanna, Cricket, and Jazz.

Last year, they did this and Jazz got loose. He was bucking, kicking, and racing around the neighborhood. Jazz was very difficult to catch. On this day, he again got loose, but he just stopped and stepped on his rope. He ended up getting loose twice and both times he was standing on his rope. He waited for someone to come and get him.

What a change.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:50 am 

Part 10

Last week, Jazz didn't want to be with me, but wanted to be with me. He was confused and testing whether or not I would respect his opinion. So, I didn't do anything with Jazz.

I did work with Hanna and Cricket. We did turn on the haunches and turn on the forehand. With Hanna, I just asked for one step in each direction. She's very heavy and slow and her eyes tend to glaze over me. When I asked for the hindquarters to move over, I had to bring her head around so she can see what I was asking for. She tends to get flustered and starts assuming and just moves wherever. I needed her to really look at me and then look where I was focused on, so she wouldn't confuse herself. I just asked for one step in both directions. Hanna is 2 years old and Cricket is a yearling. So, were taking it slow and quiet for both of them.

Cricket is pushy and Hanna thinks she should be a lap dog.

I did ask for a couple of steps in both directions with Cricket. She's softer and was able to catch on quicker than Hanna. I stopped after that.

During this session, I can see that Jazz wanted to but then he'd change his mind. This was where I left it.

Now a week has gone by and today, he was in my face. He wanted to do something with me. Cricket met us at the gate. And then Hanna was in our space. I took Hanna, and I did turn on the forehand and haunches. She's getting it, but it's still only one step in all directions. They are both doing much better about learning where our space is.

During this time with Hanna, Jazz kept poking his head in to see if it was his turn. I had to kept telling him that his turn was coming, but it's still Hanna's time. He'd give me his butt to scratch and I just pushed it away, very softly. He even tried running his rump into Hanna, in hopes. This is not like Jazz at all. Here he is just begging to be part of the game. This was so fantastic.

Then came his time, he gave me his butt to scratch, of course. It just so happened that his head was with his person, so I asked his person to grab his halter and hold him for me. If I didn't do that, I wasn't going to be able to get to his head, because he would just keep positioning his rump in my face. I didn't want his rump. Seemed unfair, but I needed to get some junk out of him today.

Oh, by the way, I forgot, Hanna had a spot on her neck that she was holding for her person, just in case she would want it back, her person not Hanna. Of course this was negative energy, that she was hiding. I placed my hand on it and proceeded to ask her to let it go. It looked like I was massaging it out, but it wasn't that kind of massage. She finally gave it too me, and she became quieter. There was a difinite change in her.

Back to Jazz... I massaged the top of his pole and his face. His ears weren't back, but his tail was swishing. He had junk to give me, but he wasn't sure if he wanted me to grab it from him.

Before, I knew it, I had my hand over his neck and massaging the other side. Jazz's tail just kept on swishing. This swishing was a different feel. I knew I needed to keep going and encourage him to hand over his anxieties.

I took my hand and with one swipe, I ran it down his neck, from the top of his pole down to the base of his neck. I did this twice, and then I kept my hand at the base. I breathed and he sighed and my hand started to quiver. Not a strong quiver, but it was there. He was releasing it to me.

I then switched to the other side. Again, I ran my hand down his neck and stopped at the base. I did this 2 more times, and then he sighed and was releasing. I called his person over. She couldn't see the quiver in my hand or arm and so I asked her to touch me. She couldn't believe it. My other side was completely relaxed, but my left side was quivering and then my leg started to quiver. It ran all the way down to my toes. It felt like I was siphoning his anxieties, right out of his body. After a little time had passed, Jazz started nibbling my hand and then his head dropped. He sighed... My body stopped quivering and Hanna and Cricket quickly joined us.

Jazz, once again has changed. His eyes were the softest that I have seen them yet. I told him, he was a good boy and I just kept petting his head and neck without a second thought. This was trully a transformation. Since, I have started him, I have always been at his head and here I was petting his neck and not even thinking about it. It was so fluid and it felt so natural for him and for me.

The horses went back to eating and I was talking to his person. I brought up, Hanna, and how important it was for me to get rid of that negative energy. I told her person, that she needed to go to her and tell her that she can have her happy smile. The moment I said that, Hanna came dashing over at a walk, but it was dashing, to grab the Happy smile. It was funny, but she was so happy to hold onto that for her person. This was and is a very important job. Hanna has a responsibility and she loves it.

Jazz did come back over and placed his head between his person and his person's friend's heads. I couldn't believe how soft he was. He then gave me his butt, but I told him not right now, and pushed him softly. There was no anger. He took a couple of steps forward and then stopped. He was hoping I would call him back. This was a first. I told him good boy and then he proceeded to eat grass. He showed no anger. What a change. This was the first day, that I have pushed him out of the way and the first to see no anger.

What a horse he is becoming.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:23 pm 

Are there any updates April?

www.bitlesshorse.co.uk
www.neemtreehorse.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:48 pm 

It's really strange, but driving to work this morning, suddenly April's name came into my mind and wondered the same thing....How are you doing April? And how is Jazz and his human?

Hope all is well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:08 am 

We are all on the same wavelength. lol I'm so sorry that I haven't been on. I've been quite busy, but I have been writing down Jazz's journey. I also have a video that I need to put together. So if everyone would email me and tell me to get on the ball, that should help. lol :)

Jazz is starting to show a baby face and for the first time, he's taking confident steps forward out on the circle. His owner has released a lot of her own fears, and anxieties and it really is showing through Jazz.

Last month Jazz hurt his hind leg. We needed to put ointment on it and he was super!!! I can't believe how much he is changing. Oh and he is wiggling is top lip at me. He's still holding back, but he's shining.

I will give you more...later...

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:51 am 

Yay! Nice to hear from you April!!! I really am looking forward to hearing more from you...not just about Jazz, but about you too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:43 pm 

April I am reading through all of this and I'm feeling like I almost know Jazz personaly, he sounds wonderful, and how lucky he is to have you to help him through his issues.
I too have had quite a few experiences with horse communication. I was wondering if I could tell you of one case that still haunts me now, I'm affraid it's not a happy story, but I would like to share it as it never leaves me.
When my older horse was a baby his bond mate who was very old injured his leg, and was put down. My horse was so miserable and I remember sending out a desperate plea for the right horse to come into our lives and help my poor sad boy.
I put an add in a local paper and a lady called and said she had an 8yr old TB who refused to be ridden, I went to see him and fellin love with him, she said she didn't want to sell him but would happily let him stay with me for life if things worked out.
He arrived and the boys got on so well, but I did become very aware that this boy had alot of baggage, he spooked very easily, I always feed my horses hedgerow branches in the summer and I remember he took ages to come near the branches, when he actualy gained enough confidance to try some, he took one leaf in his mouth, brought his head up and wheen the rest of the branch followed he freaked, but held it tightly in his mouth, he ran round and around the field in total panic with the rest of this branch following him.
I asked a friend who I had seen healing horses before with amazing results, if she would come and see him, well over a period of 2mths this horse changed dramaticaly, he calmed so much. My friend had such a connection with this lovely boy that she said she would love to take him on, I thought this would be a good idea as I could see how much he loved her. I called the owner, chatted about the horse and she gave me a horrible insight to this poor boy. She had bred him, He had been in a stable for the entirety of his 8yrs in this world except for when her daughter worked with him, she said her daughter had gotten so angry with him on occasions and that the horse had thrown her badly on two occasions. She said she would like to come and visit this girl to meet her and see if she was suitable to take him on.
Well the owner arrived first, and Hamish was standing under a tree, she called him and he refused to come to her, he stayed firmly rooted beneath the tree. When my friend arrived she went into the field and Hamish just ran to her, and put his head to her chest, oh this was too much for the owner, she burst into tears and started saying how hurt she was, she said that she had bred this horse and he was now refusing to come near her, like it was our fault. She said there was no way that she could take the horse on.
A few days later I was walking my dogs and my daughter came screaming up the field, she said , mum there taking Hamish and hitting him over and over again. I ran back as quick as I could and to my horror found the owner with her daughter and another friend trying to load a totaly freaked out Hamish. I screamed at them to put him back, they told me he was their horse and that I had no rights over him, I was crying histericly and begged them to stop hitting him, the memory of that boy rearing up and he looked down at me with all the whites of his eyes showing pleading with me to make them stop. I tried to grab him off the daughter and she ran up the lane with him, she stopped and started hitting him repeatedly around the face and with each strike she was saying, 'I should of had you shot f****** years ago', this was the worst day of my life.
My husband dragged me in the house and said there was nothing I could do, I grabbed the car keys and went looking for them and found their vehical just driving off with Hamish on board.
I rang her the next day and pleaded with her not to hurt him, she didn't want to talk to me, I had no rights over this horse, and who could I complain to, it's widely accepted that people treat horses like this, animal protection groups will only intervene if the animal is starved or in physical pain, but mental abuse to these animals is totaly ignored.
Now this is the bit I wanted ask you April, what does this dream mean as it haunts me to this day, I dreamt (one of those very realistic dreams) That I walked into a yard, the yard was so dirty and horrible, and I knew I was going to see Hamish, and then there before me I could see his back end, he was down on his knees, and I walked around to the front of him, I looke at his face and to my horror his face had been cut off just below his eyes, and his eyes were just staring at me, I felt his saddness, it was awful, then I could see something on the ground to the other side of him, so I walked around to see he had been disembowled and all of his guts were on the floor. I cried and cried and then it all ended. I rang the woman to be told that they had had him shot.
In a way I feel he is now in a better place, I don't feer death and see nothing wrong with it, my saddness comes when animals suffer in this world. Why did I have this dream? What did it mean? It was so horrible, and I will never forget Hamish, I think of him all the time, but the dream still upsets me, it was so real. I would love to know if you have any thoughts on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:57 am 

Annie,

You already knew what this meant. I really don't have to tell you. This didn't mean he was cut up but he might as well be. Everything that was important had no meaning in his life. His guts...his soul was taken out...his mouth...once it kissed, but no more...he had completely fallen apart. Which you already knew.

This is the saddest story that I've heard so far. Do you understand the owner's behaviour? Do you understand that she felt threatened and her fear took complete control. In a lot of ways, what she did to her horse, is also the way she feels about herself. This doesn't give her any right to do what she and her daughter did.

Have you had a dream since his death?

This is not a dream that I would want to remember...I'm sorry you have to endure this. There was a reason why he showed this to you...and not just to say he's dead.

I will try to connect with him some more tonight.

my sympathy

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:55 am 

April, thankyou so much for your answer, yes your right, on reading your reply I am crying right now, this boy has never left me, raw emotions to be sharing on a forum, I only met the daughter twice, once when I looked at Hamish at his home to take him on and then when they came and took him.
It was the daughter that struck me first of all, when I first met her I was aware she seemed 'unhinged' is this a word you are familiar with, she had problems , big problems, maybe abuse I recall wondering, she stayed silent in the corner of the stable while I talked to the mother about Hamish, she never said aword, just looked on, I can remember feeling that this boy was in the centre of something more complicated.
I called out for a horse to come to me in desperation for my horse then, why did Hamish come through? Why even in death has he never left me? I often feel he's still by my side.
This was avery broken horse at the mercy of some very disturbed humans, and I still don't know why he presented himself to me, I just hope we meet again some day. Thankyou April.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:25 am 

Annie,

There was something that Hamish needed to show and teach you. And it could be just having your friend come and show you that there is another world out there. A world that many people will never see or understand. A world of such deepness that there isn't any way of discribing it.

If the mother and daughter had opened their heart, Hamish would've been able to help them, but like you said you called out and Hamish was there. What a very unselfish horse Hamish is.

Life is a journey of disappoint and happiness and you got to witness a transformation happen right before your eyes, and then see this transformation disappear.

Learn from this experience. Remember the happiness, this is what Hamish wants.

Give him time, and he will return to you.

I still feel anguish and I'm thinking it's you're energy not Hamish. It's hard for me to decipher. I feel eyes drooping and the eyes sinking, the withdrawal of life. His heart sinking deeper into dispair, but this was what his life was on earth. You are still holding onto this part. You need to let this go. He can't come back until you can let this go.

The animals wisdom is so much deeper. It's not just the connection of nature but the connection of spirituality. This is something that Hamish understood and showed you. He is a very spiritual horse. He taught you this and this is what you need to hold onto.

Making ones mind stronger...Know that forgiveness is the only way to let go. Be who you are and let yourself shine. He cannot come back until you understand these things for he wants to teach you more.

This is all I'm getting right now. I don't know if any of this makes sense to you or not. I hope I will get more when I go to bed, that's when my mind tends to relax more.

Hamish wants you to forgive and allow him to show you what you really are capable of. He's already show you just how strong of a person you really are. You never thought you were a strong person, but to endure this and the dream it tells another story. You must believe in yourself.

I think the animals are here to help us and to guide us. They are here to show us who we are not who they are. This is where the journey really becomes interesting. To allow ourselves to let go and surrender control, the spiritual world will open. This isn't easy to do and each one of us are at a different level.

I know that I haven't gotten myself figured out and a lot of times I wish I had more control of my own feelings or control of not allowing the animals fears to come in and invade my body. It's hard to keep all of this in check. But it's possible and only hold onto what makes you strong. What I'm saying is the negative energy needs to go. This doesn't mean you forget, but the energy has to go. This negative energy needs to go, otherwise this is what will control you. This is what Hamish wanted to teach you. Then you'll really beable to feel him. You'll know if you're letting go....

Well, I thought I was done, but obviously not...Good night and if there's more I'll be back.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:05 pm 

April, you are right about my saddness, and I know I should not be holding on to such negative thoughts, all this happened quite a few years ago but it still stays with me, it was avery sad time, and I still feel angry towards the owners for not opening up to this lovely horse, like you say, he could of helped them with their issues, but they just wern't open to that, and maybe that is why his time here was short.
I seem to attract the abused animals, or the sick ones and normaly the stories have a happy ending, this one didn't, and I know I always get angry with myself for not doing more for him.
I will try to let go of this saddness, it's just not been that easy after Hamish showed me his ruined soul so graphicaly. He definatly taught me to always try my hardest to understand horses, and it was all down to Hamish that I now do my best to learn the most kindest and most natural ways to interact with horses, but most importantly he taught me to always let my horses know they are very much loved, so he has left his mark, and I know I will never forget him. Thankyou again April, Anne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:17 am 

Hamish didn't come to me last night, and when I woke up this morning and thought about him, I felt really good. So I must've said everything that I needed to say at this time.

I know that your dream and the whole experience isn't something that can just go away with a snap. It's not an easy task.

All I can say is to trust...trust your animals.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:21 am 

Annie,

I just saw your horses. Trust Medicine Hat, have him help you rid this.

Your other two are real goofballs. They must make you laugh. And laughter is the best medicine.

April

April